NLD Statement 169 (11/99) translate

Subject: NLD Statement 169 (11/99) translated

NLD Statement 169 (11/99)

1.  The SPDC has required householders in every village to participate
in the project for industrialization of agricultural lands in the
Indawgyi region, Mohnyin township of the Kachin State. Every citizen
including those in public service is forced to give their labour.

2.  In addition to the residents of 20 villages situated on the eastern and
western banks of Indawgyi, elephants, buffaloes, and cows are used to clear
the vegetation. In the process, two elephants and 14 cows and buffaloes have
died through injury. Claims for compensation of the losses have been made
but though the authorities agreed to place the matter at the State level,
nothing has resulted to date.

3.  No medical attention is given to these people of the region who have
been forced to give their labour.  Two persons from Mogoung township viz.
Maung Soe and Maung Naing have died as a result.  The authorities have acted
indifferently about this matter.

4. We denounce such lack of compassion for one's fellowmen in the Kachin
State.  We adamantly urge the authorities to make reparations for loss of
life and property suffered by the citizens.

5. We have received information that an order has been issued to all
cultivators and village headmen for all banana trees to be cut down by
16/11/99 in the following villages and quarters in Ta-da-oo township of
Mandalay Division:-
Aye-kyi-gone, Po-lin-htoung, Wun-pa-te, The-maung-kan, Zaga-in, Pin-ya,
Ma-gyi-taw, Mwa-kyaw-da, Zegyo, Ba-le, Oak-kyut-pho, Wei-hto-kan,
Hanthawaddy, Oo-te, and Nos.1,2, and 3 wards.

In accordance with orders from divisional authorities, Kyaukse district
authorities headed by the Township chairman himself went and carried out the
chopping down of these trees and the owners were forced to pay five kyats
per tree as costs.

6. The reason given for cutting down these trees is that the cultivation was
not on classified garden land.  To our knowledge, these cultivators have
planted banana trees in areas close to water supply from creeks and rivers
to supplement their meager incomes.  This high handed action without
consultation with the cultivators is intolerable and firmly denounced.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy
Rangoon