Bangkok post (26-9-99) perspective

<dl><br>
<dd>Drug suppression calls for sacrifice <br>
<dd> ANTI-DRUG FIGHT:<i>Without closing border crossing, ya baa addiction
may be here to stay</i>
</dl>Regional cooperation is needed to fight the amphetamine scourge
which claims more young Thai victims each year, according to Pol Maj Gen
Viraj Jutimitta, deputy commissioner of the Royal Thai Police Office=92s
Narcotic Suppression Bureau (NSB).The closure of border passes in Chiang
Mai and Chiang Rai has helped stem the flow of amphetamines from areas
controlled by the United Wa State Army (UWSA) in Burma. But the problem
is not over because the UWSA is likely to shift its bases=20
elsewhere.<br>
=93It=92s quite certain that they=92ll move to border areas in Laos, opposit=
Chiang Saen or Chiang Khong district of Chiang Rai. If so, the
trafficking route will likely be shifted to the northeast across the
Mekong River,=94 said Pol Maj Gen Viraj in an interview with <i>Sunday
Perspective.<br>
</i>=93But this would mean the drug guys will have to pay more to get their
stuff to Bangkok, which is the main distribution centre. The police will
also have more time to halt them.=94<br>
Yet, there are many other potential production sites along the border
with Burma in Mae Hong Son province, he said. From there, it is easier to
smuggle the drug into Thailand than the northeastern route. From Mae Hong
Son, amphetamines can be smuggled to Tak and then on to Uthai Thani and
Suphan Burt, which is close to Bangkok.<br>
Pol Maj Gen Viraj is concerned about China=92s plan to build a deep sea
port in Muang Mom in Laos, north of Chiang Saen. The port could
facilitate an influx of petrol, military equipment and drugs into the
area. At present, China mainly transports argricultural produce and
electrical appliances via Chiang Saen harbour.<br>
But PoT Maj Gen Viraj stressed that Thailand and Burma have worked
together to tackle the drug problem. Both countries have set up joint
suppression units in Thachilek, Myawaddy and Koh Tong in Burma.<br>
=93We can see that the Burmese authorities are sincere about helping us
combat the illicit drug activities even though there is a limit to what
they can do. They are aware of the gravity of the problems, both in their
country and ours,=94 he said.<br>
Drug abuse is a growing problem in Burma. The Burmese government is also
under pressure to prove to the world community that it does not turn a
blind eye to the narcotics problem.<br>
The seriousness of the Burmese authorities can be seen in their
successful suppression operations, he said.<br>
Large quantities of drugs,particularly amphetamines,have been seized
during the first six months of this year. As many as 20-30 million
amphetamine tablets were confiscated by Burmese authorities. =93When they
burned the drugs, I was one of the people invited to light the bonfire,=94
said Pol Maj Gen Viraj, who has been involved in drug suppression for
over 30 years.<br>
The officer Pol&nbsp; Maj Gen Viraj said the success of drug suppression
depends on cooperation among Asian neighbours, particularly Burma.<br>
=93Thai-Burmese cooperation such as in Thachilek shows that both countries
are sincere and serious in eradicating the drug problem,=94 he said.<br>
Problems faced by Burma and Thailand are similar. Government officials,
soldiers, politicians and influential. local figures all engage in the
drug trade.<br>
=93We=92re in a difficult situation,=94 lamented Pol Maj Gen Viraj.<br>
=93In the old days, we fought hard against the influx of heroin that passed
through Thailand to third countries... Now we face the spread of <i>ya
baa </i>(amphetamines) which destroy our human resources, particularly
young&nbsp; people.<br>
=93So it=92s important for Asian countries which are affected by the problem=
,
such as China, Burma, Laos and<br>
=95 Thailand, to stick together and help one another.=94<br>
BELATED ACTION<br>
=93The checkpoint should have been closed a long time ago,=94 he said
referring to Ban San Ton Du pass in Mae Ai district of Chiang Mai, which
was ordered closed on August 4 this year.<br>
=93Apart from stemming the drug flow, it can effectively control the rapid
expansion of the UWSA and its arsenal. It also cuts the supply line to
the area,=92=92 he added.<br>
The UWSA has pursued the drug trade aggressively. Goods, and equipment
sent through San Ton Du pass had transformed its stronghold in Mong Yawn
into a thriving township. The Wa is building a hydro-electric dam, which
can feed its drug factories.<br>
=93Heroin will end up in third countries, while amphetamines are aimed for
Thailand,=94 Pol Maj Gen Viraj said.<br>
The spread of drugs, particularly in schools, has become a major problem
in Thailand. Two million young Thais are believed to be addicted to
amphetamines, and the number will grow unless the authorities step up
suppression.<br>
All border passes should be closed with the exception of the one in the
Thai district of Mae Sai, opposite Thachilek in Burma, suggested Pol Maj
Gen Viraj. Random checkpoints should be set up on highways.<br>
The suppression needs to be pursued vigorously and continuously to ensure
success, he said. Strategies must be reviewed and upgraded
constantly.<br>
=93We need to be pro-active and aggressive... We must be prepared to
sacrifice economic gains for the sake of our younger generations,=94 Pol
Maj Gen Viraj said.<br>
To weed out the drug networks, influential people behind the scenes must
be exposed and penalised, he said. Firms which supply goods, whether food
or building materials, must be thoroughly checked to see if there are any
money laundering activities involved.<br>
The Money Laundering Bill, which has been in effect since August 20, must
be strictly enforced.<br>
The supply of petrol to the border areas should also be strictly
controlled, he said. Without petrol, the IJWSA cannot produce drugs or
transport them over the Thai border.<br>
<BR>