Than Shwe sends felicitations to Me

Subject: Than Shwe sends felicitations to Mexico

Ce message est en plusieurs parties sous format MIME.

--------------5D7B78DE5824

That's a good one. Here's another for any of you who dont know about
the corrupt mexican political drug elite, I know from the inside,
embassy sources, its rotten to the core... very very rotten. oil
companies and drugs, seem to be in the flow, together...
ds

OKKAR66129@xxxxxxx wrote:

> State Peace and Development Council Chairman Senior  General  Than Shwe sends
> felicitations to Mexico
>

>        YANGON, 16  Sept-Senior  General Than Shwe,
> Chairman  of  the  State  Peace  and   Development
> Council  of the  Union  of  Myanmar,  has  sent  a
> message  of  felicitations  to His  Excellency  Mr
> Ernesto  Zedillo  Ponce de Leon,  President of the
> United Mexican States, on the Independence  Day of
> the  United  Mexican  States  which  falls  on  16
> September 1999.

--------------5D7B78DE5824

 [Yahoo!News]Home - Yahoo! - My Yahoo! - News Alerts - Help [ReutersNewMedia]

                                [Click Here]

 Home |  Top Stories | Business |  Tech | Politics |  World | Local |  Entertainment | Sports |  Science | Health

 Yahoo! News                                               World Headlines
Thursday September 16 5:12 PM ET

Mexico Ex-Prosecutor Blames Zedillo In Note

  [Reuters Photo]  By Patrick Rizzo
   Reuters Photo
                   NEW YORK (Reuters) - A former Mexican prosecutor who
committed suicide while awaiting a U.S. trial for alleged money-laundering
left behind a dramatic suicide note blaming top Mexican politicians,
including President Ernesto Zedillo, for driving him to his death, his
attorney said Thursday.

Mario Ruiz Massieu, 48, found dead Wednesday at his home in Palisades Park,
New Jersey, where he had been under house arrest, also blamed members of
Mexico's ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) for the September
1994 murder of his brother, PRI leader Jose Francisco Ruiz Massieu.

``The letter is the expression of a psychopath,'' Mexican Attorney General
Jorge Madrazo, one of those named in the suicide note, said in a news
conference on the sidelines of military parades in Mexico City marking
Independence Day.

Madrazo denied that he and other Mexican officials had harassed Ruiz
Massieu, as the note alleged, saying that the former official was wanted in
Mexico because the justice system had evidence of his links with drug
traffickers.

``With his death yesterday, the Mexican government believes it has won,''
said Ruiz Massieu's lawyer Cathy Fleming, at an emotional news conference
in New York with his widow Maria Eugenia where they released his suicide
note.

``Because he dared to criticize publicly the Zedillo administration and
that criticism was aired worldwide, Mexico has fabricated evidence,
tortured people to make them witnesses, and used the United States to hound
and harass its accuser,'' Fleming said.

When asked if she had any message to send the Zedillo government, Ruiz
Massieu's widow said no and held up his suicide note before the reporters
and cameramen.

Fleming added that there was a private note from Ruiz Massieu, who had
suffered clinical depression for many years, to his wife and his daughter
Regina that would not be made public.

Ruiz Massieu left Mexico in 1995 amid charges that he had tried to cover up
an investigation into his brother's death.

U.S. officials arrested Ruiz Massieu in March 1995 in Newark, New Jersey,
as he was about to board a plane for Spain with his wife and daughter. He
was carrying $46,000 in undeclared cash.

Those currency charges against Ruiz Massieu were later dropped, but he has
lived under house arrest in New Jersey ever since, fighting extradition to
Mexico, where he faced charges including collaborating with drug
traffickers.

In August, U.S. officials indicted him on 25 counts of conspiracy and money
laundering and he was due to be arraigned on those charges in Houston,
Texas Friday.

In his suicide note Ruiz Massieu proclaimed his innocence.

``Ernesto Zedillo never forgave me for denouncing the leaders of the PRI in
November 1994. He took revenge for that,'' he wrote. ``To find my brother's
murderers an investigation should be initiated beginning with Zedillo.''

``Members of the PRI assassinated my brother,'' he wrote.

Ruiz Massieu, whom officials said committed suicide with an overdose of
anti-depressants, was accused in the recent indictment of receiving $9.9
million dollars from Mexican drug traffickers in return for protection and
stashing the money in a Houston bank account through an intermediary.

If convicted on the charges against him, he would have faced up to 20 years
in prison and a $500,000 fine.

``We had every expectation that we would win...in Houston against these
charges,'' Fleming said.

Ruiz Massieu already had been through a civil trial on money laundering
charges in Texas in 1997, when the U.S. government sued him to try to keep
millions of dollars seized from his Texas bank account.

The jury partially vindicated him, deciding that he had taken millions of
dollars in bribes from drug traffickers, but that he had not laundered the
money.

On a poignant note in the suicide letter, Ruiz Massieu said: ''I loved life
and I left when I became tired of loving it without living it. I wish that
with my departure, Ernesto Zedillo once and for all will leave my family in
peace, stopping persecution against them.''

Fleming said that Ruiz Massieu's wife and child were seeking political
asylum in the United States. ``Despite what has happened, they are very
happy in New Jersey,'' she said.

She said Ruiz Massieu's body would remain in the United States and be
buried at a private ceremony in accordance with his wishes.

Ruiz Massieu's two older brothers were shot dead in 1965 by the father of a
girl one of them was seeing. His brother Jose Francisco's assassination
came almost 30 years later.

                  Search News Stories   Search News Photos

Sep 15 | Sep 14 | Sep 13 | Sep 12 | Sep 11 | Sep 10 | Sep 09 | Sep 08 | Sep
                                07 | Sep 06

 Home |  Top Stories | Business |  Tech | Politics |  World | Local |  Entertainment | Sports |  Science | Health

                           Questions or Comments
        Copyright © 1996-1999 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
 Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited
               without the prior written consent of Reuters.
Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for
                   any actions taken in reliance thereon.

--------------5D7B78DE5824--