AFP : (VBSW) gunmen say back Aung S

Subject: AFP : (VBSW) gunmen say back Aung San Suu Kyi

Myanmar dissident gunmen say back Aung San Suu Kyi

   BANGKOK, Dec 10 (AFP) - An armed group that stormed Myanmar's embassy in
Bangkok said Friday they supported opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi,
denying reports they were against her.
   "We support Daw (eds: honorific) Aung San Suu Kyi's non-violent way to
democracy, and her leading role in the Burmese democracy movement," the
statement received here said.
   "We regard anyone fighting for democracy as our ally, and we will always
support people fighting for democracy, including Daw Aung San Suu Kyi," it
said.
   Five pro-democracy dissidents held 38 people hostage at the Myanmar
embassy for more than 24 hours on October 1 before exchanging them for a
helicopter
and fleeing to the Thai-Myanmar border.
   Earlier reports quoted the leader of the Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors
(VBSW), who goes by the name Johnny, as saying the armed group was frustrated
with the Myanmar opposition leader and and Nobel peace prize winner and would
fight her if she ever came to power.
   Myanmar's military rulers meanwhile Friday denied the gunmen were on its
soil and called for Thai authorities to arrest them.
   In recent weeks local newspapers have published photographs and interviews
with the VBSW, stating that they are hiding out in the jungles of eastern
Myanmar with a splinter group of Karen rebels.
   "Since they are not inside Myanmar territory they are out of our
jurisdiction," said a junta statement received here by AFP.
   "We hope and expect that the competent Thai authorities will take
necessary legal action against those who had committed international
terrorism," it
said. Thailand has promised to try the gunmen if they are found in the
country.
   de/agr/

Thin Myat Thu (Thida)                                  Tel: + 47 22 414143
WEB Editor                                             Fax: + 47 22 413929
Democratic Voice of Burma                     http://www.communique.no/dvb/