LT-GEN  KHIN NYUNT]

     From: The Economist

                        Two concepts of sovereignty

                              by Kofi A. Annan

     As heads of state and government gather in New York for the
     annual session of the UN General Assembly Kofi Annan, the UN
     secretary-general, gives us his thoughts on international
     intervention in humanitarian crises, and the changes needed for
     the next century.

     The tragedy of East Timor, coming so soon after that of Kosovo,
     has focused attention once again on the need for timely
     intervention by the international community when death and
     suffering are being inflicted on large numbers of people, and
     when the state nominally in charge is unable or unwilling to stop
     it.

     In Kosovo a group of states intervened without seeking authority
     from the United Nations Security Council. In Timor the council
     has now authorised intervention, but only after obtaining an
     invitation from Indonesia. We all hope that this will rapidly
     stabilise the situation, but many hundreds-probably thousands-of
     innocent people have already perished. As in Rwanda five years
     ago, the international community stands accused of doing too
     little, too late.

     Neither of these precedents is satisfactory as a model for the
     new millennium. Just as we have learnt that the world cannot
     stand aside when gross and systematic violations of human rights
     are taking place, we have also learnt that, if it is to enjoy the
     sustained support of the world's peoples, intervention must be
     based on legitimate and universal principles. We need to adapt
     our international system better to a world with new actors, new
     responsibilities, and new possibilities for peace and progress.

     State sovereignty, in its most basic sense, is being
     redefined-not least by the forces of globalisation and
     international co-operation. States are now widely understood to
     be instruments at the service of their peoples, and not vice
     versa. At the same time individual sovereignty-by which I mean
     the fundamental freedom of each individual, enshrined in the
     charter of the UN and subsequent international treaties-has been
     enhanced by a renewed and spreading consciousness of individual
     rights. When we read the charter today, we are more than ever
     conscious that its aim is to protect individual human beings, not
     to protect those who abuse them.

     These changes in the world do not make hard political choices any
     easier. But they do oblige us to think anew about such questions
     as how the UN responds to humanitarian crises; and why states are
     willing to act in some areas of conflict, but not in others where
     the daily toll of death and suffering is as bad or worse. From
     Sierra Leone to Sudan, from Angola to Afghanistan, there are
     people who need more than words of sympathy. They need a real and
     sustained commitment to help end their cycles of violence, and
     give them a new chance to achieve peace and prosperity.

     The genocide in Rwanda showed us how terrible the consequences of
     inaction can be in the face of mass murder. But this year's
     conflict in Kosovo raised equally important questions about the
     consequences of action without international consensus and clear
     legal authority.

     It has cast in stark relief the dilemma of so-called
     "humanitarian intervention". On the one hand, is it legitimate
     for a regional organisation to use force without a UN mandate? On
     the other, is it permissible to let gross and systematic
     violations of human rights, with grave humanitarian consequences,
     continue unchecked? The inability of the international community
     to reconcile these two compelling interests in the case of Kosovo
     can be viewed only as a tragedy.

     To avoid repeating such tragedies in the next century, I believe
     it is essential that the international community reach
     consensus-not only on the principle that massive and systematic
     violations of human rights must be checked, wherever they take
     place, but also on ways of deciding what action is necessary, and
     when, and by whom. The Kosovo conflict and its outcome have
     prompted a debate of worldwide importance. And to each side in
     this debate difficult questions can be posed.

     To those for whom the greatest threat to the future of
     international order is the use of force in the absence of a
     Security Council mandate, one might say: leave Kosovo aside for a
     moment, and think about Rwanda. Imagine for one moment that, in
     those dark days and hours leading up to the genocide, there had
     been a coalition of states ready and willing to act in defence of
     the Tutsi population, but the council had refused or delayed
     giving the green light. Should such a coalition then have stood
     idly by while the horror unfolded?

     To those for whom the Kosovo action heralded a new era when
     states and groups of states can take military action outside the
     established mechanisms for enforcing international law, one might
     equally ask: Is there not a danger of such interventions
     undermining the imperfect, yet resilient, security system created
     after the second world war, and of setting dangerous precedents
     for future interventions without a clear criterion to decide who
     might invoke these precedents and in what circumstances? Nothing
     in the UN charter precludes a recognition that there are rights
     beyond borders. What the charter does say is that "armed force
     shall not be used, save in the common interest." But what is that
     common interest? Who shall define it? Who shall defend it? Under
     whose authority? And with what means of intervention? In seeking
     answers to these monumental questions, I see four aspects of
     intervention which need to be considered with special care.

     First, "intervention" should not be understood as referring only
     to the use of force. A tragic irony of many of the crises that go
     unnoticed or unchallenged in the world today is that they could
     be dealt with by far less perilous acts of intervention than the
     one we saw this year in Yugoslavia. And yet the commitment of the
     world to peacekeeping, to humanitarian assistance, to
     rehabilitation and reconstruction varies greatly from region to
     region, and crisis to crisis. If the new commitment to
     humanitarian action is to retain the support of the world's
     peoples, it must be-and must be seen to be-universal,
     irrespective of region or nation. Humanity, after all, is
     indivisible.

     Second, it is clear that traditional notions of sovereignty alone
     are not the only obstacle to effective action in humanitarian
     crises. No less significant are the ways in which states define
     their national interests. The world has changed in profound ways
     since the end of the cold war, but I fear our conceptions of
     national interest have failed to follow suit. A new, broader
     definition of national interest is needed in the new century,
     which would induce states to find greater unity in the pursuit of
     common goals and values. In the context of many of the challenges
     facing humanity today, the collective interest is the national
     interest.

     Third, in cases where forceful intervention does become
     necessary, the Security Council-the body charged with authorising
     the use of force under international law-must be able to rise to
     the challenge. The choice must not be between council unity and
     inaction in the face of genocide-as in the case of Rwanda-and
     council division, but regional action, as in the case of Kosovo.
     In both cases, the UN should have been able to find common ground
     in upholding the principles of the charter, and acting in defence
     of our common humanity.

     As important as the council's enforcement power is its deterrent
     power, and unless it is able to assert itself collectively where
     the cause is just and the means available, its credibility in the
     eyes of the world may well suffer. If states bent on criminal
     behaviour know that frontiers are not an absolute defence-that
     the council will take action to halt the gravest crimes against
     humanity-then they will not embark on such a course assuming they
     can get away with it. The charter requires the council to be the
     defender of the "common interest". Unless it is seen to be so-in
     an era of human rights, interdependence and globalisation-there
     is a danger that others will seek to take its place.

     Fourth, when fighting stops, the international commitment to
     peace must be just as strong as was the commitment to war. In
     this situation, too, consistency is essential. Just as our
     commitment to humanitarian action must be universal if it is to
     be legitimate, so our commitment to peace cannot end as soon as
     there is a ceasefire. The aftermath of war requires no less
     skill, no less sacrifice, no fewer resources than the war itself,
     if lasting peace is to be secured.

     This developing international norm in favour of intervention to
     protect civilians from wholesale slaughter will no doubt continue
     to pose profound challenges to the international community. In
     some quarters it will arouse distrust, scepticism, even
     hostility. But I believe on balance we should welcome it. Why?
     Because, despite all the difficulties of putting it into
     practice, it does show that humankind today is less willing than
     in the past to tolerate suffering in its midst, and more willing
     to do something about it.

State sovereignty is the foundation of United Nation; it must stand
for  all members, not just for powerful and influential ones

 Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt,
  "The New Light of Myanmar" 25 October 1999 (online version)

YANGON, 24 Oct - The 54th Anniversary of United Nations Day  observed at
Thabin Hall of Pyithu Hluttaw building on Pyay Road at 6 pm today,  was
attended by Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Council Lt-Gen
Khin Nyunt.

Secretary-l Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt delivered an addresses.He said: "Today, we
celebrate the 54th Anniversary of the United Nations. For the people of
Myanmar this is a particularly auspicious day since it coincides with one
of the holiest days  in the Buddhist Calendar--The Full Moon day of
Thadingyut (the end of the  Buddhist Lent). Myanmar is a multi-religious
country where the people of  various religious faiths, be they Buddhists,
Christians, Muslims or Hindus,  live in harmony and tolerance with one
another. People of one religious faith  join others in celebrating the
other's religious day. Therefore, the people
of Myanmar celebrate today not only its holiest religious day but also the
birth of the world Organization that has dedicated itself to world peace
and  security and to bring progress and prosperity to the people of the
world."

        "Myanmar since it regained its independence has consistently
followed  a foreign policy, the cornerstone of which is cooperation with
the United  Nations. Today, as we celebrate the 54th Anniversary of the
United Nations we would like to reiterate our readiness to continue this
cooperation, whether  it is in promoting international peace and security,
in the field  of poverty  alleviation or in the endeavour to safeguard and
protect environment. Just as  we are firm in our determination to promote
international peace and security,  we in Myanmar are ourselves building a
society where the rule of law prevails
and the people of the country can live in peace and stability. We are
building a nation where  all the 135 national races of the Union can live
in  unity and harmony."

        "Peace and stability must be built upon the firm foundations of
unity  and solidarity. This is true for nations as well as for relations
among  nations. Owing to its colonial past, and  because of its numerous
national  groups, unity is of particular importance for Myanmar.
Therefore,  we are  presently concentrating our utmost efforts to rebuild
national unity and
bring about national reconsolidation among various nationalities of the
Union. Consequently for the very first time since we regained our
independence, we are able to bring peace and tranquillity to all corners
of  the  country. This has enabled us to concentrate our efforts to bring
development to the border  areas, which until recently was not possible
because of internal insurgency. To date, the government has built schools,
hospitals and dispensaries. We have built roads, bridges and irrigation
dams. It has enabled the government to introduce alternative cash crops so
that the  people in these areas will no longer have to resort to growing
opium poppy  for their daily subsistence. To date, we have spent more than
Kyats 15  billion of our own resources for this endeavour. We regard it is
money well spent as it has direct benefit to the inhabitants of the border
areas, and  thereby contributes significantly to national unity and
political stability.  It has also the added benefit of bringing better
living standard and  livelihood to our national brethren residing in these
areas. Just as we are  building peace and stability at the national level,
we are also cooperating  with our regional neighbours to build regional
peace and security. With our  fellow ASEAN members, we are striving to
build South East Asia into a zone of  peace, friendship and prosperity. In
Conclusion of my statement, I will like  to express that Myanmar in the
twently first century as a new modern,  democratic and developed nation--a
nation that is peaceful, stable and  unified--a nation that is
environmentally sound and economically sustainable.
It will also be a nation that takes it rightful place in the international
community and make a meaningful contribution towards international peace,
security and development. To achieve that objective, we also look forward
to  working  together with  the United Nations and its component members."

Later, the artistes of the Fine Arts Department of the Ministry of Culture
presented cultural dances-apyodaw group dance, group dances for the royal
page boys, marionette dances, duet dances, group dances of the court
maidens and group dances symbolizing the spirit of the United Nations for
the guests on the occasion.
Internet ProLink PC User