Burma Out!! : OLYMPICS YES - BUT BU

Subject: Burma Out!! : OLYMPICS YES - BUT BURMA OUT!

RE: OLYMPICS YES - BUT BURMA OUT!
3507 words and 9 pages

PLAYING FOOTSY WITH FASCISTS

"If the world had done to Burma even a fraction of what we did to South
Africa and Vietnam, the SLORC's army, like the other evil autocracies which
have passed or are passing into history, would not have been able to hold on."

An extract from the address given by The Honourable Justice Marcus Einfeld
AO QC, keynote speaker at the "Restoring the Rule of Law in Burma"
Conference held at NSW Parliament House, Sydney 6th August 1999.

The continuing denial of democracy in Burma is not a localised problem, but
one which we must take on as our own in the quest to bring democracy,
justice and human rights into the mainstream agenda of every country in the
world.  Australia cannot continue in its reluctance to take other countries
to task for flagrant human rights violations.  It is our responsibility and
duty to bring our expertise and experience to regimes, such as that of
Burma, in order to ensure an effective promotion of human rights in a
country where the military junta, despite democratic elections in 1990,
continues to deny and trample on the most basic of peoples' rights.

It is 4 years since democracy leader and Nobel laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi,
was supposedly released after 6 years of what was called house arrest but
was actually the torture of isolation and forced separation from husband,
the late Michael Aris, and children, friends and colleagues.  The military
junta held out Suu Kyi's release as proof of its intention to comply with
the law and restore democracy to Burma.  Of course they did no such thing.
They did not even restore Suu Kyi's rights.  The so-called 'constructive
engagement' policy of what was then Burma's State Law and Order Restoration
Council (SLORC) - whose very  the Insein Prison, prior to a visit by the Red
Cross.  In reaction to her allegations, a junta statement stated, or more
appropriately, threatened, that her comments were "counter-productive" for
prisoners and their families.  The regime is simply not prepared to grant
political concessions.  The generals do not recognise, and regularly trample
on, the most basic of the people's rights.

The democratic world advocates a constitution for Burma which establishes a
democratic political system and guarantees their fundamental human rights.
But the SLORC will have nothing of such an enlightened popular approach to
the future of the country.  According to the generals, no one but the
military can know what is good for the people.

The SLORC's idea of a new democracy was its 'National Convention'.  However,
those who may participate in its works were restricted.  For instance, the
SLORC maintains to this very day that the largely Muslim Rohingya people
from Western Burma do not belong to the 135 indigenous ethnic races of the
country.  Insisting that they are illegal immigrants who entered Arakan
during the British colonial period, the regime precludes them from
participation in the future political process.  Yet a few years ago they
negotiated the return of thousands of Rohingyas from Bangladesh where they
had fled as refugees.  I was there in Bangladesh to meet them.  Their
treatment by the Burmese regime was appalling and was only stopped by
international pressure for their return.  The SLORC has its own ideas about
refugees as about everything else.

To facilitate the National Convention, the self appointed self perpetuating
junta negotiated a ceasefire with some of the various minority groups which
had been at war with the State.  The ceasefire gave the participating
opposition groups the right to exclude the army from its territory, the idea
being to divide the opposition groups and sort out differences after the
country was operating under a new constitution.  It is not difficult to
imagine what will happen to these unfortunate groups then.  However, the
minority groups who opposed the SLORC and did not come on board the
ceasefire before the National Convention were not represented amongst its
number.  To be heard on the issue of the people's constitution, they had to
abjectly surrender.

Let there be no doubt.  The junta's National Convention is, was and has
always been a scheme by the military dictatorship to perpetuate its control.
The military brought together basically handpicked delegates, pretending
that they were representatives of the people and of recognised political
parties, and directed them to adopt principles that will entrench the power
of the military.  The future president must have long military service, and
25% of the seats in each house of the legislature must be reserved for the
armed forces.  The delegates are precluded from discussing the Convention
and policies outside the formal committee meetings; all speeches and reports
to the committees are vetted before presentation.

Fear is the major bar to opposition for the junta's own proposals for the
constitution so that only those proposals are discussed and approved.  It is
unarguably clear that one of the SLORC's goals in the National Convention is
to retain a dominant role in all future governments in Burma, and thereby to
frustrate the will of the people.  And at the present rate the Convention is
dealing with the draft constitution, it will be meeting for years, even
decades.  How better can the people's aspirations be denied?

The total destruction of the Karen headquarters in January 1995, the murder
of many Karen people at Manerplaw and Kawmoora adjacent to the Thai border
and the ongoing offensive against the Karen National Union guerillas,
causing some 300 refugees, mostly women, elders and children, to flee in
June this year (Burmese News Update June 1999) represents the brutal use of
a national army against its own people.  I have always thought that national
armies were designed to protect the people, not cower, threaten and wage war
on them.  This is a military which is allocated fully 50% of its nation's
budget despite the chronic impoverishment of the people and the country
having no external enemies.  We are talking of the largest and best equipped
military in Asia.  Who else but its country's own people are they being
conscripted and equipped to fight?

 The outrageous inhuman practice of "portering" by which men, women and
children are conscripted by the regime for mountainous labouring work while
living in torturous conditions on near starvation rations continues.
Perhaps worst of all, the whole country is overrun by drugs, corruption and
a widespread absence of basic services for ordinary people such as health,
education, housing and work, not to mention human freedom.  For those who
have work, an average government employee's daily wage is said to provide
the capacity to purchase a mere 2 eggs.  Burma is also one of the world's
largest producers of opium and heroin, and in the first five months of this
year, seizures of stimulant tablets doubled compared to the same period in 1998.
The fact is that in less than a generation the SLORC and its internal and
external allies have reduced one of the richest countries in the world to
one of the poorest.  No wonder the regime is now actively seeking investment
from western commercial enterprises and their professional representatives.
Regrettably quite a number have been seduced, as have some national leaders.

But both nations and individuals, including former Prime Ministers of this
country, should not mix their search for financial reward or advancement of
their own or others' commercial interests with apparently dispassionate
human rights commentary which is ultimately quite false and merely condones
shocking abuses.  Those who fail this simple test in Burma at the very end
of this most infamous of centuries should beware of the unattractive company
they are joining.

The overall human rights situation in the country continues to deteriorate.
A report to the UN General Assembly by a special human rights investigator
quite recently told of summary executions, torture and rape by the military
with impunity.  The military has asserted that such accusations are
unfounded and that nothing can be done unless the victims bring their cases
to the authorities concerned.  But they will not allow me or other leaders
or international organisations or media to investigate the reports or
advocate the cases brought to our attention.

Refugees

Today Burma is the largest refugee-producing country in South East Asia.
More than 100,000 Burmese are already living over the Thai border, most
being ethnic minority groups who have fled the fighting between the military
junta and the armed rebel groups seeking autonomy, with the safety of the
Karen refugees particularly pressing.  Last month the Huay Kalok refugee
camp, home to about 8,000 refugees, mostly ethnic Karens, was burned to the
ground for the third time in the past three years by pro-Rangoon armed
troops allegedly assisted by Burmese government soldiers (Burma News Update
July 1999).