ARTICLE : BURMA or BUST PAGE 1

Full Text
http://www.outsidemag.com:80/magazine/1099/199910hardway1.html

Outside magazine, October 1999
                                                       Page: 1 | 2 | 3 |
4

                   A half-mad dash to Hkakabo Razi seemed like a good
idea
                   at the time. And hey, how tough can it be to sneak
past the
                   Chinese Army?

                   By Mark Jenkins

                   I feel the lorry slow down and
                   press my face against the
                   metal slats. We are passing
                   through a black forest. In the
                   walleyed beam of one
                   headlight, I make out men with
                   rifles standing in the road
                   ahead.

                   "Keith!" I croak in the
                   darkness. "Steve! Cops!"

                   The three of us burrow beneath
                   the canvas tarp in the bed of
                   the truck, just as we've already
                   done at a dozen military checkpoints. Bruce, our
Chinese
                   interpreter­cum­flimflam man, is riding up in the cab
with the driver.
                   He'll pass the cash and crouch on the floorboards.

                   We're en route to Burma (officially known as Myanmar)
via the
                   most beautiful path possible: across eastern Tibet.
Our traveling
                   companions in the bed of the truck are Tibetan
pilgrims. Stoic
                   inside their huge sheepskin coats, eyes closed, black
ponytails
                   lifting in the cold night wind, they're pretending to
sleep. When we
                   hide underneath the tarp they slide their
leather-bound bundles on
                   top of us. Eastern Tibet is generally closed to
                   foreigners?especially foreigners like us, with no
permit to travel.
                   Were it not for the quiet help of the Tibetans, our
journey would be
                   impossible. Like all people who live under foreign
occupation,
                   Tibetans are rebels. They countenance those who
thwart authority.

                   The truck jerks to a stop. Through the slats I watch
three Chinese
                   soldiers approach the cab. They bark orders at the
driver, and he
                   gets out. The soldiers, bundled in quilted fatigues
against the
                   October cold, are belligerent and friendly and drunk.
I don't know
                   what's being said, but I know what's going on. The
driver gives
                   each of them a handful of bills and takes a swig of
beer from their
                   bottle. Then he climbs back into the cab and fires
the engine.

                   The truck begins to lumber forward, heavy and
loose-jointed. I
                   think we're home free when one of the soldiers bounds
up onto the
                   running board. Suddenly he is shouting?he's spotted
Bruce. He
                   swings his rifle through the window and the driver
cuts the motor.

                   I can hear Bruce opening his door and talking fast,
but it doesn't
                   help. The soldiers climb up into the bed of the truck
and peel back
                   the canvas with the muzzles of their weapons. Bruce
makes one
                   more valiant effort to bribe them, but what's beer
money compared
                   to capturing three lao wai?

                   We're taken to a sleepy commander wearing an enormous
green
                   trench coat, a fur aviator cap too small for his
round head, and
                   muddy bedroom slippers. He sits behind a rickety desk
in an
                   unheated barracks. Bruce does the talking while we do
our best to
                   look bewildered and guileless.

                   No money changes hands?a bad sign. Money is the
smoothest
                   lubricant on earth, liquor a close second. With both,
many an
                   ungainly situation can be coaxed to glide along. With
neither, it's
                   like trying to push a safe through sand.

                   The commander's face betrays nothing. He is neither
overtly brutal
                   nor fatuously easygoing; he is officious, distracted,
disinterested,
                   and cannot be bought. So why has he been sent to this
                   end-of-the-world outpost? On second thought,
unbribability may be
                   a career liability in the Chinese Army.

                   Eventually the commander waves his hand, lazily, like
a king, and
                   the soldiers escort us outside. I ask Bruce what's
going on.

                   "Is not so good. He say interrogation begin at
midnight."

                   The moon is glimmering on an archipelago of puddles
that will be
                   frozen by morning. Mountains black out most of the
starry sky.
                   The soldiers from the checkpoint march us through the
village on
                   log planks laid in the mud, the lorry heaving along
behind like a
                   forlorn elephant. Outside a walled compound the
Tibetans hand
                   down our gear.

                   Inside the compound we're put into a room with wooden
beds and
                   straw mattresses and told to wait. The moment they
leave we
                   huddle to get our story straight.

                   Whenever you are arrested, anywhere in the world, you
have to
                   have a story. This is fundamental. As with stories
for other
                   occasions, the tale need not be the truth. What it
absolutely must
                   be is believable. Verisimilitude is the god of all
good stories. The
                   truth is often complicated and not always
particularly plausible, so
                   you have to decide whether it's really the tale you
want to tell.

                   In our case, the truth is that we're on a clandestine
expedition. Our
                   plan is?or was?to slip down to the southeastern tip
of Tibet,
                   cross the border, and make the first ascent of
Hkakabo Razi, at
                   19,260 feet the highest peak in Burma. After the
climb, assuming
                   everything was still going well, we intended to walk
the legendary
                   Stilwell Road?a military highway built by the
Americans during
                   World War II and then abandoned to the jungle in
1946?until we
                   crossed back into China or were arrested and
deported. We're
                   heading to northern Burma by way of Tibet because the
Myanmar
                   government refused to even consider our expedition.

                   This is the truth. A wildly implausible story that
implies we are
                   premeditated lawbreakers. Bruce suggests we claim to
be
                   ordinary feebleminded tourists who have no idea how
we ended up
                   400 miles beyond anyplace we're allowed to be.

                   For the next few hours we do whatever people do when
they are
                   waiting for something that just might not turn out to
be hunky-dory.
                   Keith, tall and strong as a Giacometti sculpture,
fiddles
                   incessantly with the straps of his backpack. Steve,
his mouth
                   sealed even tighter than usual, glares blankly at the
blank walls.
                   Bruce plays with his thin mustache and smokes one
cheap
                   cigarette after another. I scribble in my journal.

                   At the stroke of midnight, having let our
imaginations run wild,
                   we're fidgety. At 12:30 we stop holding our breath.
At 1 a.m. we
                   uncork our sleeping bags and go to sleep.

                   I wake just before dawn. Not a soldier in sight.
Inertia and ennui
                   are the two most wonderful loopholes in any
bureaucracy.
                   Combined, they often form a hole big enough to crawl
right
                   through.

                   I tiptoe over and shake Bruce. "Let's get out of
here."

                   Bruce blinks, looks around, and trills, "Jailbreak!"
He's learned half
                   his English watching bad American movies. His full
nickname is
                   Bruce Lee, although he is too out of shape to fight,
doesn't climb,
                   and can't hike worth a damn. The name refers to his
quickness of
                   mind and tongue, not body.

                   "Out of sight, out of mind," I say. Bruce loves
American idioms.

                   "Ah, good one," he says.

                   The four of us slip out of the compound, Bruce bribes
another
                   never-sober trucker, and we're on the lam.

                   Illustration by John Harlin