Suu Kyi on Embassy Seizure, US Loan

Subject: Suu Kyi on Embassy Seizure, US Loans, Jail Sentence for  Wearing Yellow

"TO USE GUNS TO OPPRESS YOUR FELLOW MEN IS SOMETHING WE CANNOT ACCEPT"

Transcript: Part Two of Aung San Suu Kyi interview, October 5, 1999

Q:  The NLD has disassociated itself from the group responsible for the
siege in the embassy in Bangkok. What is your message to activists who may
be considering similar actions in the near future or in the future?

A: As we said in the official statement of the Committee Representing the
People's Parliament we understand why these young students felt that they
had to do something like this. It's because of some sense of frustration,
it's because they have been subjected to great injustice, it's because they
want democracy to come to Burma quickly.

But what we want to say to them, is that what we are fighting is the use of
arms to bring about political change. So we cannot support such acts where
people with arms force people without arms into a particular situation We
have to face this kind of situation from day to day in Burma.

Our people are arrested, our people are harassed, they are oppressed, they
are bullied, they are tortured. Why, why are they putting up with it-
because the people who are doing it have guns in their hands. And they are
fighting with their guns, and it is because of the guns that they are
forced to submit to acts of injustice . So we don't want the system whereby
the gun rules man. Whereas it's man who should rule the gun. After all the
gun was invented by men. It's men who make guns so man should have power
over guns. And to use guns to oppress your fellow men is something we
cannot accept.

" WE WANT TO SHOW THAT THE HUMAN SPIRIT CAN PREVAIL OVER THE MIGHT OF ARMS
? THROUGH THE STRENGTH OF OUR CONVICTIONS AND THROUGH OUR PERSEVERANCE"

This is why we are against acts of violence. This is why we have decided
that we want to choose the non-violent way. Because we want to show that
the human spirit can prevail over the might of arms and that we can bring
about the change that we want through the strength of our convictions and
through our perseverance. And we are convinced that we will able to do it.

We are absolutely confident that democracy will come to Burma. and it will
come through non-violent means. And we are confident that we will be able
to persuade those who are now using violence to oppress Burma, to see our
point of view and to understand that they would be much happier, as well
as, of course, the rest of the country if it were justice that ruled rather
than weapons.

Q:  Do you think that resentment is growing against the military regime?
Are you concerned that the resentment may explode into violence. If so, why?

A: I think resentment is growing for a number of reasons. Of course the one
that everybody feels is the economic reason. Prices have been rising, the
people's living standards have been coming down. And then social reasons -
the universities have been closed for about 3 years now, young people are
not getting a proper education, and then of course, a combination of
economic and social factors. They see that the elite live a very different
life from the ordinary people.

The common people have difficulty making ends meet. Their children cannot
complete their education. Whereas (among) the elite who are close to the
regime or who in fact belong to the regime, their children can go to study
abroad, their families are very well-off. They have become very wealthy,
they are the ones who are raking in the economic benefits of whatever
openings there have been in the past decade. So there are these social
factors.

And then of course there are the political factors. There is no freedom,
people cannot say what they want; people cannot do what they want, people
cannot wear what they want. I think we'll be coming to that later. There is
no free press, there is no freedom of information. I don't know whether
you've had the chance to look at the newspapers here. But the newspapers
are generally full of abuse of the National League for Democracy.

And you know, it's a nice trait of human beings that they get fed up of the
abuse after sometime. If somebody keeps on abusing somebody else,
especially from a position of power, people don't like it. This is the good
thing about human beings. And of course other things about human beings
perhaps are not so wonderful. But they have this instinct against bullying
and against injustice.

" WE DON'T WANT CHANGE TO COME ABOUT THROUGH VIOLENCE"

So I think we can say that resentment is growing all the time. And will it
explode into violence? That's a possibility.  And of course we are
concerned about this, we don't want change to come about through violence.
We don't want that to become a precedent, that if you want to bring about
change you have to resolve to violent tactics. That will be a very, very
bad precedent. And we hope that the authorities will see that for the good
of our country we should establish a precedent whereby change is brought
about through peaceful dialogue and exchange of views.

Q:  Would the junta view the NLD as a safer alternative to groups prepared
to use violence to overthrow them as opposed to violent groups? Would the
junta view the NLD as a safer option?

"THEY LOOK ON THE NLD AS THE MOST DANGEROUS THING IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD"

A: I don't know how they look at these things. From reading the newspapers
you get the idea they look on the NLD as the most dangerous thing in the
whole wide world! We are not at all violent. And they may well think that
we are lot more dangerous than violent groups. But this of course all based
on misperception of what we stand for and I think it's based on fear. I
think this military regime is frightened of losing power.

They are frightened of the emergence of a democratic government because
they don't understand what a democratic government really is. They don't
understand that we're not out for revenge, we're not out to crush them or
the army. We only want to establish a system whereby there can be a balance
between justice and security and freedom for all our people

Q: Would you feel that the military regime could work hand in hand with the
NLD if ever it come into power