NEWS -Time for Asean to Re-evaluate

Subject: NEWS -Time for Asean to Re-evaluate Policy on Burma, says Shan Leader

No: 10 - 5

Time for Asean to Re-evaluate Policy on Burma, says Shan Leader

Following the dramatic daredevil seizure of the Burmese embassy in
Bangkok
last weekend, a prominent Shan leader has counselled re-evaluation of
Asean's long standing policy of constructive engagement, according to
S.H.A.N. reporter in Chiangmai.

Sao Sengsuk a.k.a Khun Kya-nu, former President of the Shan State
Progress
Party and retired commander-in-chief of the Shan State Army, said on
Sunday
that the raid on the Burmese embassy was the direct result of the policy
of
appeasement towards the military regime in Burma, regarded as one of the
worst human rights violations in the world.

"I fear that this is only the beginning of what is going to happen to
the
Asean countries unless and until they revise their policy towards Burma,
particularly to the narco-dictatorship in Rangoon", he said. He added
that
what he said should not be regarded as a threat, for he did not have an
armed group to back him up, even if he wished to, which he did not.

"What I said was just a simple logical and natural deduction".

He thought that Asean would need to strengthen up relations with major
humanitarian NGOs and work together with them in order to bring peace
and
harmony in Burma. "They know what's happening there and what needs to be
done", said he.

He also praised M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, Deputy Minister of Foreign
Affairs, for allowing himself to be taken as hostage by the raiders. "I
don't think it would have come to such a happy and speedy conclusion if
it
were somebody else", he said.

Sao Sengsuk, an exile in Chiangmai, is currently one of the principal
advisors of the Shan Democratic Union, the organization of the Shan
exiles.

For further information, please contact Sao Sengsuk, at Tel: 66-53-235
020.

///END\\\
For background information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:
Shan Herald Agency for News.
P.O. Box. 15, Nonghoi P.O., 50007, Chiangmai, Thailand
Ph/Fax: (053) 807 121
e-mail: <shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

S.H.A.N. is a non-profit making, independent Shan media group. It is not
affiliated to any political or armed organization.