Salween river dam project

Dear Sirs,

I learnt that the Asian Institute of Technology, in co-operation with Oregon
University, asked representatives of the Burmese military regime and various
business groups to discuss ways of damming Burma's Salween river.

I am  deeply concerned about the plans of damming the Salween river. I think
this
will be another project of hardcore exploitation of the nature and
particularly of
marvelous people living along a marvelous stream.

It seems, that the organisers deliberately excluded members of the Burmese
opposition and ethnic groups from this week's Chiang Mai meeting to avoid
upsetting
Rangoon.

The conference legitimises and encourages controversial proposals to inflict
potentially massive disruption on communities which will have no veto over
development.

Therefore I urgently ask you that all future talks over the exploitation of
the Salween
river must recognise the right of local people to take part in any
negotiations.

Kris B. Flasar

Free Burma !!! Free Burma !!! Free Burma !!! Free Burma !!! Free Burma !!!
Free.Burma !!!

Links for conscious people:
http://www.freeburmacoalition.org/
http://www.metalab.unc.edu/freeburma/links.html
http://www.karen.org/
http://shanland.org/shrf/
http://www.angelfire.com/nf/chokhlei/index.html
http://www.albany.edu/%7Egb661/index.html

Free Burma !!! Free Burma !!! Free Burma !!! Free Burma !!! Free Burma !!!
Free Burma