History (r)

----------
> From: Soe Than <c04061998@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: History
> Date: October 6, 1999 7:06 AM
>
> It is true about Queen Suuphayalatt getting rid of many of her half-bros
and
> half-sis. .... they put them in bags alive and  beat the hell of of them
to death and had them drown in the nearby river.

> I certinaly hope SPDC ain't putting people in the bags alive.. or are
they?

Regrettably they are.  I draw your attention to the following news item
published in the August 7 edition of the Burma Courier.

**************
SLAUGHTER OF KAREN VILLAGERS IN TENASSERIM TOWNSHIP
KNU Mergui-Tavoy Information Dep't:  Aug 6, 1999 (edited)

MERGUI -- The Karen National Union reports the slaughter of 22 Karen
villagers by troops of the 101st Infantry Battalion of the Burmese Army.
The deaths are said to have occurred on July 27th, the day after a column
of soldiers from the battalion arrived at the villages of Kawei and Hpway
Plaw about 18 kms north of the town of Tenasserim in the Mergui district.

According to witnesses, none of the victims was shot.  Some were beaten to
death. Others were stabbed, some had their arms and legs broken, while
others had been put into empty rice sacks and been pounded to death with a
rice husker.  A nineteen year old girl was gang-raped by the troopers
before being killed.

Among the dead from Hpway Plaw village:  Saw Aung Aye, 38, his wife, their
suckling baby and a  two years old child;  Saw Pei Kwa, 38;  Saw Law Pee,
35;  Maung Win Tin, 30;  Saw Pler Hko, 60;  Saw Hta Plar, 20;  Saw Po Kya
Sei, 30;  Saw Aung Aye, 35; Saw Hpo Lwei, 30; and Saw Paw Pee, 32.  From
Kawei village: Saw Ba Kyi, 45;  Saw Ta Ler 60;   Saw Htoo Ret, 60;  Saw Hpo
Bweet, 20;  Naw Thei She, 20;  Saw Hpaw, 35;  Saw Bi, 17;   Naw Nall Naw,
19; and Naw Dah Ei, 8

The slaughter was reported by fellow villagers who fled from the scene of
the violence and arrived at the village of Tatmoo on the banks of the
Tenasserim river on August 5.  So far 40 persons, including 4 children
under the age of 5, from 9 families have arrived.  Others are reported to
be on their way, while some have still not been heard from since the
attack.

After the killings the soldiers looted the villages and destroyed the huts.
 More than 200 cattle were taken to an army base near the Ta Hpo Hta
relocation site.  Porters accompanying the column were sent to capture the
remaining cattle.

The villagers from Kawei and Hpway were forcibly relocated to Ta Hpo Hta
(Tharabwe) relocation camp in 1997.  Desitute and separated from their
plantations and livestock, many decided to return to their old villages and
in the summer of 1998 secretly shifted back.  It is believed that the
attack upon them was a form of punishment for disregarding the relocation
order.