URGENT! (r)

--=====================_36411245==_.ALT

Think about that! and fix it wisely!

        Burmese Students need to consider the situation in the safe camp very
carefully while taking temporary refuge on Thai soil because Thailand is not
our mother land and we need to respect our host country for their friendliness
and understanding.
UNHCR need to warn to those who broke the laws and regulations but not cut off
their assistance out right.  UNHCR need to set up the limit which will allow to
fix the current situation.  If UNHCR declare that those who broke the law for
three times will not get their assistance.  Then, if someone broke it they will
take an action to that person.  Out right rejection is a cruel act and it is
not fair for those who visited BKK for the first time.

        In the past, UNHCR gave 100 US dollars to the Burmese refugees who live
in BKK for their rental fees and food.  After the safe camps has been
established they only give 800 baht.  Other foreigners who sought refugees in
Thailand get more than 100 US dollars from UNHCR.  There is some negative
parameter  that UNHCR secretly set for the Burmese students when Chavalit was
in power.  Burmese political refugees never get an equal status as other
refugees such as Iran, Chinese, and refugees from Eastern Europe who can live
freely in BKK and get more money than the Burmese students.

        Also Burmese students need to know that Thais have their own limitation
and tolerence level to the Burmese refugees, do not cross the line for the sake
of the whole population in the camp and border region.  Students need to know
that there might have some plot created by the Burmese regime to close the safe
camp by using their agents to agitate the students in the camp who are home
sick and frustrated.

        Thai tolerance level is much much higher than the Burmese and we
need to
respect that for the sake of our own good and our goal for democracy.

Htun Aung Gyaw

At 10:08 AM 10/20/1999 -0700, shwenanda@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]
> Refugees-one French woman and four Thais-were locked up in their offices for
> several hours after some of the Burmese students at the holding centre were
> denied their 800-baht monthly allowances because they had left the camp to
> join protests against Rangoon's military junta.
> They released the officials only after the governor of Ratchaburi, Komet
> Daengkomane, paid them out of his own pocket.
> Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan yesterday said the government found the
> Burmese students' action unacceptable, adding they would face more
> restrictive measures.
> M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, the deputy foreign minister, said yesterday the
> UNHCR would have to improve its control system at the Maneeloy centre.
> M.R. Sukhumbhand said the student exiles should appreciate the privileges
> granted them by the Thai government and must not take advantage of Thailand's
> generosity.
> But he urged patience, saying the problem of Burmese student exiles in
> Thailand could not be solved overnight.
> The only way to end the trouble fast was to drive all of them back into
> Burma, "but no-one wants to do that", he added.
> M.R. Sukhumbhand said yesterday so far 13 countries have shown interest in
> accepting Burmese students taking refuge in Thailand for resettlement.
> Two of them, the United States and Canada, even pledged to take up to 2,000
> of the 2,700 Maneeloy students, he added.
> M.R Sukhumbhand said the Foreign Ministry has remained in contact with Burma
> despite its decision to close its borders with Thailand following the Oct 1-2
> armed seizure of the Burmese embassy in Bangkok by five Burmese dissidents.
> However, he said, talks to settle differences between the two countries have
> been difficult because Burma has not said what it wants.
> The Foreign Ministry has invited the Burmese deputy foreign minister to visit
> Bangkok but there has been no response from him so far.
> Niran Kalayanamit, the Maneeloy centre's deputy director, yesterday said
> protests against UN officials by Burmese students over their allowances or
> medication were nothing out of the ordinary.
> The Ratchaburi governor said an investigation panel has been set up to find
> out if the locking up of UNHCR officials was a criminal offence.
> Governor Komet yesterday denied he had been too lenient with the disgruntled
> students by agreeing to pay them, saying he was ordered to do everything
> possible to ensure the safety of the five UNHCR officials.
> The Maneeloy centre would have to be expanded and its security stepped up, he
> said, adding that some 1,000 Burmese students living outside the camp might
> be ordered to move back in.
> The UNHCR yesterday said in a press release it did not consider the locking
> up of the five officials to be a major incident.
> However, the event would be fully investigated and the UNHCR would discuss
> with Thai authorities measures to prevent it from recurring.

--=====================_36411245==_.ALT

<b>Think about that! and fix it wisely!<br>
</b><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Burmese
Students need to consider the situation in the safe camp very carefully
while taking temporary refuge on Thai soil because Thailand is not our
mother land and we need to respect our host country for their
friendliness and understanding.&nbsp; <br>
UNHCR need to warn to those who broke the laws and regulations but not
cut off their assistance out right.&nbsp; UNHCR need to set up the limit
which will allow to fix the current situation.&nbsp; If UNHCR declare
that those who broke the law for three times will not get their
assistance.&nbsp; Then, if someone broke it they will take an action to
that person.&nbsp; Out right rejection is a cruel act and it is not fair
for those who visited BKK for the first time.<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>In the
past, UNHCR gave 100 US dollars to the Burmese refugees who live in BKK
for their rental fees and food.&nbsp; After the safe camps has been
established they only give 800 baht.&nbsp; Other foreigners who sought
refugees in Thailand get more than 100 US dollars from UNHCR.&nbsp; There
is some negative parameter&nbsp; that UNHCR secretly set for the Burmese
students when Chavalit was in power.&nbsp; Burmese political refugees
never get an equal status as other refugees such as Iran, Chinese, and
refugees from Eastern Europe who can live freely in BKK and get more
money than the Burmese students. <br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Also
Burmese students need to know that Thais have their own limitation and
tolerence level to the Burmese refugees, do not cross the line for the
sake of the whole population in the camp and border region.&nbsp;
Students need to know that there might have some plot created by the
Burmese regime to close the safe camp by using their agents to agitate
the students in the camp who are home sick and frustrated.<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Thai
tolerance level is much much higher than the Burmese and we need to
respect that for the sake of our own good and our goal for
democracy.<br>
Htun Aung Gyaw<br>
At 10:08 AM 10/20/1999 -0700, shwenanda@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote: <br>
THAI-BURMESE RELATIONS<br>
Quick resettlement of students sought<br>
</i>Post Reporters<br>
Burmese student exiles after some of them locked up UNHCR officials at
the Maneeloy holding centre in Ratchaburi on Monday.<br>
Don Pramudwinai, the Foreign Ministry spokesman, yesterday said the
students' action was &quot;not different from a mild form of
terrorism&quot;.<br>
He said the National Security Council will host a meeting of agencies
concerned tomorrow.<br>
On Monday, five officials of the United Nations High Commissioner for
Refugees-one French woman and four Thais-were locked up in their offices
for several hours after some of the Burmese students at the holding
centre were denied their 800-baht monthly allowances because they had
left the camp to join protests against Rangoon's military junta.<br>
They released the officials only after the governor of Ratchaburi, Komet
Daengkomane, paid them out of his own pocket.<br>
Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan yesterday said the government found the
Burmese students' action unacceptable, adding they would face more
restrictive measures.<br>
M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, the deputy foreign minister, said yesterday
the UNHCR would have to improve its control system at the Maneeloy
centre.<br>
M.R. Sukhumbhand said the student exiles should appreciate the privileges
granted them by the Thai government and must not take advantage of
Thailand's generosity.<br>
But he urged patience, saying the problem of Burmese student exiles in
Thailand could not be solved overnight.<br>
The only way to end the trouble fast was to drive all of them back into
Burma, &quot;but no-one wants to do that&quot;, he added.<br>
M.R. Sukhumbhand said yesterday so far 13 countries have shown interest
in accepting Burmese students taking refuge in Thailand for
resettlement.<br>
Two of them, the United States and Canada, even pledged to take up to
2,000 of the 2,700 Maneeloy students, he added.<br>
M.R Sukhumbhand said the Foreign Ministry has remained in contact with
Burma despite its decision to close its borders with Thailand following
the Oct 1-2 armed seizure of the Burmese embassy in Bangkok by five
Burmese dissidents.<br>
However, he said, talks to settle differences between the two countries
have been difficult because Burma has not said what it wants.<br>
The Foreign Ministry has invited the Burmese deputy foreign minister to
visit Bangkok but there has been no response from him so far.<br>
Niran Kalayanamit, the Maneeloy centre's deputy director, yesterday said
protests against UN officials by Burmese students over their allowances
or medication were nothing out of the ordinary.<br>
The Ratchaburi governor said an investigation panel has been set up to
find out if the locking up of UNHCR officials was a criminal
offence.<br>
Governor Komet yesterday denied he had been too lenient with the
disgruntled students by agreeing to pay them, saying he was ordered to do
everything possible to ensure the safety of the five UNHCR
officials.<br>
The Maneeloy centre would have to be expanded and its security stepped
up, he said, adding that some 1,000 Burmese students living outside the
camp might be ordered to move back in.<br>
The UNHCR yesterday said in a press release it did not consider the
locking up of the five officials to be a major incident.<br>
However, the event would be fully investigated and the UNHCR would
discuss with Thai authorities measures to prevent it from
recurring.<br>