SSA: Four Arrested Shans Still Unde

Subject: SSA: Four Arrested Shans Still Under Investigation

------=_NextPart_000_003B_01BF26C8.B1AEC980

SHAN HERALD AGENCY FOR NEWS

No: 11 - 2

SSA: Four Arrested Shans Still Under Investigation

Shan State Army's spokesman told S.H.A.N. the four Shans who were taken=20
along with one of its deserters last week were still under =
investigation.

Maj. Khun Surh, Liaison Officer for the Shan State Army led by Yawdserk, =

said the fate of the four suspects, who were taken in custody along with =

five other people from Maehongson's Pangmapha District on 28 October had =

not been decided yet. "Their case is still under review", he said. "As =
for=20
Maung Too, his desertion and involvement in drugs being well proven =
facts,=20
I believe his fate is effectively sealed".

Last week, one of the SSA's units slipped across the border and took off =

with 9 people from the village of Maihoong, Pangmapha District, =
Maehongson=20
Province. The action caused an uproar both in the local media and the=20
populace. The SSA later released 4 of their captives, but kept 5.

"We deeply regret for the inconvenience that has been caused by our=20
troops", Khun Surh told S.H.A.N..

He also added that an official statement was being drafted to be =
released=20
as soon as possible.

Khun Surh, 38, is the second son of General Kornzurng, the Shan =
resistance=20
leader who passed away in 1991 at the age of 65.

///END\\\
For further information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:
Shan Herald Agency for News.
P.O. Box. 15, Nonghoi P.O., 50007, Chiangmai, Thailand
Ph/Fax: (053) 807 121
e-mail: <shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

S.H.A.N. is a non-profit making, independent Shan media group. It is not =

affiliated to any political or armed organization.=20

------=_NextPart_000_003B_01BF26C8.B1AEC980

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3><STRONG><EM>SHAN HERALD AGENCY FOR=20
NEWS</EM></STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4 November 1999<BR><BR>No: 11 -=20
2<BR><BR><STRONG><FONT size=3D3>SSA: Four Arrested Shans Still Under=20
Investigation<BR><BR></FONT></STRONG>Shan State Army's spokesman told =
S.H.A.N.=20
the four Shans who were taken <BR>along with one of its deserters last =
week were=20
still under investigation.<BR><BR>Maj. Khun Surh, Liaison Officer for =
the Shan=20
State Army led by Yawdserk, <BR>said the fate of the four suspects, who =
were=20
taken in custody along with <BR>five other people from Maehongson's =
Pangmapha=20
District on 28 October had <BR>not been decided yet. "Their case is =
still under=20
review", he said. "As for <BR>Maung Too, his desertion and involvement =
in drugs=20
being well proven facts, <BR>I believe his fate is effectively=20
sealed".<BR><BR>Last week, one of the SSA's units slipped across the =
border and=20
took off <BR>with 9 people from the village of Maihoong, Pangmapha =
District,=20
Maehongson <BR>Province. The action caused an uproar both in the local =
media and=20
the <BR>populace. The SSA later released 4 of their captives, but kept=20
5.<BR><BR>"We deeply regret for the inconvenience that has been caused =
by our=20
<BR>troops", Khun Surh told S.H.A.N..<BR><BR>He also added that an =
official=20
statement was being drafted to be released <BR>as soon as =
possible.<BR><BR>Khun=20
Surh, 38, is the second son of General Kornzurng, the Shan resistance =
<BR>leader=20
who passed away in 1991 at the age of 65.<BR><BR>///END\\\<BR>For =
further=20
information, please contact S.H.A.N. at:<BR>Shan Herald Agency for =
News.<BR>P.O.=20
Box. 15, Nonghoi P.O., 50007, Chiangmai, Thailand<BR>Ph/Fax: (053) 807=20
121<BR>e-mail: &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx";>shan@xxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><BR>S.H.A.=
N. is a=20
non-profit making, independent Shan media group. It is not =
<BR>affiliated to any=20
political or armed organization. <BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003B_01BF26C8.B1AEC980--