REPOSTING : "Give us A Chance"

SOURCE: Myanmar Information - http://www.myanmar.com/

AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS
Leaders Magazie, Volume 21, Number 2, April, May, June 1998

"Give us A Chance"

The present leaders of Myanmar are men of few words "Deeds and not
words" is their motto. They are not men who care to woo the
press/media to suit their  own ends nor would they permit themselves
to be manipulated by members of the media, who in most cases with an
eye on circulation or ratings, usually prevaricate, exaggerate or
denigrate. But, the Myanmar leaders do speak on rare occasions, and
when they do, they are found to be forthright and genuine      men who
care deeply about the country and the people. The first exc.usive
interview Senior General Than Shwe has ever had with the foreign media
was given full coverage in the Leaders Magazie, Volume 21, Number 2,
April, May, June 1998. In this first conversation of the Chairman of
the State Peace and  Development Council H.E. Senior General Than Shwe
with a member of the foreign press, he explained exactly what was
taking place in the country and also put the record straight on his
attitude towards the West.

When Senior General Than Shwe was asked why he had decided to speak
now he said simply and honestly that:

"In our previous experiences with people from the media, whatever we
said was usually misinterpreted, and sometimes misinterpretation can
give rise to  misunderstanding. I wanted to clarify these
misunderstandings. But I personally live a very quiet life, so I don?t
push myself to talk to the press."

When asked to clatify for the benefit of those in the West who seem
to be anti-Myanmar, why he thought that it was necessary to have
security in the nation before democracy and why he subscribed to the
view that you can?t have people voting if the votes are not honestly
counted, Senior General Than Shwe said:

"As you are aware, we are vigorously engaged in the national
reconstruction of the country. We are working for the development and
peace of our nation. At  the same time, we are trying to place our
country on the path of democracy, and to build a democratic system.
So, first we have to establish conditions of peace and tranquility,
and law and order. At the same time as we are trying to establish
political stability however, we must also build up the economic
foundation of our nation. So we?re definitely trying to do both."

He then added:

"Of course we believe it?s not natural for the armed forces to assume
responsibility for the state for a very long time, but you must
realize that because of the  particular circumstances and conditions
in our country, the armed forces have to assume responsibility for a
certain period of time."

To the question of whether U.S. sanctions which have hurt business
investment in Myanmar and the adverse effect of the influence it was
using on the  European nations, was driving Myanmar more toward China,
Senior General Than Shwe replied at some length that:

"It?s true, the United States has instituted sanctions against our
nation. But because we have developed a vibrant border trade with our
neighboring countries of India, China, and Thailand, and because of
the assistance and support from other countries in the region, the
impact of the sanctions is not so great."

"Whether the result of these sanctions has an effect on our
relationship with other countries, I want to say that Myanmar has
always tried to maintain friendly  ties with all countries in the
world. We have been consistent in this policy throughout our history.
So, in spite of any sanctions the Unied States has against us,   we
bear no hostility and no antagonism toward the United States."

When again asked if that wasn?t driving Myanmar closer to China, he
replied:

"No, I wouldn?t say that U.S. sanctions are pushing us toward China.
We want to continue to maintain good, cordial relations with all
countries."

"Our country has a lot of natural resources, and we are able to
utilize them very well to develop our nation?s economy. In addition,
the countries in our region cooperate well with us, which also helps
in our economic development. Of course! if we get assistance from
countries abroad, it will help us develop our  nation even more!
Having international assistance and support will greatly facilitate
our economic and political endeavors and will also help us build a
democratic system more quickly by facilitating the handing of state
power back to the people."

"My genuine desire is to see our country develop and prosper, and to
see the emergence of a democratic system. It is toward this end that
we are putting our  best efforts. I believe that if instead of
imposing economic sanctions on our country the world community would
help us, we could reach this goal within three  years."

With regard to questions raised by the West on the completion of the
constitution and when free elections would be held, Senior General
Than Shwe had this  to say:

"Let me say that we have no intention of prolonging the process
unnecessarily. If we receive international assistance and support, the
process of establishing a  democratic system in our country will be
sped up. But if there is a hostile attitude from other countries, the
process of democratization could be prolonged.
However, we on our part, have no intention whatsoever to unnecessarily
prolong this process."

Concerning the unofficial view of the American Government that the
constitution would be written and elections held only at a time the
military can win  elections, he calmly replied:

"Well, you know, the people will elect whom they like."

Asked whether he would consider a high-level visit to the United
States and Europe to discuss the World Bank, the sanctions and to
convince those involved  that the sanctions were hurting the people
and not the Government which would still continue to pursue its
present course and hold constitutional elections only  when the time
was right, he answered that there were visa constraints, but on
suggestion that a visa would be no problem if he should travel to
address the United Nations, as Head of Government he replied that:

"If there is such an oportunity, of course."

The interviewer dealt with the fact that Myanmar situated between
India and China, could offer the United States a strategic position.
And then asked if it  would not be in the interest of both countries
if discussions with the United States could be held along these lines.
The Senior General fielded this query with the remark that:

"It is something to think about. Because of the geographical and
geopolitical fate of being located between India and China, two very
big neighbors, we try to maintain good relations with both those
countries. It would not help us if either China or India had
unfavorable views toward us. We believe that if there were  a change
of mind in the United States, we could develop cordial relations
there, too."

Touching upon the econom,y Senior General Than Shwe was next asked if
Myanmar would welcome investments by a big multinational company as
was now  the practice in developing countries, to come into the
country to build a major project such as a power plant. The reply was:

"One thing we chose to do after assuming the responsibility of running
the governement was to introduce an economic policy, and we invited
foreign investment from abroad. Toward this end, we have set up
necessary rules and procedures. We have our own regulations and laws
for the kinds of investments you describe."

When he was asked in which areas he would prefer to have such
investments Senior General Than Shwe said:

"One sector that comes to mind is hydroelectricity, because, as you
know, we have resources for 3,000 , 5,000, or even 10,000 megawatts.
Another  potential area is offshore drilling, because we have a lot of
natural gas resources. There are already companies interested in this
area."

When asked if there was still room for competition in this area since
Texaco, Arco and Unocal were already in business, the Senior General
replying in the  affirmative said.

"Yes. These companies are working with us on a joint venture, but we
believe there is much more potential to be tapped in downstream
industries, such as  gas, fertilizers, and methanol."

On his vision for Myanmar in the coming century and the priorities for
future nation building Senior General Than Shwe unequivocally stated:

"Our vision is to establish a peaceful, prosperous, modern,
democratic, and developed state, utilizing the natural resources
available in our country. We are also a member of the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and are trying to fulfill the vision
set out for all ASEAN countries in what is called a  "Vision 2020"
statement."

To the question as to which ASEAN country best understood Myanmar the
reply was:

"Since we have been able to develop very close contacts with the
leaders of all the ASEAN countries, I would say all of them have a
good understanding of and very good relations with our country."

As regards the Myanmar leader?sfeelings towards the United States,
Senior General Than Shwe?s reply reflected his devotion to and
practice of the tenets of  the Buddha?s teachings. He said:

"Let me again reiterate that we have no ill feelings whatsoever toward
the United States. As you know, I am a soldier, but at the same time,
I am also a Buddhist. I faithfully try to follow the Buddhist
teaching, which says one should not entertain antagonistic or hostile
feelings toward other human beings. So, even though I am a soldier,
and even though I have to do certain things for the maintenance of
peace and stability and for the welfare and security of the
country, I don?t have hostile or antagonistic feelings toward others.
Although the United States may have some ill feelings toward us, we
have no ill feelings toward the United States."

Finally, when asked by the interviewer how he could be so quiet and
calm, the Senior General said:

"Actually, you know, I try to be calm and serene. Even now I am
thinking that when I retire, I will devote myself to religion. I don't
have any worldly desires; I  just want to live a quiet and peaceful
life. What I am doing now is because I love my country."

His reply was indeed convincing in its very simplicity and showed the
depth of his feelings for the country and his people.

Mg Myanmar
A Myanmar citizen who loves Myanmar