STUDENTS OCCUPY BURMESE EMBASSY (r)

Myanmar diplomats reportedly held at Bangkok embassy
October 1, 1999
Web posted at: 1:47 PM HKT (0547 GMT)

BANGKOK, Thailand (Reuters) -- At least three armed men broke into the
Myanmar embassy in Bangkok on Friday and were holding the ambassador,
diplomats and their family members in an embassy building, a diplomat at the
embassy said.

"They are keeping the staff members in the office," the attache Hla Hla Kyi
told Reuters. "I think maybe 18 staff members. The ambassador too and the
families." Witnesses said gunshots could be heard from the embassy compound
as Thai anti-terrorist units took positions at the scene.