VOA inflitration?

(Burmese Section) broadcasting on October 6, 1999<br>
</b></u>Yesterday, VOA Burmese section broadcasted about the seize of
Burmese embassy, VOA said &quot;the terrorists selected the kids and
women from the embassy and pointed their heads with gun and repeatedly
threatened to kill them&nbsp; &quot;.<br>
We never heard a single news about these young warriors threaten women
and children in the embassy compound, in any Thai news, in any newspapers
and without any doubt, we believe that such thing never happened at any
given time during the crisis. All Democracy activists should demand the
VOA to clarify who is responsible for this and why does it broadcast the
fabricated news, which is meant to degrade the student activists who risk
their lives for the cause of their country.<br>
One can assume that such kind of false news serves the very best interest
of Burmese military regime and there is a reason to believe that news was
created by the military regime to brain wash the people's mind because
many young people have been very excited about the heroic action made by
student warriors.<br>
We are gravely concerned about the false news, which created a bad image
for the true nationalist as blood thirsty and unkind people. As a matter
of fact, the real monsters are the ruling generals and their thugs who
killed thousands of students and people since 1962.<br>
All the peace loving people should know about one thing. Foreign
broadcasting stations are the ones the regime fears most because all the
genuine news can easily reach to the whole 44 million people by air. This
is also the reason that armed forces personnel are now allowed to listen
to foreign stations They can block Daw Aung San Suu Kyi&quot;s house,
they have been able to terminate the publication of independence
newspapers, they can absolutely control the BBS and Myanmar television
station naturally because they own the broadcasting media; they can seal
the border crossing.<br>
&nbsp;However they cannot block the news which flies from the air.&nbsp;
We can try to distribute our newsletters, postcards and flyers but even
though we do to distribute such anti regime letters, it is very hard to
reach to many people.&nbsp; If we distributed 30,000 letters and if 50%
received our letters ,only 15,000<br>
people can know about it.&nbsp; But the radio stations are very
influential and the best weapon to beat the regime practically.&nbsp;
They are very careful about the radio station abroad and they planned to
infiltrate inside the foreign broadcasting stations especially, BBC, VOA
and RFA.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
My own experience in Burma reveals some truth.&nbsp; When I was a first
year student in Rangoon Arts and Science University in 1969, I met a guy
in my friend's house.&nbsp; He was an English teacher and has very thick
and strong voice.&nbsp; He was from Insein and a Karen.&nbsp; They were
celebrating a party at that time because he got a job from BBC.&nbsp; But
later his appointment was revoked and someone was appointed instead of
him. Later we heard that his appointment was cancelled because the BSPP
informed to BBC that he was a communist.&nbsp; But he was not.&nbsp; Why
he was named as communist?. Because they need their man inside the
foreign broadcasting station.&nbsp; They planted their moles by using
many ways, now BBC cannot broadcast about democratic activities very well
and so did the VOA and RFA. Foreign broadcasting stations play a crucial
role in Burmese politics.&nbsp; BSPP/SLORC/SPDC cannot stop foreign
broadcasting so they tried to infiltrate inside foreign broadcasting
stations and manipulate the news<br>
which will threaten their status quo.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Another example that the regime is very sensitive about the radio
broadcasting is ,once&nbsp; KNU started their broadcasting from Manaplaw,
the regime bombed the station within days.&nbsp; It shown that they are
afraid of radio stations which easily reach to the whole
population.&nbsp; Think about it if we were them how could we counter it?
The best way to counter the broadcasting is to send your people inside
the inner circle.&nbsp; This is the best way.<br>
If someone said it is not sure, let me say one thing: it really
happens<br>
today.<br>
truth will prevail <br>
Htun Aung Gyaw<br>