Fw: BURMA ISSUE

--------- Forwarded message ----------
To: burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: govspkmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:43:03 -0700
Subject: BURMA ISSUE

Kofi Annan
Secretary General
United Nations Head Quarters
New York, NY.10017

Dear Secretary General,
                                            I am much encouraged by your
recognition of delayed international intervention or inaction of UN
Security Coucil has caused unnacessary  loss of lives in Ra Wan Da and
East Timor. At the same time I very much appreciate the historical remark
you made that  countries which resisted international intervention will
no longer be able to hide behind protestation of national sovereignty
when they flagrantlly violate the rights of its citizens. This remark
will continue to ring in my ears for some times.
As a native of Burma who also share mental anguish with my fellow
countrymen, my heart is laiden with heavy burden of greives when even I
read the report of Human Right groups about the sufferings and agonies of
my fellow countrymen.
Dear Secretary General,
                                            As you are well aware of the
extensive human rights abuse under the Burma Military Regime, I do not
need to repeat that much. Never the less when I try to put myself in to
their (the villagers) shoes, I find it very hard to beleive a group of
people can do terrible thing to another group of human being. In spite of
condemnation by the international community for human rights abuse, the
Burma Army rounded up villagers in Pa-an township in Karen State to use
them as porters as well as mine sweepers to detonate the land mines in
front of the Army patrol column. There were many precedents that
villagers died and maimed in this manner by the explosion of land mines.
Dear General Secretary, We human beings are always thinking. This quality
of thoughts make us destinctive and differ from the animals. I can not
imagine and  fathom how deep the mental anguish and physical pains the
villagers will have to go through during their captivity. Anticipation of
death and maimed by the land mine explosion will haunt them through out
their captivity. And that anticipation of death and maimed is worst than
the realty of death. Their captivity can last from weeks to months to
year or to death and maimed.
Dear Secretary General,
                                              Instead of complying with
the recommendation of the ILO and UN, the Burma Military Regime is
intensifying its human rights abuse. By the end of last year Burma
Intelligent chief General Khin Nyunt formed terrorist groups named Dan
Byan Pyauk Kya. Each group consist of hard core NCOs extracted from
different Army batallion and under direct control of General Khin Nyunt.
These groups terrorized villagers in Shwe Kyin and Kyauk Kyi townships
east of Sittang River. They killed villagers indiscreminately and even
beheaded the villagers and forced the remaining villagers to watch the
beheaded head. At the same time the watch man is warned that he would
have to replace with his head if the beheaded head is missing. Villagers
who can, have no choice but to flee their home land. Unfortunately, some
times they encountered the Royal Thai Army who forced them back across
the border into Burma. I am just wondering if General Khin Nyunt and Army
chief General Maung Aye do not deserve to be put before the Inernational
World Court Tribunal, then who will? General Than Shwe is also equally
responsible for failing to
redress this humantarian catrastrophe when he is able to prevent and stop
it.
Dear Secretary General,
                                            I beleive the International
community is pampering the Burma Military Regime and ignoring the
sufferings of the people of Burma for so long. You have sent your
representative to persuade the Regime to talk to the opposition party
with the incentive of showering them with humanitarian aids, but you have
been mocked by the Regime that they are not monkey to dance for bananas.
I also beleive that it is time to send stern message that unless
the Regime accept the suggestion for dailogue and smooth out transition
of power to its legitimate owner, international intervention is
inevitable.
Dear Secretary General,
                                            As far as the mentality of
the Burma Military Regime is concern they are not different from
Yugoslavia President Milosevic and the Indonesian Military. They will not
give in easily  but they will try to create chaotic situation if they
have to give in. They regard Solidarity party, Fire fighters and even
Burma Red Cross as their military reservists. With regards to Minority
States, they are very similar to Kosovo of Yugslavia. President Milosevic
could have saved it within its sovereignty, but he has been so
intransigent and so racist. Burma Military should learn some lessons.
Though  political climate and strategic location differs from that of
Yugoslavia, if the world body is to maintain peace and stability in the
region they have no choice but to intervene.
Dear Secretary General,
                                            Considering mass human right
abuses of torture, rapes, executions, mass arrest, deaths in captivity,
forced labors etc,etc, the sufferings of the people of Burma are not less
than the sufferings of the people of Kosovo or the sufferings of the
people of Timor. I therefore beleive it is time to bring up Burma issue
to the UN Security Council and make strategic plan to help the people of
Burma. Delayed intervention or inaction of UN security Council will only
cause unnacessary further loss of lives for the poeople of Burma.

Respectfully.

                       (Saw Aung Khin)
copy to:
1/  Hon.Madeleine K. Albright, US Secretary of State, Washington DC.
20520
2/  Mary Robinson, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, c/ UN Center
for Human rights, Paliasdes Nations, CH 1211 Geneva 10, Switzerland.
3/  H.E. Theo Ben Gurirab, FAX: +1-212-685-1561
4/  Mr. Alvaro De Soto, Asst. Secretary of UN. FAX: +i-212-963-1395
5/  H.E. Richard Holsbrook, U S Amb. to UN. FAX+1-212-415-4443
6/  Mis. Daniela Napoli, Chief  EC. Human Right Unit, FAX: +32-2-295-7850

7/  Hon. Rajsoomer Lallah, Human Rights Special Rapporteur, FAX:
+42-22-917-0092
8/ Burma Desk, US State Department, FAX: +1-202-647-9519/3069
9/  The British Prime Minister Hon. Tony Blair, 10 Downing Street,
London. England.
10/  Hon. Alexander Downer, Minister of Foreign Affair. Parliament
House.Canbarra ACT 2601,
      Australia.
11/  Thailand Prime Minister Chuan Leek Pai, govspkmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx