Junta leaders send official thank y

Subject: Junta leaders send official thank you /collusion Thai captives  see no

minister and the first secretary of the Burmese government, have written
to thank Thailand officially for its handling of the embassy
seizure.<br>
Gen Than Shwe, also chief of the ruling State Peace and Development
Council, sent his letter to Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai, and Lt-Gen Khin
Nyunt sent one to Deputy Prime Minister Bhichai Rattakul.<br>
The Burmese junta leader thanked Mr Chuan and praised all involved in the
incident, especially the courage of Deputy Foreign Minister Sukhumbhand
Paribatra.<br>
Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt, first secretary of the council, thanked Thailand for
resolving the drama without loss of life.<br>
-------------------------------------------------------- <br>
of the Burmese embassy have rejected the &quot;conspiracy theory&quot;
that the dissidents had colluded with foreigners in taking control of the
embassy.<br>
Prasert Luang-aramvej, who emerged a hero from last weekend's hostage
drama, insisted yesterday there had been no conspiracy at the scene and
said none of the hostages, Thai or foreign, had been involved.<br>
A story in the state-run media in Burma alleged that the embassy siege
was a conspiracy involving Thais, and that it was a pre-planned scenario
intended to embarrass the Burmese government.<br>
There was also an accusation by a New Aspiration MP that the government
had paid the gunmen US$1 million to abort the siege. Mr Prasert denied
all the allegations. The claims could have been sparked by the hostages'
supportive attitudes towards their captors after they were released, he
said.<br>
Most of the hostages appeared sympathetic towards the students because
the dissidents treated them well and did not hurt anybody.<br>
&quot;Those who were not in that situation will never understand our
feelings,&quot; Mr Prasert said.<br>
&quot;Even at the most tense moment, when we didn't know if we were going
to die or survive, the students dd not hurt us.<br>
&quot;It's like we owed them, and wanted to help them in return.&quot;It
was not a scene out of a play, he said. Every hostage was in fear during
the siege.<br>
&quot;I myself was under stress and very tired. Talking with Johnny [the
students' leader] was a hard job because he is a hot-tempered man,&quot;
he said.<br>
He was adamant that during the siege he heard no mention at all of the
gunmen being paid $1million by the Thai government. The allegation was
groundless.<br>
He believed the siege ended quietly and peacefully simply because the
students did not intend to harm anybody. They had acted to draw the
attention of the world community to their problem.<br>
Mr Prasert's opinion was supported by another hostage, Tawatchai Lamkham,
who said he saw no signs of any connection between the captors and any
Thai or foreign hostages. &quot;Everybody was serious at that moment
because we didn't know our destiny.<br>
&quot;Even the foreigners looked scared but felt relieved knowing they
would not be forsaken by the Thai government,&quot; Mr Tawatchai said,
adding the hostages were a bit sympathetic towards the
dissidents.</font>
<BR>