The Nation (23-9-99)

Reuters<br>
'hampering Burma democracy'<br>
Aung San Suu Kyi has criticised Australia, saying its policy towards her
military-ruled homeland was hampering moves for democracy.<br>
In a 10-minute video address to the Australian parliament yesterday, Suu
Kyi condemned Australian Human Rights Commissioner Chris Sidoti?s visit
last month to Burma, saying it could be seen as endorsing Burma?s
military rulers.<br>
?We think the timing of the visit was wrong and that it was ill-advised.
At this time, when the military authorities are at their most oppressive,
the message could be misconstrued,? said Suu Kyi in the video smuggled
out of Burma.<br>
?It could be seen as endorsement of their policies. It could, in fact, be
seen as the tacit approval of what they are doing to thedemocratic forces
in Burma,? she said.<br>
The Australian government defended its decision to send Sidoti to
Rangoon, saying little had changed in the country for such a long period
of time that new measures were needed.<br>
?There has not been a lot of movement so we are trying to explore,
tentatively, some new avenues to see if it might improve the situation,?
government parliamentarian Peter Nugent said after the video
presentation. Nugent, who was representing Foreign Minister Alexander
Downer, said Sidoti?s visit opened the way for talks with the military
regime, but stressed Australia would not act without proof of its
commitment to improving the situation.<br>
?We?re still looking to advance democracy and human rights in that
country and if we think we can find some alternative ways of doing it,
then we feel we have a responsibility to do that,? he said.<br>
International human rights groups have accused the Burmese military
government of widespread human iights abuses, including mass arrests and
torture, against political opponents since seizing power in 1988 by
crushing a pro-democracy uprising.<br>
Sidoti went to Burma in August to explore the possibility of forming an
independent human rights organisation there, an idea first proposed by
Downer over a year ago.<br>
<BR>