Myanmar general claims AIDS is bein

Subject: Re: Myanmar general claims AIDS is being used in propoganda war

Who are we kidding?

Burma did not have AIDS problem but they do NOW -  transmitted through
needles and of course, sex.

Cases have been reported in Lashio, Mandalay and Rangoon.

And to correct the sentence - I think it is mostly friends, family members
and some business men who frequent these "houses" and "discos".  Not
majority of them are from the military.

----Original Message Follows----
To: OKKAR66129@xxxxxxx, burmanet-l@xxxxxxx, MAYKHA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:40:33 +0700

At 07:55 PM 10/13/99 -0400, Okkar wrote:

 >Khin Nyunt said Myanmar did not have a major problem with AIDS because its
 >  "cultural values and traditions prohibited sexual promiscuity".
 >

 >It will be more meaningful if you can proove your words otherwise it can
be
 >assumed as your own accusation.
 >
 >ok

Okkar, I think the general meant , and quite correctly, that Myanmar sends
its ethnic women to Thailand after raping them.  This keeps the AIDS in
Thailand, where it belongs.

Concerning the brothels that are appearing in Rangoon and other cities,
these are mostly frequented by military personnel, and therefore can be
considered a function of military policy, rather than commercial
prostitution.