SSA - Statement on 1 October 1999 I (r)

Subject: SSA - Statement on 1 October 1999 Incident

SSA - Statement on 1 October 1999 Incident

Shan States Army General Headquarters

Statement on 1 October 1999 Incident

1. The Shan States Army firmly opposes the practice of terrorization,
especially through violent means.

2. Our position with regards to the hijacking of the Burmese embassy on
1
October is as stated below:

a. It was a decisive retaliation on behalf of the people of the whole
country against the unjust regime;

b. It was an effective response in kind by a group of youth and students
the regime that was in fear of resolving political issues by political
means.

3. We extend our heartfelt appreciation of the Royal Thai government for
their peaceful resolution of the affair.

4. We shall protest any act of reprisal by the SPDC regime to intimidate
the opposition.

5. We therefore appeal to the United Nations, and to governments of the
world to use all their influences in order to forestall any repressive
measures by the military clique against the opposition and the ethnic
nationalities.

Central Executive Committee

Shan States Army
3 October 1999.