Food for Thought...

This comes from the Canadian Union of Postal Workers

Subject: CUPW to boycott mail bound for the Indonesian embassy

For immediate release   September 14, 1999

CUPW to boycott mail bound for the Indonesian embassy

OTTAWA - Post office workers won't deliver mail to the Indonesian
embassy because Indonesia has failed to stop the massacres and
deportation of East Timorese and co-operates during the interim period
until peace keepers are in place.

"We have no doubt that the Indonesian government can turn the violence
on and off at will," said CUPW President Dale Clark. "Our action, as
well as the actions of other trade unions, are designed to pressure
them to turn the tap off."

The Canadian Labour Congress asked its affiliated unions, including
CUPW, to refuse to handle goods or services to or from Indonesia.

Clark called upon the Federal Government to follow the unions' lead.

"Hours after US President Bill Clinton's declared a military embargo
and a freeze on IMF and World Bank loans Indonesia agreed to let
peacekeepers in," Clark said. "Sanctions work. And Canada should use
its economic leverage to protect the East Timorese in deportation camps
as well as those still in East Timor."

CUPW members and people concerned about East Timor will gather at the
Indonesian Embassy at 55 Parkdale Ave, starting at 8:30 am, Wednesday,
September 15th.

For background information or to arrange an interview, contact Chris
Lawson at 613 236 7230 ext 7914 or e-mail clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx