AFP : Thailand denies paying hostag (r)

Subject: Re: AFP : Thailand denies paying hostage takers

I believed the brave young Burmese heroes are very lucky because they
seized the Embassy under the civilian Chuan's government which respect
human rights.&nbsp; If Chavalit Younchaiyuth was the prime minister at
that time, he would definitely ordered the Thai troops to storm the
Embassy building and killed our country's precious sons.&nbsp; Now
Chavalit's New Aspiration Party created a rumors that the Thai government
paid one million to the Student activists because NSP want to attack the
Thai government and at the same time trying to please the Burmese
regime.&nbsp; Chavalit became a multi millionaire after he got fishing
and logging concession rights from the Burmese military leaders.&nbsp;
New Aspiration Party has no honesty and dignity at all.&nbsp; Chavalit is
a thief.&nbsp; He stole money from his own government and a corrupted
military leader.&nbsp; Our precious forest were stripped away and now
many places were flooded in central and delta region.&nbsp; Chavalit
hands are soaked with Burmese blood.&nbsp; We will never forget about his
action which brought back the Burmese activists from Thailand to Burma by
force.&nbsp; All the actions and motives made by NSP has some secret
dealing with the Burmese regime.&nbsp; Some day Chavalit must face the
consequences what he had done to our friends and our motherland.<br>
Htun Aung Gyaw<br>
At 11:25 AM 10/05/1999 +0200, you wrote:<br>
&gt;Thailand denies paying hostage takers and announces student
crackdown<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; BANGKOK, Oct 5 (AFP) - Thailand Tuesday strongly
denied allegations it <br>
&gt;paid one million dollars to five gunmen in order to end the Myanmar
hostage <br>
&gt;crisis and announced a crackdown on exiled students.<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;We did not give the gunmen any money,&quot;
Interior Minister Sanan <br>
&gt;Kachornprasart&nbsp; told reporters.<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;We gave them only a bag and a telephone,
there was no money, arms, or <br>
&gt;anything else inside the bag..it was just clothes for one of
them,&quot; he said.<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Local press reports said the opposition New
Aspiration Party accused <br>
&gt;the government of paying one million dollars to the radical student
gunmen <br>
&gt;in order to end the hostage crisis quickly. The armed students,
calling <br>
&gt;themselves the &quot;Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors&quot; seized
the Yangon <br>
&gt;embassy here Friday, holding 38 people captive for 25
hours.&nbsp;&nbsp; Sanan said <br>
&gt;he had received reports two of the five gunmen had been living at a
Thai <br>
&gt;holding center for exiled Myanmar dissidents.&nbsp; He said
authorities would <br>
&gt;strictly enforce regulations confining the estimated 2000 exiled
students <br>
&gt;in Thailand to the Maneeloy holding centre near the Thai-Myanmar
border.<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;Foreign visitors will be confined to
designated areas and students <br>
&gt;will not be allowed to roam free anymore,&quot; he said.<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; He said if students left the center they would be
repatriated to <br>
&gt;Myanmar.&nbsp;&nbsp; Sanan said police were attempting to confirm the
origins of the <br>
&gt;five gunmen.&nbsp;&nbsp; The men disappeared into jungle near the
Thai-Burma border <br>
&gt;after a dramatic escape from Bangkok in a helicopter supplied by Thai
&gt;authorities in exchange for the release of hostages. Thailand's=20
&gt;intelligence network has been criticised for failing to forsee the
hostage <br>
&gt;crisis and Sanan said its operations would be reviewed.<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;We have to improve our intelligence system
in every way because in the <br>
&gt;past we have only had to deal with problems theoretically and we had
no <br>
&gt;actual experience,&quot; he said.<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Despite criticism from Myanmar of Thailand's
decision to give the <br>
&gt;gunmen safe passage to the border, Sanan said it was the best
solution to <br>
&gt;the crisis.<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;Nobody died, not a single drop of blood was
spilled, if it happened in <br>
&gt;other countries it could have been devestating,&quot; he said.<br>