Statement of the Wa National Organi

Subject: Statement of the Wa National Organization

A Positional Statement of the Wa National Organization on Drugs

No.4/99								Date-28-10-99

We are saddened by the Bangkok Post article in the 28 September   1999
issue, which unjustly accused our WNO as an organization involved in drugs.
Its apparent aim from some quarter was to create misunderstandings among
our friends,allied groups, and the world community in general. With a
strong intention of clarification of this unfortunate situation, we are
releasing this positional statement on drugs which is as follows:-

(1)	We are very much aware that drug production and trafficking is
contributing heavily to today's addiction among the world's youth, and the
cause of untold problems, affecting character and health, and one which  is
increasing day by day and consequently an international level issue now.

We, the WNO, hereby enact this fundamental law to resolutely oppose illicit
drugs, and to enforce this law against any person or group violating it.

(2)	We shall undertake educational and eradication programs on a nation
wide scale. Priority shall be given as deemed necessary for such work in
certain problem areas and the degree to which they are affected.

(3)	Programs to eradicate drugs and to rehabilitate drug victims shall be
done in cooperation with national level agenda's and responsibilities, and
shall be actively implemented with international community involvement.

(4)	Opium crop substitution and related vocational education programs for
rehabilitation shall be realized in accordance with prevailing regional
circumstances, and for this purpose, every cooperation from all
international communities shall be warmly welcomed.

(5)	To abolish all drug abuses, it has become necessary to enact this law
and to take effective actions against any form of drug abuses in accordance.

We, the WNO, hereby finally and solemnly declare that we remain ready to
cooperate with all drug control organizations in the eradication once and
for all, of every form of illicit drug growing, refining and production,
and trafficking.

Central Committee
Wa National Organization.