Times -Barking hound dog - Part 3

Times - (Asia ) Nov 15, 1999 Vol. 154 No. 19

TIME: The outside world has not focused so much on the ethnic minority
problem as the problem of political pluralism, and therefore on the
stalemate between the government and the opposition. Will the U.N. visit
help foster dialogue between these two?
Win Aung: I think their mission wants to know how our national
constitutional convention is moving. I explained to them the situation we
are facing in our constitution-writing process. The National Convention
Convening Commission is meeting twice a week, and it has some difficulties
right now. The form of the future government has been accepted. They have
reached consensus. There will be state governments and a union government,
like in America or the Federal Republic of Germany.

Another problem we have solved is the problem of the autonomous regions,
which will be called self-administered areas (SAAs). These areas--Was and
Kokangs and others are entitled to have self-administered areas--will have
their own parliaments also. Right now the difficult thing is that there are
interest groups. The states would like to have their legislative and
administrative powers defined. Maybe they would like more power and the
union may like them to have less. The delegates cannot reach a consensus on
how to share power between the states and the federal government. There were
expert groups working on the issues, and sometimes they discussed one
paragraph all day, yet they could not finish. This is to decide the fate of
the country--the union--which will last thousands of years, let us hope, not
just two or three years and then fall apart. That is why it is so important,
and we are giving them time to reach consensus.

We did not want to rush them, but of course we all hoped it could move
faster. For one thing, the 17 armed groups who have made ceasefires with the
government are still holding their arms. Only after the constitution has
been accepted and perhaps a referendum held will these forces be abolished
or absorbed. So there is a danger any time that things could break up. We
are like someone holding a grenade with the pin pulled out. We are trying to
put the pin back in so that if the grenade drops, it will not explode.

TIME: But then critics raise the question of how you can draft a new
constitution without the participation of the most popular political party
in the country, the NLD, which walked out of the convention in protest. How
do you answer that question? Are you making any effort to get the NLD back
into that process? Doing that would take dialogue with the NLD, and
therefore all such issues fall within the mandate of Mr. De Soto's
discussions.
Win Aung: In my interview with Mr. De Soto, I told him sincerity is needed
on their side. You know [Aung San Suu Kyi's] character. She confronts,
denounces, attacks and tries to exert pressure on the government. This
[strategy] has no regard for the other side. If she wants real dialogue, she
needs to create an atmosphere in which it can take place. Some people tell
us, "You are stronger so you should hold out the olive branch first," but
internationally she is strong.

The people are the silent majority. All 48 million of them. If the
government is not doing anything for the people and the people are really
outraged, then the country would not be stable, but now the people
understand that there is no alternative to what the government is trying to
do. The people are giving us the time to cure the ills of the past and to
create a new path for the future. I am a democratic person myself. I would
like my children and myself to live under a real democratic situation, and
the same sentiment is also held by Senior General Than Shwe and other people
in the government. Perhaps you are surprised that the military says, "We
don't want to have military rule forever."

TIME: They may be sincere in what they are saying, but years have gone by
and still they are in power, so the world is becoming impatient for change.
Win Aung: But there is no alternative right now because of the complex
situation. If the military were not here, let me assure you that our country
would collapse tomorrow. You can see what's happening in Indonesia. Everyone
is [looking to] General Wiranto. Why? Because only the army can guarantee
non-disintegration of Indonesia into pieces.

TIME: Is there any progress toward dialogue as a result of the U.N. mission?
Win Aung: They went back understanding our situation better. I don't want to
prejudge the substance of Mr. De Soto's report. I will say that all the
leaders, after I explained what we are trying to do, ended our conversation
with one phrase: "Mr. Minister, I appreciate what you are explaining to me,
and I wish you success in reaching your goal successfully." This is because
we explained to them, "We are not trying to build a communist state or a
dictator state or to have one-party rule. We are trying to have the
emergence of a real, workable, disciplined multiparty system as in your
countries. But let us solve the problems first. We are trying to solve the
problems and at the same time build." I explained to them, "We are like
builders, carpenters and plumbers, building a house, not for our enjoyment
only but for everyone--who are the rightful owners of the house--to enjoy.
And the people themselves will choose who will finish building the house.

TIME: What is your hope for the conclusions De Soto's report will draw?
Win Aung: Better understanding of our real situation, which might not be the
same as what the media has portrayed.

TIME: Did you get any hints of what the other side said to De Soto?
Win Aung: We know that the NLD had not a word of praise for us. [Laughs]

TIME: So you're not aware of any change on their part?
Win Aung: No, not yet.

TIME: But it takes two to have a dialogue. So are you strong enough to reach
out to them, even if they are still calling you names?
Win Aung: You know, time will tell. Right now the atmosphere is a little
misty.

TIME: But it's the end of the rainy season. Do you see clarity on the
horizon?
Win Aung: Yes.