Shock As British Woman Is Jailed In

Subject: Shock As British Woman Is Jailed In Burma

</b>Source:
Posted by: <b>ShweInc NEWs<br>
court on a British woman for singing a pro-democracy song has been
greeted with shock and disbelief by her family. <br>
Rachel Goldwyn, 28, from Barnes, south west London, was given seven years
with labour, dashing all hopes that she would be merely expelled from the
country for her alleged crime. <br>
A Foreign Office spokesman confirmed that she had been found guilty of
&quot;endangering peace, security and stability&quot; by a court at
Insein prison, in Rangoon, and added: &quot;We are shocked by the
severity of the sentence.&quot; <br>
He continued: &quot;The British Consul, Frank Marshall, attended the
hearing as did her lawyer. We understand that Rachel will appeal, but
that could take several months.&quot; <br>
The British Ambassador in Rangoon is set to discuss the case with the
Burmese authorities, he confirmed. <br>
Ms Goldwyn was arrested in Rangoon the Burmese capital, after she chained
herself to a lamp post and sang a pro-democracy song on September 7. She
was tried under the Emergency Provisions Act, used by the repressive
Burmese military regime to suppress dissent. <br>
The dedicated human rights campaigner looked saddened, but otherwise had
no reaction when the Rangoon court announced the verdict and sentence.
Asked by the judge if she was guilty of actions likely to cause public
unrest - the charge against her - Ms Goldwyn admitted the facts of her
case but denied that her motive was to disrupt stability. <br>
Her mother, Charmian Goldwyn, who described her daughter as &quot;caring
and compassionate&quot;, said: &quot;We are absolutely devastated. We
really didn't expect it. We expected a suspended sentence. It is terrible
trying to ring the family up. Everybody cries when I tell them.&quot;
Mrs Goldwyn, a GP, and her husband, Ed, a TV producer, had thought their
youngest daughter was on holiday in Germany and had been unaware of her
protest plans until they were informed of her arrest. <br>
<BR>