Armed Insurrection

Armed insurrection is often the one side of a two sided sword in the
fight for civil rights and democracy. Burma's neighbor, Nepal, now on a
friendly relationship with the Rangoon junta, is today a democracy,
since 1989, when the Nepali Congress Party, backed by the communist
wing, overtook the army and cops in the street, and King Birendra backed
down, after having killed some 50 people. The leader of the armed
insurrectionary wing of the Nepali Congress Party, and the future prime
minister of the Nepal, the second prime minister in the entire history
of the country, was none other than GP Koriala, brother of the first
prime minister, BP Koriala first elected in 1959, and imprisoned soon
after in a coup by the King's father at the time, Mahendra.

So you see, while BP Koriala was advocated national reconcilation with
the king, GP, was fighting in the field and lost comrades, while given
protection in India.

Perhaps there is a lesson here? With the NLD and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
the NCGUB advocating national reconcilation and non violence, in the
field the Karens and Shans are fighting, the Mons have been virtually
disarmed, and now, the embassy seige....

there is always two sides to a struggle, armed insurrection, and
peaceful renconcilation. Let us hope they now come to merge to remove
these generals from power.

dawn star