Junta Beefing Up Militia to Counter (r)

Subject: Junta Beefing Up Militia to Counter Shans States Army

------=_NextPart_000_00AB_01BEFE0B.D09873E0

SHAN HERALD AGENCY FOR NEWS

S.H.A.N -13 September 1999=20

Junta Beefing Up Militia to Counter Shans States Army=20

The military commanders in northern Shan States has been trying to =
reorganize
both the Shan militia and ceasefire groups to counter the Shan States =
Army's
northern expeditionary force, said Yawdserk, the SSA's =
commander-in-chief.=20

Yawdserk, during the recent interview on 8 September, told SHAN, Bo Mon, =
the
militia chief of Loimaw, has already received 200 assorted weapons from =
the
SPDC (State Peace and Development Council) commanders.=20

"They also considered appointing Yang Moyong, also an-ex-MTA Chinese =
officer,
to take over the militia operations against Moengzuen (the expeditionary
force's commander), but the field officers refused to accept his
leadership", he
said.=20

"The two ceasefire groups, the Shan State Army (a.k.a Shan States Army =
North,
commander by Loimao) and the Shan State National Army (a.k.a Shan States =
Army
Central, commanded by Gunyord) have been given three choices by the
Northeastern Command: To persuade the SSA to withdraw; to attack the =
SSA; to
remain inside the Hsengkeo area (where the three brigades of the SSA-N =
set up
their General Headquarters)".=20

"Meanwhile, the junta's idea is to stay back and observe how thing are
developing. They are limiting their campaign against our troops merely =
patrols and surveillances and not much on actual armed engagements".=20

An observer from Thailand later remarked that the Burmese were betting
rivalries and disagreements would develop among the Shan groups that =
might lead
to eventual armed clashes "which suited the junta".=20

"The Shan State Peace Committee (joint leadership of the SSA-N and the =
SSNA) is
trying the first choice i.e. persuading me to leave. But the local =
people are
saying we should not".=20

Inquired about the military situation, he said, "There are few =
engagements, as
our primary aim itself is not to wage a military campaign as yet, but to
organize the people". Asked about possible forced relocations, he =
replied, "As
yet I have received no reports about removing the people from their =
homes,
although there are a lot of abuses committed against them".=20

Militia leaders, who were suspected of collaborating with the SSA, were
arrested and tortured, he added. Among them was Khun Yawdmoeng, son of =
the late
Prince of Moengtawn and stepbrother of Khun Sa.=20

/// END \\\=20
For further information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:=20
Shan Herald Agency for News, P.O. Box. 15, Nonghoi P.O., 50007, =
Chiangmai,
Thailand. =20
Ph/Fax: (053) 807 121.=20
e-mail: <shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>=20

S.H.A.N. is a non-profit making, independent Shan media group. It is not
affiliated to any political or armed organizations.=20

------=_NextPart_000_00AB_01BEFE0B.D09873E0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG><EM>SHAN HERALD AGENCY FOR=20
NEWS</EM></STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>S.H.A.N -13 September 1999 =
<BR><BR>Junta Beefing Up=20
Militia to Counter Shans States Army </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>The military commanders in northern =
Shan States=20
has been trying to reorganize<BR>both the Shan militia and ceasefire =
groups to=20
counter the Shan States Army's<BR>northern expeditionary force, said =
Yawdserk,=20
the SSA's commander-in-chief. <BR><BR>Yawdserk, during the recent =
interview on 8=20
September, told SHAN, Bo Mon, the<BR>militia chief of Loimaw, has =
already=20
received 200 assorted weapons from the<BR>SPDC (State Peace and =
Development=20
Council) commanders. <BR><BR>"They also considered appointing Yang =
Moyong, also=20
an-ex-MTA Chinese officer,<BR>to take over the militia operations =
against=20
Moengzuen (the expeditionary<BR>force's commander), but the field =
officers=20
refused to accept his<BR>leadership", he<BR>said. <BR><BR>"The two =
ceasefire=20
groups, the Shan State Army (a.k.a Shan States Army North,<BR>commander =
by=20
Loimao) and the Shan State National Army (a.k.a Shan States =
Army<BR>Central,=20
commanded by Gunyord) have been given three choices by =
the<BR>Northeastern=20
Command: To persuade the SSA to withdraw; to attack the SSA; =
to<BR>remain inside=20
the Hsengkeo area (where the three brigades of the SSA-N set up<BR>their =
General=20
Headquarters)". <BR><BR>"Meanwhile, the junta's idea is to stay back and =
observe=20
how thing are<BR>developing. They are limiting their campaign against =
our troops=20
merely to<BR>patrols and surveillances and not much on actual armed=20
engagements". <BR><BR>An observer from Thailand later remarked that the =
Burmese=20
were betting<BR>rivalries and disagreements would develop among the Shan =
groups=20
that might lead<BR>to eventual armed clashes "which suited the junta".=20
<BR><BR>"The Shan State Peace Committee (joint leadership of the SSA-N =
and the=20
SSNA) is<BR>trying the first choice i.e. persuading me to leave. But the =
local=20
people are<BR>saying we should not". <BR><BR>Inquired about the military =

situation, he said, "There are few engagements, as<BR>our primary aim =
itself is=20
not to wage a military campaign as yet, but to<BR>organize the people". =
Asked=20
about possible forced relocations, he replied, "As<BR>yet I have =
received no=20
reports about removing the people from their homes,<BR>although there =
are a lot=20
of abuses committed against them". <BR><BR>Militia leaders, who were =
suspected=20
of collaborating with the SSA, were<BR>arrested and tortured, he added. =
Among=20
them was Khun Yawdmoeng, son of the late<BR>Prince of Moengtawn and =
stepbrother=20
of Khun Sa. <BR><BR>/// END \\\ <BR>For further information, please =
contact=20
S.H.A.N. at: <BR>Shan Herald Agency for News, P.O. Box. 15, Nonghoi =
P.O., 50007,=20
Chiangmai,<BR>Thailand.&nbsp; <BR>Ph/Fax: (053) 807 121. <BR>e-mail: =
&lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx";>shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt; =
<BR><BR><BR>S.H.A.N.=20
is a non-profit making, independent Shan media group. It is =
not<BR>affiliated to=20
any political or armed organizations. =
<BR><BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00AB_01BEFE0B.D09873E0--