No Subject Given

FORMER MEMBERS' ASSOCIATION OF STUDENT ARMY (FMASA)

POSITION PAPER FROM THE CENTRAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE, with excerpts from the
FMASA Constitution

STUDENTS' ROLE IN BURMESE POLITICAL MOVEMENT
The political movement of Burma for her independence and subsequent
political movements from 1948 to 1988, have included strong opposition to
illegal, illegitimate Burmese governments, and in every case, those
struggles were spearheaded by the students of Burma.
>From the coup in 1962 which brought about rule by the Burmese military
junta, the country began its tragic decline.  Military misrule in Burma has
been calamitous.  Evils inflicted by the military have caused terrible
suffering and great burdens.  Although the country is naturally prosperous,
with plenty of natural resources and great fertility, the military reduced
Burma to Least Developed Country in just a couple of decades.

8-8-88 PRO-DEMOCRACY UPRISING OF BURMA

In the years following the 1962 military take over, the situation in Burma
was like a powder keg.  Finally, on 8 August 1988, the country erupted, as
spontaneous pro-democracy uprisings swept the country with massive,
peaceful protests and strikes.
Brutally suppressing the nation-wide uprising, the military staged a coup
d'etat, renamed itself SLORC, appropriated all state power, and began to
persecute all who had been active in the 8888 uprising.

BURMESE JUNTA'S TERROR AND THE POLITICAL DISSIDENTS' DEMOCRACY MOVEMENTS

After SLORC's violent crackdown in 1988, many Burmese dissidents sought to
escape the military's persecution by fleeing to the country's borders, to
areas under the control of various ethnic minority resistence groups.

With SLORC determined to hold power, the internal political movement lead
by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has suffered severe repression, with arrests,
forced resignations, detentions, house arrests, torture, and even deaths in
detention.
However, according to the principle that opposition will live as long as
oppression, the struggles of the pro-democracy movement continue resolutely.

Because there has been no progress toward solution of the Burmese political
crisis and nothing but a hardening of its tyrannical position on the part
of the military rulers, civil wars have continued for over half a century.

Because the Burmese junta is an illegitimate, not an elected government,
they behave like terrorists toward the people of Burma, committing such
human rights violations as arbitrary killings, rapes, unjust appropriation
of property, forced labour,  forced relocation, racial cleansing, and
genocide.

Although these have become more widely known since 1988, the people of
Burma have been subjected to blatant human rights abuses since 1962.  On a
global scale, the Burmese junta ranks as one of the world's worst human
rights violators.  In addition to outright abuses, which admittedly do not
affect every citizen directly, by its inept and thoroughly corrupt
mismanagement of the country, the Burmese junta has led the country
backwards, reducing ordinary citizens to paupery, closing the schools and
universities to deny the country's youth a future, and effectively draining
the country of its educated, its healthcare workers, and other
professionals who seek to survive and practice their skills elsewhere.

THE ROLE OF STUDENT ARMY

We, as members of the pro-democratic movement, had no choice but to form
ourselves into an armed force to oppose the military junta oppressing our
country in 1988, and we allied ourselves with ethnic minority organizations
in the border areas of the country.
In the border areas, the revolutionary organizations lacked sufficient
fundamental necessities to carry on their struggle.  As the liberated areas
were overrun in repeated dry-season offensives, we came to realize the
increased impracticality of armed struggle to bring about positive changes
in Burma.

FORMATION OF THE FORMER MEMBERS' ASSOCIATION OF STUDENT ARMY (FMASA)

After we students withdrew from armed struggle, we entered Thailand and
sought protection from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
(UNHCR).  Our numbers grew rapidly, especially in Thailand, but
subsequently we have become spread all over the world, as third countries
have accepted us for resettlement.  We wish to continue our noble struggle
for democracy and human rights in our homeland, consistent with our
experiences and our commitment to non-violence.  To further that end we
have worked to reorganize ourselves outside of the borderline.

As a result of these developments, a new organization, Former Members'
Association of Student Army (FMASA),  was formed on 15 April 1999.

FMASA'S CONSTITUTION

FMASA's constitution was adopted at a conference held in April 1999.

Chapter (1) clause (1) The Organization

Article 1
The name of the organization is Former Members' Association of Student Army
(FMASA)

Article 2
FMASA is an independent organization, not subordinate to any political
party or political organization.

Article 3
FMASA members are former comrades who were involved in the students' armed
struggle on behalf of the Student Army, (ABSDF's armed force) which was
formed after the 8-8-88 pro-democracy uprising.

Article 4
FMASA is a non-violent organization which resolutely upholds the goals of
the students of Burma, who have struggled courageously throughout the
history of Burma's political movements.  We are committed to continuing the
campaign for democracy in Burma.

Chapter (2) clause (1) Aims and Objectives
Article 14
FMASA's aims and objectives are as follows:

a) To totally uproot military tyranny from Burma
b) To achieve democracy and human rights in the country
c) To maintain national solidarity

Clause (2) Principles
Article 15
FMASA's principles are as follows:

a) To struggle to overcome the military dictatorship
b) To encourage and protect the internal political movements
c) Never to compromise with Burmese military junta

Clause (4) Work procedures
Article 17
According to its principles, FMASA has laid down following work schedule:

a) To organize the scattered former members of the student army as a
solidarity force and to maintain good communication.
b) To struggle for Burmese with various informed political strategies and
to more effectively utilize our newly organized forces.
c) To better effectively cooperate with those groups and individuals,
inside Burma and overseas, who share our goals of a democratic, free Burma.

FMASA AND NON VIOLENCE
In the name of FMASA, the words "student army" do not refer to military
activities, or armed, violent actions.  The name was chosen simply because
we are regrouping former members of the student army, who now wish to carry
out their struggle for democracy in Burma by means of political strategies.
Obviously, as former comrades, we still have a strong sense of esprit de
corps toward each other and there is very good understanding among us
because of all we have experienced together during our years of struggle in
the jungle.

Members of FMASA are carrying out their duties and obligations in
conformity with the FMASA constitution.  FMASA is a non-violent group and
we are collectively and individually committed to non-violent political
struggle.

THE CURRENT SITUATION IN BURMA

The Burmese military junta, the SPDC, continues its counter-democracy
efforts by denying its overwhelming loss in the 1990 general election, by
increased persecution of NLD members, especially MP s, by using the armed
forces and intelligence forces to bully the country into fearful, desperate
submission, by actively hindering the CRPP ( The Committee Representing the
People's Parliament) with various, unlawful methods.

Despite extreme financial difficulties, the Burmese military junta's budget
contains greater than ever expenditures for the military.  Burma's current
deficit has seriously widened to over 75.3 billion kyats, from a 1988
deficit of 6.3 billion kyats.

While some democratic countries have acted to halt business dealing with
the military junta, relatively few in the international community are aware
that the people of Burma are being oppressed by the vicious ruling junta.
The people of Burma hope for the international community's support in their
struggle for democracy and a civilian government responsive to their needs.
 The Burmese people firmly that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is their true leader
and that the CRPP is their rightful government.

FMASA'S CURRENT WORK PROCEDURES

We believe that until the Burmese junta is replaced by a democratically
chosen civilian government the following critical domestic problems cannot
be solved: the SPDC's violations of human rights, the ongoing civil war,
mistrust among the country's various ethnic groups, the economic crisis,
severe social problems such as drug abuse, extreme poverty and
malnutrition, the lack of educational opportunities, the AIDS crisis, and
many others.  Of course, Burma's poor relations with her neighbors and
serious regional problems are also connected to the misrule by the Burmese
military.

We also believe that support from democratic countries and the
international community will expedite Burma's return to democracy.  As soon
as that is achieved, we expect the country to become more stable and a much
better neighbor.  When Burma returns to democratic, civilian rule, the
world will see an end to destabilizing militarization threatening the
region and the corrupting narcotics trade, which has proved so lucrative to
the junta.  Certainly if the Burmese military's involvement in drug
trafficking were more widely known, there would be increased calls for
sanctions.

FMASA will endeavor to get support from democratic governments,
organizations and individuals in the international community for the cause
of Burmese democracy.

We will use political means to achieve the following demands.

The Burmese military junta must

1) Immediately and unconditionally release each and every political prisoner
2) Recognize the CRPP and the results of 1990 election
3) Engage in meaningful dialogue with the National leader, Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi
4) Take responsibility for the emergence of an interim civil government

CENTRAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

FMASA

http://home.earthlink.net/~brelief/index.htm