Myanmar will be a 'democracy' (r)

--------------5DD712D314AACC035599DCEC

I do not think Htun's remark should be taken as being racist. And it certainly was
not aimed at all people with non-Burmese names. It was a remark made in frustration
against a "good person" who for whatever reason, continues to work within a "bad
system". The question is, how good can a person be, if he continues to embrace a
rotten system. It is not for self preservation as there are fifty million people
who do not work for or support the junta. Their lives are difficult to say the
least, but they are still alive. To date we have not seen or heard of any general
officer or other high ranking official resign on principle. As long as these people
are willing to go along to get along, there will be no change in Burma.

The support of people like Bob Helvey, etc., etc., is important to our cause. Only
hope we could have more Burmese (of all ethnic backgroumds) to join in the effort.

Yours sincerely,

Richard A. Myint.

Robert L. Helvey wrote:

> Htun Aung Gyaw,
>
> Your attack against David Abel's name caused me to read your message
> several times. It did appear to be an rather insensitive comment, considering
> that many Burmese citizens have non-burman names. Attacking Trevor
> Edmond (whom I have never heard of before) for bringing it up didn't help
> either. If you wish to attack me, have at it, but you will have to get in line.
>
> Copies to:              burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Date sent:              Sat, 09 Oct 1999 16:28:32 -0400
> From:                   Htun Aung Gyaw <hag2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject:                Re: Myanmar will be a 'democracy'
> To:                     Trevor Edmond <treved@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > Poor thing,
> >
> >  you don't know what I mean and my intention.  I respect multiculture and
> > every races.  Try to read the whole message and think deeply.  Don't jump
> > into conclusion that I am a racist.
> >
> > I have color friends, white friends, I never look at them as white or black
> > or yellow.  I like them because they are kind hearted humans.
> >
> > Learn more
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Htun Aung Gyaw
> >

> > At 05:34 PM 10/9/99 +1000, Trevor Edmond wrote:
> > >I hope I am mistaken in reading some element of racism in Htun Aung Graw's
> > >message. It can be a two edged sword that would suit SPDC to the hilt. The
> > >movement to free Burma is made up of many different races with different
> > >forms of names. I value the alliance of freedom loving spirits and their
> > >generosity.

> Robert L. Helvey
> Fax: (304)744-9093
> Email: rhelvey@xxxxxxxxxxx

--------------5DD712D314AACC035599DCEC

begin:          vcard
fn:             Richard Myint
n:              Myint;Richard
org:            Myint Family
adr;dom:        31349 Santa Cruz Way;;;Union City;CA;94587;
email;internet: ramyint@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:       510-429-8442
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE