UNOCAL /10-12-99 Beach in Banglades

Subject: Re: UNOCAL /10-12-99 Beach in Bangladesh

>"identified more than 5 trillion cubic feet (TCF) of natural gas."

> BOI chief Mokammel Haq said that foreign direct investment (FDI) in
> Bangladesh was rising sharply. "FDI in the country was 25 million dollars in
> 1995 and 3 billion dollars in '98," he said, adding that this year the
> country was expecting $2 billion foreign investment. Most of the FDIs go to
> the energy sector, Mokammel said.

$$$$$

Yetagun reserves are estimated at 1,1 trillion cubic meters of natural
gas
to be pumped in thirty years (contract)
Yadana is estimated at 5 trillion cubic feet or 14O billion cubic meters
(3O year contract)to pump 65 million cubic feet a day;
Another estimate for Yadana cites it at 6.7 trillion cubic feet (1995)

Remember, Bangladesh is one of the poorest countries in the world with
long history of dictatorship and corruption. I was in India when their
president was assassinated...
Perhaps some of our readers can tell how much that has changed recently.

$$$$$

You may also be interested to know that late last year, with crude
prices crashing, down to 10$ a barrel and under -before the march OPEC
meeting in Vienna - oil and gas companies were seriously considering
pulling out of many gas projects, costs too high, revenues too low,
problems of loans, debt financing, overhead expenditures, cost of
exploration-production, In the arab countries alone, with sopme
66billion dollars invested for the 1998-2003 period, some 25 billion
dollars were for new development projects. With the asia crisis in 97,
with the world consuming over 2 million barrels a day, asia cut back the
bulk of one million barrels dropping world consumption to some 74,5
million barrels. The cost of oil greatly affects the gas industry,
linking their price, so that a lot pipeline projects were threatened or
put on hold.

Since the price of oil after Mars has shot up, and oil companies met the
crush with consolidation (BP-Amoco, Totalfina-Elf...) that has all
changed.ds

$$$$

from interested source: