Bkk post -Editorial - We can do wit

Subject: Bkk post -Editorial - We can do without the exploitation

Bangkok Post - Nov 10, 1999.
Editorial - We can do without the exploitation

The timing of the forced repatriation of foreigners working in Thailand
illegally, most of them Burmese, could not have been worse. The move had
been planned for months and had been put off more than once, but when the
time finally came to send these people home it just happened to follow
closely on the Oct 1-2 hostage drama at the Burmese Embassy in Bangkok, and
so relations between our two countries had sunk to their lowest ebb.
Rangoon's ruling junta had shut the border in clear retaliation to the Thai
government's release of the five men who occupied the embassy.

The repatriation to date, especially at the border crossings from Tak
province's Mae Sot district, reveals bungling of tragic proportions.
Thousands of Burmese have been left to languish in the jungles on either
side of the Moei River. They have nowhere to go and most are without food
after they were expelled first from Thailand and then pushed back at
gunpoint by Burmese troops. Some have been seen trying to swim back across
the river to Thailand in the belief that at least they won't be allowed to
just die of hunger here. Two have been killed by Thai farmers who mistook
them for thieves.

In some ways, the ordeal faced by the Burmese illegal workers is similar to
that of Thais who work illegally or are imprisoned in sweatshops in foreign
lands in their often futile pursuit of that pot at the end of the rainbow.
Both are exploited by their employers. Sadly, many Thais take the
exploitation of cheap foreign labour for granted. Many do not bother to
raise a finger at the unnecessary suffering of those poor souls caught
between their homeland and their host country. Are we suffering compassion
fatigue?This forced repatriation has been a terrible failure. It has caused
truly unnecessary hardship for these people, people who deserve humane
treatment just like anybody else-if not employment on Thai soil. The
repatriation must be put on hold until talks can resume with Rangoon,
preferably at Thailand's initiative, to arrange for their orderly return
home.

And let's not forget that this forced repatriation is hurting many local and
expatriate companies that depend on-or, to be more precise, take advantage
of-the cheap Burmese labour to keep their costs down. With the support of
the Federation of Thai Industries, these investors in Tak province nearby
the border have been putting pressure on the government to find them 20,000
workers to replace the departing Burmese. But what they'd prefer, of course,
is to have the illegal Burmese back.

Even though these businesses are required by law to have at least 20% Thai
staff, most clearly prefer to have all Burmese workers as they are not
covered by any minimum wage requirements. And they don't need to provide
these people with the normal employment expected by Thai staff. It is no
wonder that these businesses are much happier to employ Burmese, people who
they can exploit at will and without fear of repercussion, people who hardly
ever complain.

Thailand currently has a jobless rate of about two million people. These
people must be given the first opportunity to find employment. Only once
they are gainfully employed should foreigners be given the chance to work
here. But whether an employee is a Thai or a foreigner, he must be protected
by the same Thai labour laws-which means a minimum wage and all other
employment benefits.

Foreign investment is essential to our economic recovery and development.
Foreign investors are welcome. But this does not mean we need not be
selective. Investors who do not intend to obey our laws, who want to exploit
cheap Burmese labour and not create any jobs for Thai nationals, whose
projects cause harm to the environment, these people are best sent on their
way. We don't want their sort here.