East Timor and Burmese Democracy

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01BF31EF.EB6D0B00

IRRAWADDY -  Vol. 7 No. 8, OCTOBER 1999

ARTICLE

East Timor and Burmese Democracy

By Moe Gyo

After Indonesian's formal acceptance of East Timor's separation, East =
Timorese independence leader Xanana Gusmao's made his triumphal return =
to the burned out streets of its capital Diii, where he declared that =
"we are independent now and forever" to a crowd gathered at the former =
governor's mansion.

For the East Timorese, independence marks the end of twenty-five years =
of fighting with Indonesia, but for other groups aspIring for =
independence and freedom from repres=ADsion, particularly those in =
Burma, the resolu=ADtion represents the successful exercise of the =
principle of self-determination and political transition.

Representatives of Shan and Karenni eth=ADnic minorities went to observe =
East Timor's referendum. Both Sao Ood Kesi, ChiefFor=ADeign Affairs =
Officer of the Shan State Arm (SSA) and Remon Htoo, General Secretary of =
the Karenni National Progress Party, took a trip there to witness the =
eventful occasion.

Sao Ood Kesi commented, "It is quite suitable forte United Nations =
troops to con=ADtrol the situation because of the torture by the =
Indonesian military."

The ties between these groups are rooted in their membership in the =
unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization (UNPO), known as the =
Alternative UN, set up by the Dalai Lama of Tibet and the Baltic States =
be=ADfore the collapse of the Soviet Union. The Shan States, Karenni and =
Mon of Burma are members, together with East Timorese and al=ADmost =
fifty other groups across the globe, work=ADing to support the right of =
self-detennination.

In a statement Sao Ood Kesi explained, "I felt proud to be there, =
because one of our [UNPO] members, whose right ofself-deter=ADmination =
had been recognized, was able to exercise the right."

The Shan and East Timorese share a tragic history: both were invaded by =
neighboring countries and have suffered under their rule. In 1950, then =
PM U Nu sent Burmese troops to the Shan States to counter invading =
Kuomintang troops. Four decades later the Burmese army is still there.

According to a SSA press release, "Both [Shan and East Timorese] enjoy =
the right of self determination being recognized, in the Shan States' =
case, by Panglong Agreement and the union constitution, and in East =
Tmor's case, by the international community."

But the key difference is that international support for the East =
Timorese has enabled them to hold areftendum while, according to the SSA =
pness release, "the people of Shari States are still being denied of =
their con=ADstitutional right to hold the long overdue plebiscita This =
situation also applies to at least one other constituent state, the =
Karenni."

Identification with the East Timorese comes not only from eth=ADmc =
groups, but other Burmese op=ADposed to the junta's oppression. "What =
has happened in Burma is no different from what has happened in East =
Timor, only it has been implemented in a rather different way so that it =
is less noticeable. So we feel a great sense of empathy for the people =
ofEast Timor because we have suffered the same kind of wrongs," said =
Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Xanana Gusmao, predicted to be the fu=ADtare president of East Timor, =
has expressed his support for the Burmese as well. In an interview with =
the Nation newspaper he stated, "When we are free from the Indonesian =
mdi=ADtary dictatorship, we promise we will pay all attention to helping =
the Burmese people. That is a moral obligation and solidarity with the =
Burmese people. We wttl try to help Aung San Suu Kyi, whom we admire and =
who has in=ADspired us."

Just as the Nato-backed Kosovo interven=ADtion set a precedent that =
alarmed the Burmese (and Chinese), so has the referendum and =
in=ADdependence for East Timor On the eve of the International Force for =
East Timor mission, Burma's junta delivered a message of support forte =
Indonesians, "We flully sympathize with our Indonesian brothers. Myanmar =
and Indo=ADnesia have always enjoyed a special relation=ADship dating =
back to the days of the struggle for independence."

Burma has long modeled its regime after Suharto's Indonesia, which =
utilized the military's principle ofdwiliingst or dual func=ADtion, to =
legitimate its involvement in politics. With the end of Suharto's rule =
and the separa=ADtion of East Timor; thejunta is second-guess=ADing its =
model.

The junta's statement of sympathy for In=ADdonesia is born out of fear =
that they too may face the same international and domestic pres=ADsure =
to permit a referendum whose results, unlike Burma's 1990 eleaion, will =
be enforced by UN troops.

The Burmese government has also tried to distance themselves from the =
Indonesian situation. "To try draw too much comparison between the =
situations in two countries lacks relevancy," said one junta =
spokesperson.

Also troubling for the Burmese govern=ADment is China's contribution of =
a twenty-mem=ADber police force to be sent to East Timor. This is a =
break with its past opposition to interfer=ADence in the internal =
affairs of countries, which was based on its concern over Tibet and =
Taiwan's interests in autonorny. Both Tibet and Taiwan have lobbied for =
international support for their autonomy from China. The junta has =
counted on the Chinese to oppose interfer=ADence in internal affairs of =
states, but no longer. One dissident group, the National Council of the =
Union of Burma, issued a statement com=ADmending China's allotment of =
police to the East Timor effort as "a positive development =AD....... we =
view it as a remarkable shift in the foreign policy of the People's =
Republic of China." However, East Timor is not a strate=ADgic interest =
ofthe Chinese whereas Burma, a neighbor; is.

East Timor's future in Asean is uncertain. While Asean members have =
supported its membership, East Timorese leader Jose Ramos Horta sees his =
country as more attuned to the South Pacific Forum and supports East =
Timor's role in Asean as that of an observer. It may even become a =
dialogue partner.

UNPO's covenant, to which East Timor is a signatory, states that any =
nation becoming a member of the UN, which East Timor is moving towards, =
has the moral duty to remain
a supporting member of the organization.

East Timor is both an inspirational vic=ADtory as well as a new source =
of support for the Burmese democracy movement. For the Rangoon junta, =
East Timor may prove to he more than a pebble in its shoe.

Moe Gyo (pseudonym) is a member of the Irrawaddy's editorial staff.

-------

-------

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01BF31EF.EB6D0B00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3>
<DIV align=3Djustify><FONT size=3D4><STRONG>IRRAWADDY -&nbsp; Vol. 7 No. =
8, OCTOBER=20
1999</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><STRONG>ARTICLE</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><FONT color=3D#ff0000><STRONG>East Timor and =
Burmese=20
Democracy</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR><STRONG>By Moe Gyo</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify>After Indonesian's formal acceptance of East =
Timor's=20
separation, East Timorese independence leader Xanana Gusmao's made his =
triumphal=20
return to the burned out streets of its capital Diii, where he declared =
that "we=20
are independent now and forever" to a crowd gathered at the former =
governor's=20
mansion.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>For the East Timorese, independence marks the =
end of=20
twenty-five years of fighting with Indonesia, but for other groups =
aspIring for=20
independence and freedom from repres&shy;sion, particularly those in =
Burma, the=20
resolu&shy;tion represents the successful exercise of the principle of=20
self-determination and political transition.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>Representatives of Shan and Karenni eth&shy;nic =

minorities went to observe East Timor's referendum. Both Sao Ood Kesi,=20
ChiefFor&shy;eign Affairs Officer of the Shan State Arm (SSA) and Remon =
Htoo,=20
General Secretary of the Karenni National Progress Party, took a trip =
there to=20
witness the eventful occasion.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>Sao Ood Kesi commented, "It is quite suitable =
forte=20
United Nations troops to con&shy;trol the situation because of the =
torture by=20
the Indonesian military."</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>The ties between these groups are rooted in =
their=20
membership in the unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization (UNPO), =
known=20
as the Alternative UN, set up by the Dalai Lama of Tibet and the Baltic =
States=20
be&shy;fore the collapse of the Soviet Union. The Shan States, Karenni =
and Mon=20
of Burma are members, together with East Timorese and al&shy;most fifty =
other=20
groups across the globe, work&shy;ing to support the right of=20
self-detennination.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>In a statement Sao Ood Kesi explained, "I felt =
proud to=20
be there, because one of our [UNPO] members, whose right=20
ofself-deter&shy;mination had been recognized, was able to exercise the=20
right."</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>The Shan and East Timorese share a tragic =
history: both=20
were invaded by neighboring countries and have suffered under their =
rule. In=20
1950, then PM U Nu sent Burmese troops to the Shan States to counter =
invading=20
Kuomintang troops. Four decades later the Burmese army is still =
there.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>According to a SSA press release, "Both [Shan =
and East=20
Timorese] enjoy the right of self determination being recognized, in the =
Shan=20
States' case, by Panglong Agreement and the union constitution, and in =
East=20
Tmor's case, by the international community."</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>But the key difference is that international =
support for=20
the East Timorese has enabled them to hold areftendum while, according =
to the=20
SSA pness release, "the people of Shari States are still being denied of =
their=20
con&shy;stitutional right to hold the long overdue plebiscita This =
situation=20
also applies to at least one other constituent state, the =
Karenni."</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>Identification with the East Timorese comes not =
only from=20
eth&shy;mc groups, but other Burmese op&shy;posed to the junta's =
oppression.=20
"What has happened in Burma is no different from what has happened in =
East=20
Timor, only it has been implemented in a rather different way so that it =
is less=20
noticeable. So we feel a great sense of empathy for the people ofEast =
Timor=20
because we have suffered the same kind of wrongs," said Burmese =
opposition=20
leader Aung San Suu Kyi.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>Xanana Gusmao, predicted to be the fu&shy;tare =
president=20
of East Timor, has expressed his support for the Burmese as well. In an=20
interview with the Nation newspaper he stated, "When we are free from =
the=20
Indonesian mdi&shy;tary dictatorship, we promise we will pay all =
attention to=20
helping the Burmese people. That is a moral obligation and solidarity =
with the=20
Burmese people. We wttl try to help Aung San Suu Kyi, whom we admire and =
who has=20
in&shy;spired us."</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>Just as the Nato-backed Kosovo =
interven&shy;tion set a=20
precedent that alarmed the Burmese (and Chinese), so has the referendum =
and=20
in&shy;dependence for East Timor On the eve of the International Force =
for East=20
Timor mission, Burma's junta delivered a message of support forte =
Indonesians,=20
"We flully sympathize with our Indonesian brothers. Myanmar and =
Indo&shy;nesia=20
have always enjoyed a special relation&shy;ship dating back to the days =
of the=20
struggle for independence."</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>Burma has long modeled its regime after =
Suharto's=20
Indonesia, which utilized the military's principle ofdwiliingst or dual=20
func&shy;tion, to legitimate its involvement in politics. With the end =
of=20
Suharto's rule and the separa&shy;tion of East Timor; thejunta is=20
second-guess&shy;ing its model.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>The junta's statement of sympathy for =
In&shy;donesia is=20
born out of fear that they too may face the same international and =
domestic=20
pres&shy;sure to permit a referendum whose results, unlike Burma's 1990 =
eleaion,=20
will be enforced by UN troops.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>The Burmese government has also tried to =
distance=20
themselves from the Indonesian situation. "To try draw too much =
comparison=20
between the situations in two countries lacks relevancy," said one junta =

spokesperson.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>Also troubling for the Burmese govern&shy;ment =
is China's=20
contribution of a twenty-mem&shy;ber police force to be sent to East =
Timor. This=20
is a break with its past opposition to interfer&shy;ence in the internal =
affairs=20
of countries, which was based on its concern over Tibet and Taiwan's =
interests=20
in autonorny. Both Tibet and Taiwan have lobbied for international =
support for=20
their autonomy from China. The junta has counted on the Chinese to =
oppose=20
interfer&shy;ence in internal affairs of states, but no longer. One =
dissident=20
group, the National Council of the Union of Burma, issued a statement=20
com&shy;mending China's allotment of police to the East Timor effort as =
"a=20
positive development &shy;....... we view it as a remarkable shift in =
the=20
foreign policy of the People's Republic of China." However, East Timor =
is not a=20
strate&shy;gic interest ofthe Chinese whereas Burma, a neighbor; =
is.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>East Timor's future in Asean is uncertain. =
While Asean=20
members have supported its membership, East Timorese leader Jose Ramos =
Horta=20
sees his country as more attuned to the South Pacific Forum and supports =
East=20
Timor's role in Asean as that of an observer. It may even become a =
dialogue=20
partner.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>UNPO's covenant, to which East Timor is a =
signatory,=20
states that any nation becoming a member of the UN, which East Timor is =
moving=20
towards, has the moral duty to remain<BR>a supporting member of the=20
organization.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>East Timor is both an inspirational =
vic&shy;tory as well=20
as a new source of support for the Burmese democracy movement. For the =
Rangoon=20
junta, East Timor may prove to he more than a pebble in its shoe.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify><BR>Moe Gyo (pseudonym) is a member of the =
Irrawaddy's=20
editorial staff.</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Djustify>