Jailed pro-democracy protester 'in

THE JOURNAL (Newcastle, UK)
October 18, 1999, Monday Edition 1

Jailed pro-democracy protester 'in good health' - Family receives letter
from Burma

BYLINE: by Peter Mccusker

   THE family of jailed pro-democracy campaigner James Mawdsley have heard
he is in "good health
and spirits", and received their first detailed letter from him.

British vice consul to Burma Karen Williams saw James last Friday. It is
only the second time he has
been allowed a visit since he was jailed seven weeks ago.

Mr Mawdsley, 26, dictated a letter in which he says he is "very happy". He
says he will not appeal
against his sentence as he does not recognise the legitimacy of the Burmese
government.

And he goes on to thank his father for recommending he takes exercise, and
has asked his mother to
bring books when she visits.

Mother Diana, of Brancepeth, Durham City, last night welcomed the letter,
which came via the Foreign
Office in London.

She said: "We are delighted. I was distraught not knowing how he was. It
must be desperately lonely for
him. But now I know how he is, I feel a hell of a lot better."

James, a former pupil at Hexham's Queen Elizabeth Sixth Form College was
jailed for 17 years in early
September for entering Burma without a visa and possessing pro-democracy
literature.

He is currently being held in Keng Tung prison. This is the third time he
has been arrested in Burma for
his pro-democracy activities. During detainment last summer he was tortured.

In the letter shown to The Journal, James says: "I am sure you will not
misunderstand but I am very
happy . . . It is not the lack of resources or development which is causing
the deep suffering, but it is
because the military regime does not regard the people of Burma as human
beings. MKN [a fellow
prisoner] has been in solitary confinement for more than 10 years. I would
like every foreigner who
comes to Burma to ask the SPDC [the military junta] when they will release
MKN.

"I do not recognise the legitimacy of the SPDC so I will not appeal through
their legal system . . . I am
not suffering.

"I hope the Glovers, the Hens [the Henburys who are family friends] and
especially Sarah [sister-in-law]
are not upset. I am fine."

The letter also came with a communique from the Foreign Office which
included a summary of Ms
Williams' visit. It says James is in "good health and spirits", and
continues: "The only physical difference
she noted was that James was sporting a beard."

Comment: Page 10

GRAPHIC: Noble cause: James Mawdsley, imprisoned by the Burmese authorities
for his
anti-government protests.

Internet ProLink PC User