United Nations' Global Human Rights

Subject: United Nations' Global Human Rights Atlas

Declaration of Human Rights, the United Nations has commissioned a Global
Atlas of Human Rights.  Directed toward youth aged 15-18, it will contain
biography-based education about a worldwide group of activists working in
both local and global causes. Please help us with this exciting project by
replying to this email with your nominations for activists or groups who
should be included. We would also love to hear from you with ideas for the
project itself.

****

Dear List Members,

    The United Nations is preparing a Global Atlas of Human Rights. This
Atlas is a youth-directed story-based curriculum designed to educate,
inspire, and empower a worldwide youth audience. The project will come in
two forms, a printed book and a website. The book will contain stories from
activists whose work relate to the articles of the UHDR. Also, the book
will present concrete steps for action which the youth audience can follow
to get involved in the Human Rights movement. Designed with the current
worldwide youth market firmly in mind, the book strives to introduce a new
generation into the global struggle for human rights.

    The website will contain more in-depth information, plus curricula for
teachers and other leaders who are using the Atlas. Hopefully, it will also
include a multimedia repository, games, etc.

    On the whole, this project has a thrilling potential to reach a vast
audience. But it needs your help. Specifically, we need two things. First,
and most important, we need nominations for activists or groups who should
be included in the work. They must be a truly international bunch, with no
one region or country over-represented. They can be active in global
issues, or locally in their own backyards. Hopefully, they will have been
active at the age of the audience (15-18) so that that audience can relate
more fully to their experiences. Please reply to this email with your
nominations, and I will get in touch with you about your nominations. Or,
just tell me who I should call to solicit nominations. The scope of this
project, and the short time we have to complete it, mean that any
nominations you can submit will make a big difference in the final quality
of the work.

    Secondly, I believe that this Atlas should be put together with a big
consortium of human rights workers. If you are willing to donate a bit of
your time toward writing, editing, page layout or graphic design for the
Atlas, you would be helping in a cause that binds us all together: telling
the Story of human rights. Most of this work would be pro bono, but heavy
involvement could involve some compensation. Also, if you have any
suggestions as to printers or designers who might be willing to donate
their time or services, please email those to me as well.

    Thank you for your time in reading this. This project, I believe,
represents a departure from most work by and around human rights. Rather
than an academic curriculum, it's a dynamic piece of storytelling designed
to inspire youth worldwide. With your help, it could have quite an impact.
In any case, I hope you find it useful and enjoy it when the Atlas appears.

Mitch Stripling
Global Atlas for Human Rights
Project Associate
Email me directly: mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx