Information Sheet No.B-1180(I)

MYANMAR INFORMATION COMMITTEE
YANGON

Information  Sheet
No.B-1180(I)                    12th December 1999

(1) Trust Fund Set Up for Poor and Needy Patients of Yangon East Hospital

    A ceremony to set up a trust fund for poor and needy
patients receiving medical treatment at Yangon East
Hospital was held in the meeting hall of the hospital
in Botahtaung Township on 11 December. Altogether 38
well-wishers set up a trust fund amounting to over K
7.7 million for poor and needy patients who are
receiving  medical treatment at Yangon East Hospital
Medical Superintendent of Yangon  East Hospital Dr.
Kyi  Thein thanked the well-wishers.

(2) Myanmar Canoe Team Wins all 12 Gold Medals

    The 1st South-East Asian Canoe Championship, 1999,
continued for the second day at Myanmar Rowing and
Canoeing Federation, Inya Lake on 11 December. In the
second-day matches, Phone Myint Teza of Myanmar won
the first  prize, Indonesia the second  prize  and
Thailand the third prize in men's 500-metre single
kayak event. In women's  500-metre quadruple kayak
event, Khin Mar Oo, Naw Hsay Lar, Than Than Oo and Yin
Yin Su of Myanmar won the first prize, Thailand the
second prize and Singapore the third prize. In men's
500-metre single canoe event, Zaw Win Aung of Myanmar
won the  first  prize, Thailand the second prize and
Vietnam the third prize.
        In men's 500-metre single kayak event, Than
Tun of Myanmar won the first prize, Malaysia the
second  prize and Vietnam the third prize. In women's
500-metre single  kayak event,  Khin Mar Oo of Myanmar
won the first prize, the Philippines the second  prize
and Thailand the third prize. In men's 500-metre
double canoe event, Aung Linn and Mya San of Myanmar
won the first  prize, the Philippines the second
prize and Thailand the third  prize. It women's
500-metre single touring kayak event,  Naw Har Lar of
Myanmar won  the first prize, Singapore  the second
prize and Malaysia the third prize. In men's 500-metre
double kayak event, Khin Maung Myint and Kan Shwe of
Myanmar won the first prize, Indonesia the second
prize and Malaysia the third  prize. In women's
500-metre double kayak  event, Naw Hsay Lar and Than
Than Oo of Myanmar won the first prize, the
Philippines second and Vietnam third.
      In men's 500-metre double touring canoe, Aung
Kyaw Moe and Than Tun of Myanmar won the first prize,
Singapore second and Vietnam third. In women's 500-
metre double touring kayak,, Khin Mar Thin and Nilar
Win  of Myanmar won the first prize,  the Philippines
second and Vietnam third. In men's 500- metre
quadruple kayak, Khin Maung Myint, Myat Khaing, Phone
Myint Teza and Soe Myint Than of Myanmar won the first
 prize, Thailand second and Malaysia third. After the
matches Chairman of Myanmar Olympic Committee Minister
 for Sports  and officials presented prizes to the
winners. The competition continues  on 12 December.

(3) Symposium on HIV/AIDS Past, Present and Future

    Symposium on HIV/ AIDS  Past,  Present and Future
took place at the Myanmar  Medical Association in
Mingala Taungnyunt  as a gesture hailing the golden
Jubilee of MMA.  Professors and doctors lectured on
various toipcs on HIV and AIDS . Also  present  on the
occasion were executives of MMA, doctors and
observers.

(4) AWB Opens New Branch in Dagon Myothit (South) Township

    Asia Wealth Bank(AWB) Ltd. opened its  Dagon Myothit
(South) Branch on 11 December. Minister for Finance &
Revenue made a speech on the occasion, saying AWB had
opened 34 branches including the present one, and AWB
is a bank rendering  financial services to the people
with modern banking system. Extending bank branches in
new towns will ensure smooth running of financial
matters of  entrepreneurs in the regions concerned, he
said  and urged private banks to provide cash
assistance for agricultural works being given
encouragement by the State and to strive for success
in realising the objectives of Myanmar Banks
Association. AWB is opening bank branches throughout
the country. Those wishing  to expand  their
businesses may contact AWB for financial and technical
assistance. Public savings at AWB amounted to about K
90 billion and the bank has disbursed over K 40
billions as loans to trading services and industries.

Special Feature

        This office is presenting one of the article entile "Shoulder To
Shoulder"  written by Ei Moe Khine from the TODAY Magazine ( Volume 7
November  1999) for your reading pleasure.

Shoulder To Shoulder

        In the Union of Myanmar, it is a familiar sight to
see women taking up all sorts of work and business. It
is noticeable that Myanmar women are as free as
European women. One thing which looks a drawback is
that women are for bidden to go up the pagoda terraces
or to enter the sacred part of a pagoda or a temple.
We have some examples like the Shwe Myintzu Pagoda of
Indawgyi Lake and the Kyaikkhami Pagoda of the Mon
State. Women are not allowed to step on the marble
plinth of Shwe Myintzu Pagoda of , in which  some
relics of the Buddha are enshrined. At the Kyaikkhami
Pagoda near Mawlamyine, the rock mass under the
Buddha's relics, so women cannot enter the chamber.
This prohibition, from the Myanmar women's point of
view, is not discrimination. However, questions on
this point arise from foreign ladies who visit our country.

    From a social aspect, there has been no suppression
on women all along in Myanmar history. Myanmar
Buddhist Law, based on Myanmar traditions, customs and
culture, provides Myanmar Buddhist women with the same
equal rights as men. The 1954 Buddhist Women's Special
Marriage and Succession Act has been promulgated for
protection of Myanmar Buddhist women who marry
foreigners, or men who profess religions other than Buddhism.

    The State protects all Myanmar women and gives them
rights by personal law, customary law and the Penal
Code. The 1974 constitution includes the status of
Myanmar women and the rights vested in them. Its
Article 22 states that " all citizens shall be equal
before the law, regardless of race, religion, status
or sex." Article 154 states that women shall enjoy
freedom of rights guaranteed by law as regarding
marriage, divorce, partition of property, succession
custody of children. By law, the wife is absolute
mistress of her own property and person. Both the
husband's name and the wife's are frequently used in
business and legal proceedings.

    At one time on Kyaikhtiyo Hill, I had to tell a
foreign lady that women are not allowed to cross over
the small bridge to the golden boulder topped by the
small stupa. At that, the lady's husband grinned, put
up his thumb, and said, "See? Men are greater." He
said it teasingly, but I couldn't help a bit of
retort. I said, "That's not true. Women here share the
same social and legal rights equally with men." Then,
the gentleman laughed good-humouredly.

    I faced a similar encounter when I accompanied some
Westerners to the Inle Phaung-daw Oo Pagoda. Women are
not allowed to enter the close quarters of the five
Buddha images. The foreign ladies asked me why it was
so. When I replied carelessly, "It's because we are
the weaker sex", the ladies exclaimed, "Weaker sex!,
wide-eyed. So there! I had to say some comforting
words to them. I said, " Now, now. Please don't fell
dejected. We can venerate it from a close distance, as
it is only a small surrounding, to our satisfaction. I
understand how I would fell if I were in your shoes.
Women are referred to as the weaker sex, only because
of their femininity. They are not regarded as inferior
to men. Women have to undergo natural suffering like
menstruation, pregnancy, and giving birth. That is why
it is considered not proper for women to climb up, or
tread on some places where Buddha's relics are
enshrined." On hearing this, the ladies looked
convinced but they asked, "What happens if some women
disobey? I replied , "Well, I haven't seen it with own
eyes but I have learnt about sudden occurrence of
storms, earthquakes, and disasters when women go
there." After I had said that, a tall blonde asked,
"what if there were no men at all?" " I replied
calmly," then our human world will come to an end."
All the ladies laughed, for they sensed the humour in my reply.

    "Right now, I will show you an example that indicates
the equal status of men and women." Saying so, I
pointed out to the joined names of husband and wife-
as donors-inscribed on a part of the pagoda wall.
"Myanmar women have their own names and keep them
after marriage. They have enjoyed the same rights as
men since the days of the monarchs. So, we need not
fell depressed, as we have every right to prove our
abilities, shoulder to shoulder with men. In some
cases, we even excel them, don't we?" I concluded,
Judging by the ladies' look on their faces, they were consoled.

    At present, our State Government is making efforts to
promote the development of Myanmar women by laying
down effective programmes. The Myanmar National
Committee for Women's Affairs (MNCWA) was formed on
3rd July 1996 to carry out activities for the
advancement of women. The Myanmar National Working
Committee for Women's Affairs (MNWCWA) was formed on
9th October 1996 to implement the plan of action for
women's Affairs.

    The Myanmar Women Entrepreneurs Association (MWEA),
formed in 1995, is a non governmental organization to
enhance the role of Myanmar women. The Myanmar Women
Sports Federation (MWSF) was formed in 1991 to promote
the participation of Myanmar women in sports. The
Maternal and child Welfare Association (MCWA) was
formed in 1991 to promote the health and well-being of
mothers and children. There are also women's
cooperatives and religious associations striving to
promote the status of Myanmar women.

    Today's Myanmar women have important roles in
domestic, productive and community activities. Human
resources include a large number of skilled women in
agriculture and industry. Women in both government
service and private establishments occupy all levels
to highest management positions.

    Myanmar women, as mothers, work in directly for the
development of the nation. A mother's major role is to
provide a happy family life. The development of the
family contributes towards the development of the
State. There is no denying that Myanmar women
constitute a good portion of the working force in the
building of modern, developed nation.

Ref; "Women: Active Participants in Nation Building" by Daw Khin Aye Win,
(Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Yangon.