AFP : Myanmar embassy gunmen deny t

Subject: AFP : Myanmar embassy gunmen deny terrorism charge

Myanmar embassy gunmen deny terrorism charge

   BANGKOK, Dec 2 (AFP) - Gunmen who stormed Myanmar's embassy here in
October have denied they are terrorists, styling themselves as fighters for
freedom
in their military-ruled homeland.
   In a handwritten statement obtained by AFP on Thursday, rebel leader Kyaw
Oo apologised to Thailand for staging the 25-hour siege but pleaded the group
needed to attract global publicity.
   "We are not terrorists and we will not go the way of terrorism," Kway Oo,
leader of the Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors (VBSW) said in the statement,
penned in broken English.
   "We do not want to break international law. However, we have to apologise
to the Thai authorities for our high operation in Bangkok," he wrote.
   The five gunmen were tracked down by reporters of the Thai Rath newspaper
in the southern Myanmar jungle adjacent to Thailand's Ratchaburi province.
   They were living in a group of huts along with around 200 militia fighters
of a group identified as "God's Army," the reporters said.
   God's Army is a religious splinter group from the ethnically-based Karen
National Union.
   The gunmen escaped to the area after Thailand provided them with a
helicopter to reach the border in a deal which led to the release of their 38
hostages and the end of the siege on October 2.
   Thailand's tactics enraged Myanmar's military rulers who closed its
borders with Thailand in protest, as relations between the two neighbours
soured
sharply.
   In the statement, Kyaw Oo said the VBSW was determined to overthrow
Myanmar's military government and promote democracy and human rights but
apologised for acting on Thai soil.
   "Hopefully, (the) Thai government, Thai people and international
(community) may forgive on our action."
   VBSW was formed in September by students, local people and youths
struggling for "peace and justice," the statement said.
   "Our main aims are to overthrow military government in Burma and to
achieve democracy and human rights."
   "We and God's army will continue to struggle for peace and justice in
Burma."
   Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, has demanded the group be treated as
terrorists by Thailand and has been adamant the men were sheltering on Thai
soil.
   Thailand has promised to try them if they are found in the country.
   The statement claimed Thai authorities had contacted the gunmen several
times asking them to surrender. It also accused Myanmar troops of arresting
100 villagers near the headquarters of "God's Army."
   It promised both groups would fight to the death as they believed
"Democracy for Burma" was not far away. The statement ended with the words
"Brave will never die."
   The Thai/Myanmar border was only reopened last week after Thai Foreign
Minister Surin Pitsuwan visited Yangon. Myanmar has also pledged to look
again at the cancellation of licences for Thai fishermen.
   The border closure had also complicated Thailand's attempt to deport
hundreds of thousands of illegal workers, mostly from Myanmar.
   Human rights groups slammed the crackdown amid reports Myanmar troops had
raped some deportees and threatened to shoot others.
   ask-col/gw/jd