The Torture and Death of Leo Nichol

Subject: Re: The Torture and Death of Leo Nichols

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 OKKAR66129@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 10/18/99 10:55:00 PM SE Asia Standard Time,
> dohrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << The report on the torture of Leo Nichols was made by the Norwegian Foreign
>  Ministry.  It was backed by numerous eyewitness accounts that were
>  subsequently published.  Your junta employers received numerous requests
>  from Mr. Nichols' family, and from the international community, to turn
>  over his body.  These requests were refused, and the junta cremated him.
>  For you to squawk now about "where is the proof?" is about as pathetic as
>  the derisive commentaries published after his death, that sought to
>  protray him as an unlamented "bad hat."  Gag. >>
>
> I have sent out his death certificate on the web that time and the cause of
> his death is mentioned by the doctor on that.
>
> It is the sound proof of what you are lying.

That is just too funny.  When the international tribunal convenes to
examine the crimes committed in Burma, we will see what sort of
credibility is given to "death certificates" written by "doctors" serving
prisoners in junta jails.

The papers in Rangoon after Mr. Nichols' death reported that it was the
"rich food" that he ate in prison that caused his death, rather than the
nightly, continuous interrogations that wore him down until he died.

> You said that Junta cremated him. Do you know where his tomb was situated?
> I am sure that you don't know. For you knowledge I will tell you. His
> relatives
> cremated him at Sawbwagyigon Christian Cemetry in Insein Township. Do you
> want to know how I know about this? I was back to our country two times on
> November 2nd (All souls day in Myanmar) after his death. Since some of my
> relatives are also cremated there I went to the cemetry, attended Mass,
> lighted
> candles on Leo Nichols tomb and said prayers for his soul.

We were both wrong here.  I by saying his body was cremated, you by saying
same. According to his family, they "do not live in Burma and did not have
the opportunity to attend (the) funeral. He was buried at the cemetry
mentioned in your account not cremated. However it is not true that his
body was returned to his relatives. This is a distortion of the facts. His
body was made available prior to the burial service commencing and he was
in prison garb. His body was then dressed in a suit in front of all the
supporters that attended ( they defied the military order that only a
small number of nominated people were allowed to attend).

Further a memorial service was planned for him to be attended by his
foreign friends and other supporters but this was hijacked by the military
with a threat to all the church leadership that this was not to happen.
The weak leadership observed this order and (Leo Nichols) and his friends
and family were denied the opportunity to formally say their goodbyes. His
grave is still watched and all that go there for whatever reason are
questioned and their names are recorded by the military police."

Of course if you actually go there to ask forgiveness, all you need is a
wink and a nod at your military police comrades, as you OSS guys are the
ones enjoying the only "freedom" in the land.