NEWS - Organizing for Seattle

 Title: Organizing for Seattle
 Date: 28-SEP-1999
 Author: Unknown
 Source: "Global @ction" <globalaction@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Style: Activist Report

 HELLO FROM SEATTLE!

 i just wanted to let everybody know who wasn't at the WTO Ruckus camp in
 Seattle this week, that we had an amazing summit with detailed planning
 and LOTS of commitment- more intense coordination and cross-pollination
 than i've seen in this country EVER (in my 5 years of direct action
 organizing).  we are so excited to take a place in this increasingly
 global web of direct action networks, and to do our part from the belly
 of the beast!

 N30 GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION MOBILIZATION a N30 International mobilization
 collective was formed and we are putting the finishing touches on the
 Global proposal, which will appear on the web within days, as well as on
 all the pertinent lists and will be available from the following
 address, which should also be used to communicate your N30 plans to the
 collective, for media coordination and to post on the web site:

 n30contacts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 the web site we are going to use for the proposal and for reports of
 international plans as time draws nearer (and reports of the day of
 action after the fact) is: http://go.to/n30

 subscribe to the Int'l discussion list on N30 at:
 http://n30.listbot.com

 there is an anarchist mobilization happening in Seattle alongside the
 mass movement/CD planning and the Art and Revolution Direct action
 convergence (as well as LOADS of NGO/non-profit educational forums on
 every related topic). all this info will be linked through the Seattle
 WTO clearinghouse:
 www.seattle99.org
 (formerly known as seattlewto.org), and the direct action plans for
 seattle will be posted at:
 www.agitprop.org/artandrevolution
 www.globalizethis.org
 www.go.to/n30

 DIRECT ACTION CONVERGENCE
 The Direct Action Convergence is being organized through the Direct
 Action Network, and is co-sponsored by Global Exchange, Earth First!,
 IWW, Ruckus Society, Art and Revolution, and Rainforest Action Network.
 They are working to coordinate a mass nonviolent direct action in the
 streets on Nov 30, which
 will be organized using an affinity group/spokescouncil structure.
 Other technical direct actions will come out of affinity groups
 trainings and strategizing in Seattle during the convergence and leading
 up to it.  there is a fairly organized logistical support framework
 happening and they need more experienced (or enthused to learn)
 communications/microradio people to show up two weeks early for
 training.

 ANARCHISTS IN SEATTLE WTO
 Anarchists are encouraging "other" types of direct actions organized
 strategically and autonomously, and are hoping people realize the
 immense level of security and police mobilization (including tanks and
 national guard) that is occurring right now, esp. around the vicinity of
 the Ministerial.  Additionally, recent anarchist mobilizations in the
 region have been hyped by the media to the point that the most
 predictable things that
 could happen (and that they are preparing for) are black-blocks, masks,
 and riotous behavior within the larger marches.  many local anarchists
 agree this is a good reason to reconsider small-group attempts to kick
 off
 riots.  instead, locals are researching and scouting strategic action
 targets that illustrate anarchist action at its best, and will be
 circulating them through appropriate channels.

 if you wanna get the anarchist mobilization mailing, including a form to
 hook up with anarchist housing, write Seattle Anarchist Response:
 saresponse@xxxxxxxxxxx

 POST WTO
 we talked enthusiastically about using N30 and the ministerial in
 general to carry this int'l network through to the next global day of
 action (MAYDAY 2000) and to continue coordination of all of our direct
 action
 networks, and our solidarity work with other networks and movements.
 Ideas like int'l coordinated actions on specific targets, industries,
 and issues, as well as instant transnational mobilizations in support of
 uprisings,
 victories, and calls to action, planted tantalizing visions in the minds
 of many.

 Amazing visitors from england, nicaraugua and locked-out striking
 steelworkers, not to mention direct action activists working in every
 movement, plus anarchists and anti-capitalists, rounded out a picture of
 why we are confronting WTO.

 lots of corporate media visits that resulted in front page stories in
 the New York Times, USA Today, Seattle Times, and various TV broadcasts,
 should help the "Seattle WTO is THE PLACE to be in late novemember"
 factor.  hopefully we won't swallow our own hype and choke on the
 spectacle!  i'll forward some of the stories so you europeans can take a
 good piss out of our media-whoredom!!  don't forget, we are fighting a
 propaganda war over here.  the new Monsanto brave new world exhibit/ride
 at Disney's EPCOT center (Disney owns one of the three major media
 conglomerates) opens next week in florida, by the way.

 non-north americans: dont be shy about coming over for WTO, but of
 course, raise a ruckus elsewhere too!  we are going to do extensive
 int'l media work on N30 so we need to get a clear picture of whats going
 on where.  please get in touch: n30contacts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 there are excellent "RESIST WTO" postcards and flyers, and a newsprint
 primer on the Direct Action convergence that can be ordered in bulk from
 the Direct Action Network:
 can@xxxxxxxxxxx or (206) 632-1656

 to hook into the general planning and coordination for Seattle NO2WTO,
 subscribe to the NO2WTO list:
 http://no2wto.listbot.com

 feel free to circulate this to whomever you think may be interested.

 MAY OUR RESISTANCE BE AS TRANSNATIONAL AS CAPITAL!!!
 SMASH WTO! END CORPORATE RULE!
 ---
 GLOBAL ACTION
 pob 11703