Shan Statement on the occasion of t

Subject: Shan Statement on the occasion of the East Timorese Referendum  Results:

Shan Statement
on the occasion
of the East Timorese Referendum Results
(10 August 1999)

It was truly a great honor to be there to witness the historic event.

The Shan States and East Timor had several things in common. Both enjoy the
right of self determination being recognized, in the Shan States' case, by
Panglong Agreement and the union constitution, and in East Timor's case, by the
international community. Both were invaded by the military regimes of the
neighboring countries. And both have suffered under alien rule.

The difference is that while the world supported the East Timorese to hold a
free and fair referendum, the people of Shan States are still being denied of
their constitutional right to hold the long overdue plebiscite. This situation
also apply to at least one other constituent state, the Karenni known as Kayah.

The East Timorese people have overwhelmingly voted for total freedom in their
recent referendum on 30 August in the face of violent intimidation by the
pro-Indonesian militia. We are absolutely certain the outcome will be the same,
when the people of Shan States are supported by the international community to
exercise their right.

On this auspicious period, we solemnly urge all those who love democracy and
freedom in the would to lend support to the Shan States as they have to East
Timor so that our people may exercise their universal and constitutional right
of self determination.

I also take this opportunity to express our concern for the burning of the
residence of Rev. Bishop Belo, the Nobel Peace Awards winner.

Sao Ood Kesi,
Shan Representative in East Timor