The Nation (14-10-99)Junta seeks ar

Subject: The Nation (14-10-99)Junta seeks arrest of hostage-takers

hostage-takers<br>
arrest the five armed Burmese dissidents who were set free at the border
after storming the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok earlier this month. <br>
U Hla Maung, the Burmese ambassador to Thailand, indicated that this
would be a condition for resolving current problems over border crossings
and fishing rights. <br>
''We want Thailand to arrest the five who stormed the Burmese Embassy and
to put them on trial here,'' the ambassador said through an interpreter.
''There is no need to send them to Burma. The sooner the five are
arrested, the sooner the border and fishing problems will be resolved.
''What we are concerned about most at the moment is the five armed
Burmese who took over the embassy. Their intention was to get me. They
not only stormed the embassy, but also committed robbery.'' <br>
The ambassador was speaking after an hour-long meeting with Foreign
Minister Surin Pitsuwan. <br>
Bilateral relations between Burma and Thailand have soured following the
siege of the embassy on Oct 1. Burma has sealed all border checkpoints
and cancelled fishing licences for Thai vessels. <br>
Surin reiterated Thailand's seriousness in tackling Burmese concerns by
pointing out that 10 charges had been filed against the five assailants
who are believed to have returned to an area of Burma facing Ratchaburi
province after being released at the border. <br>
U Hla Maung also urged Burmese students living in Thailand and other
displaced citizens to return in order to join in the country's
development. <br>
He guaranteed that the students would not face any legal charges or
prosecution if they returned. <br>
Foreign Ministry's spokesman Don Pramudwinai said that Surin had also
invited Burmese Deputy Foreign Minister Khin Maung Win for a visit to
clear up any problems arising from the embassy incident. <br>
Don emphasised that filing charges against the five was a clear sign of
Thailand's intention of bringing them to justice. <br>
''The charges show that we will not let the wrongdoers go unpunished,''
he said. ''At present, it is up to the police and other authorities
concerned to look for the five Burmese.'' <br>
Don played down the closing of border checkpoints, saying this was
Burma's way of expressing dissatisfaction. <br>
''They usually seal the border with Thailand [when bilateral problems
arise],'' he said. <br>
Commenting on a call by opposition parties for the government to be more
aggressive over problems with Burma, Don said the closing of checkpoints
and cancellation of fishing licences did not constitute a threat to Thai
security. <br>
Samak Suntharavej, leader of Prachakorn Thai Party, said Thailand should
stand firm, adding: ''We're not going to die if we don't befriend
Burma.'' <br>
During his meeting with Surin, U Hla Maung dismissed a news report that
Burmese border troops had been reinforced in order to attack Karen
refugees when the dry season set in. <br>
Don quoted the ambassador as saying the troop movements were just normal
rotation of soldiers in the border region. <br>
In a separate interview, Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Oum Maolanond
said that Deputy Foreign Minister Sukhumbhand Paribatra had sent a letter
to his Burmese counterpart, Khin Maung Win, stating Thailand's position
that it would not forgive any acts of terrorism against foreign
representatives on its soil. <br>
Sukhumbhand said Thailand had contingency plans for tackling terrorist
incidents. <br>
Gen Bo Mya, leader of the Karen National Union, the biggest group of
armed dissidents operating on the Thai-Burmese border, yesterday pledged
to help Thailand arrest the five assailants if they were found on his
territory. <br>
Distancing his group from the five, Bo Mya said the assailants had been
released a long way from the areas where the Karen National Union
operated. <br>
He said Rangoon's accusation that the Karen National Union was involved
with the five was part of a smear campaign aimed at destroying his group.
Former Thai army chief Gen Chetta Tanajaro, who has close links with
Rangoon and advises the government on Burmese affairs, expected an
invitation to visit Rangoon within a few days to discuss bilateral
problems. <br>
Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Korn Dabarasi said
Burmese leaders had reaffirmed that they wanted to maintain cooperation
with Thailand. The ties would not be affected by the current tension on
the border, he added. <br>
Korn was speaking after returning from Rangoon where he attended a
regional conference on public health. He also met Lt Gen Khint Yunt,
first secretary of the ruling State Peace and Development Commission.
''Khint Yunt reiterated to me twice that both countries must be patient
as they were still cooperating in many areas, not only public health,''
he said. <br>
The Nation</font>
<BR>