STATEMENT BY CRPP ON BANGKOK EMBASS

Subject: STATEMENT BY CRPP ON BANGKOK EMBASSY SEIZURE

STATEMENT BY THE COMMITTEE REPRESENTING THE PEOPLE'S PARLIAMENT

The Committee Representing the People's Parliament (CRPP) was greatly
disturbed to learn of the seizure of the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok and the
taking of hostages by armed men.  We understand from news reports that the
men, the "Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors", are demanding the release of
political prisoners in Burma and political dialogue between the CRPP and
the State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) with a view to forming an
interim government.

While the CRPP understands the aspirations and frustrations of students and
other democracy activists who have been forced to leave Burma by the
repressive measures of the military regime, we categorically condemn the
seizure of the embassy and the taking of hostages.  Such acts are contrary
to the principles which the CRPP and the National League for Democracy
(NLD) are constantly defending in the name of justice, human rights and peace.

We deeply appreciate the decision of the Thai Government to reject the use
of force and applaud the courage and diplomatic skills of the Deputy
Foreign Minister.  It is our most sincere wish that the situation be
resolved peacefully without any casualties. We extend our sympathies to the
hostages and their families and hope that they may soon be happily
reunited.  We who are struggling for democracy in Burma have all too often
been arbitrarily separated from friends and family by the harsh measures of
the military regime and sympathize greatly with the plight of those whose
personal lives are wounded by tyranny and violence.

We would like to draw the attention of the world to the fact that this act
of violence at the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok is an effect of the many acts
of injustice and cruelty repeatedly perpetrated by the military regime in
Burma. Violence breeds violence.

The CRPP and the NLD are confident that democracy will come to Burma
through the perseverance and non-violent endeavours of all who love
justice, human rights and peace.

[This is the full text of the CRPP statement which was obtained by
Altsean-Burma, tel 275 1811]

A L T S E A N - B U R M A
Alternative Asean Network on Burma
Tel: 66 2 275 1811 * Fax: 66 2 693 4515