Shan Statement on the occasion of t (r)

Subject: Shan Statement on the occasion of the East Timorese Referendum Results

------=_NextPart_000_007C_01BEFE0A.CB592E20

SHAN HERALD AGENCY FOR NEWS

S.H.A.N -13 September 1999=20

Shan Statement=20
on the occasion=20
of the East Timorese Referendum Results=20
(10 August 1999)=20

It was truly a great honor to be there to witness the historic event.=20

The Shan States and East Timor had several things in common. Both enjoy =
the
right of self determination being recognized, in the Shan States' case, =
by
Panglong Agreement and the union constitution, and in East Timor's case, =
by the
international community. Both were invaded by the military regimes of =
the
neighboring countries. And both have suffered under alien rule.=20

The difference is that while the world supported the East Timorese to =
hold a
free and fair referendum, the people of Shan States are still being =
denied of
their constitutional right to hold the long overdue plebiscite. This =
situation
also apply to at least one other constituent state, the Karenni known as =
Kayah.

The East Timorese people have overwhelmingly voted for total freedom in =
their
recent referendum on 30 August in the face of violent intimidation by =
the
pro-Indonesian militia. We are absolutely certain the outcome will be =
the same,
when the people of Shan States are supported by the international =
community to
exercise their right.=20

On this auspicious period, we solemnly urge all those who love democracy =
and
freedom in the would to lend support to the Shan States as they have to =
East
Timor so that our people may exercise their universal and constitutional =
right
of self determination.=20

I also take this opportunity to express our concern for the burning of =
the
residence of Rev. Bishop Belo, the Nobel Peace Awards winner.=20

Sao Ood Kesi,=20
Shan Representative in East Timor

------=_NextPart_000_007C_01BEFE0A.CB592E20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG><EM>SHAN HERALD AGENCY FOR=20
NEWS</EM></STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>S.H.A.N -13 September 1999 <BR><BR>Shan =
Statement <BR>on=20
the occasion <BR>of the East Timorese Referendum Results <BR>(10 August =
1999)=20
<BR><BR>It was truly a great honor to be there to witness the historic =
event.=20
<BR><BR>The Shan States and East Timor had several things in common. =
Both enjoy=20
the<BR>right of self determination being recognized, in the Shan States' =
case,=20
by<BR>Panglong Agreement and the union constitution, and in East Timor's =
case,=20
by the<BR>international community. Both were invaded by the military =
regimes of=20
the<BR>neighboring countries. And both have suffered under alien rule.=20
<BR><BR>The difference is that while the world supported the East =
Timorese to=20
hold a<BR>free and fair referendum, the people of Shan States are still =
being=20
denied of<BR>their constitutional right to hold the long overdue =
plebiscite.=20
This situation<BR>also apply to at least one other constituent state, =
the=20
Karenni known as Kayah.<BR><BR><BR>The East Timorese people have =
overwhelmingly=20
voted for total freedom in their<BR>recent referendum on 30 August in =
the face=20
of violent intimidation by the<BR>pro-Indonesian militia. We are =
absolutely=20
certain the outcome will be the same,<BR>when the people of Shan States =
are=20
supported by the international community to<BR>exercise their right. =
<BR><BR>On=20
this auspicious period, we solemnly urge all those who love democracy=20
and<BR>freedom in the would to lend support to the Shan States as they =
have to=20
East<BR>Timor so that our people may exercise their universal and =
constitutional=20
right<BR>of self determination. <BR><BR>I also take this opportunity to =
express=20
our concern for the burning of the<BR>residence of Rev. Bishop Belo, the =
Nobel=20
Peace Awards winner. <BR><BR>Sao Ood Kesi, <BR>Shan Representative in =
East=20
Timor<BR><BR><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_007C_01BEFE0A.CB592E20--