Statement upon the long-term closur

Subject: Statement upon the long-term closure of Universities and  Colleges in Burma.

--=====================_3376661==_.ALT

Statement upon the long-term closure of Universities and Colleges in Burma

1.      We, All Burma Federation of Student Unions, clearly express the fact
that universities and colleges have been open for a total of only 30 months
since the military regime coup d'etat in 1988, until 1996. The students were
forced to graduate in shortened periods, after only 3 months coursework; then
the schools were closed for 4 months.  This cycle has continued sporadically
since 1988. In 1996, the military regime shut down most universities and
colleges. In Aug 1998, the regime opened the universities to students, then
after only 1 month forced them to sit for their final exams - abruptly
concluding one academic year.  Over 400,000 students who have graduated high
school since the 1996-97 academic year are still waiting to join the
universities and colleges.
2.      At the same time, the regime has set up and been running a military
medical institute, a military technical institute and a military computer
university. Although the diploma course, the international training course and
the international technique course are operating inside Burma, the ordinary
civilian students are not able to attend due to high tuition costs.
3.      So, because of this situation, many students do not have access to an
education and it stands as a grave danger to the future of Burma. Because the
student can not study, most students and youths are forced to work whatever
jobs are available. Some are despondent regarding their lives within Burma and
many have become mentally degenerated.  Moreover, because of the difficulties
of their survival, students have been seeking to study abroad and in
neighboring countries; both through legal and illegal ways.
4.      We believe that all the conditions regarding the educational crisis and
the Burmese students is of utmost importance for the ruling military
government, as well as all the nationalities within Burma.  Every Burmese
person has the duty to work together to solve the current educational impasse.
We must continue the struggle to create an environment where the universities
can function equally and the students can secure their rights.
5.      We, All Burma Federation of Student Unions, earnestly call upon all the
nationalities within Burma - including teachers, professors, academicians,
education workers, monks and respective persons - in order to pressure the
military government to open all the universities equally. We would also like to
request international student organizations, governments and civic groups to
support and work to open all the universities equally in Burma, with sympathy
for the Burmese students.

Foreign Affairs Committee
All Burma Federation of Student Unions.
25 Nov 1999.

For more info, please contact to 66-55-543 001

--=====================_3376661==_.ALT

<b><div align="center">
Statement upon the long-term closure of Universities and Colleges in
Burma<br>
1.<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab></font>We, All Burma
Federation of Student Unions, clearly express the fact that universities
and colleges have been open for a total of only 30 months since the
military regime coup d'etat in 1988, until 1996. The students were forced
to graduate in shortened periods, after only 3 months coursework; then
the schools were closed for 4 months.&nbsp; This cycle has continued
sporadically since 1988. In 1996, the military regime shut down most
universities and colleges. In Aug 1998, the regime opened the
universities to students, then after only 1 month forced them to sit for
their final exams - abruptly concluding one academic year.&nbsp; Over
400,000 students who have graduated high school since the 1996-97
academic year are still waiting to join the universities and colleges.
the same time, the regime has set up and been running a military medical
institute, a military technical institute and a military computer
university. Although the diploma course, the international training
course and the international technique course are operating inside Burma,
the ordinary civilian students are not able to attend due to high tuition
costs.<br>
because of this situation, many students do not have access to an
education and it stands as a grave danger to the future of Burma. Because
the student can not study, most students and youths are forced to work
whatever jobs are available. Some are despondent regarding their lives
within Burma and many have become mentally degenerated.&nbsp; Moreover,
because of the difficulties of their survival, students have been seeking
to study abroad and in neighboring countries; both through legal and
illegal ways.<br>
believe that all the conditions regarding the educational crisis and the
Burmese students is of utmost importance for the ruling military
government, as well as all the nationalities within Burma.&nbsp; Every
Burmese person has the duty to work together to solve the current
educational impasse.&nbsp; We must continue the struggle to create an
environment where the universities can function equally and the students
can secure their rights.<br>
All Burma Federation of Student Unions, earnestly call upon all the
nationalities within Burma - including teachers, professors,
academicians, education workers, monks and respective persons - in order
to pressure the military government to open all the universities equally.
We would also like to request international student organizations,
governments and civic groups to support and work to open all the
universities equally in Burma, with sympathy for the Burmese
students.<br>
<b>Foreign Affairs Committee<br>
All Burma Federation of Student Unions.<br>
25 Nov 1999. <br>
For more info, please contact to 66-55-543 001<br>
</b></html>