Perpetuating Myanmar cultural herit

Subject: Perpetuating Myanmar cultural heritage

The New Light Of Myanmar
Tuesday, December 14, 1999

Perpetuating Myanmar cultural heritage

There has been so much furor in the western media's long-reach network
arising out of Myanmar's name change, when the Anglicized name, 'Burma',
imposed by the British colonialists after the annexation in 1886, was dropped
in favour of the historically correct 'Myanmar'.

In fact, the earliest mention of Myanmar as the name of the people and the
nation could be found in the dedicatory stone inscriptions dating back to the
9ffi century and the following Bagan Golden Age. The fact that this nation is
known to the Kachins and Shans as 'Myen' and 'Man', and to the Chinese as
'Mien' is a vital point of affirmation. The name 'Myanmar' portrays a
national race possessing acuteness of mind, national pride; relentless effort
and diligence. The term 'Myanmar', in addition to being the original home
grown, formal name of a proud nation for centuries, has the advantage of
becoming a common denominator for a union of eight national races, viz:
Kachin, Kayah, Kayin, Chin, Bama, Mon, Rakhine, Shan and other national races
totalling 135, with linguistic diversity, intrinsic culture, customs and
traditions. History had recorded unity and harmony among Myanmar national
races.

Myanmar can still proclaim with unique pride as the repository of priceless
heritage to literature, art and architecture, painting, culture, fine arts
and craftsmanship. Thousands of pagodas, built within an area of 42 square
kilometres during the Golden Age of Bagan over 1000 years ago still stand
today as enduring witness to our ancestral grandeur. Mandalay, seat of the
last reigning Myanmar king, is still acknowledged as the centre of Myanmar
art, culture and learning.

This invaluable Myanmar culture was perniciously degraded by the British
colonialists, who for more than a hundred years of their domination, had
superimposed alien culture on our national purity. Only with the regaining of
independence could we re-invigorate and sustain our time-honoured values.

Verily, more than a century of colonial rule and half a century of internal
unrest caused by dissident elements, compounded by the infiltration of
decadent alien culture had eroded our magnificent cultural fabric. The
younger generations, highly susceptible to the demonstration effects,
succumbed to its malevolent influence.

Such insidious epidemic especially among the rising youth had motivated State
Peace and Development Council to revitalize Myanmar's illustrious cultural
heritage, to instill national pride, forge unity as we]l as strive for
perpetuation of intrinsic moral and cultural values.

The royal regatta, reminiscent of past regal grandeur, the performing arts
competitions, the presentation of yearly literary awards are some of the
visible manifestations of the dedicated mission.

It will be utterly wrong to slander the restitution of our national
solidarity and patriotic legacy as 'Myanma-fication'. It is only with myopic
intent to distort the true course of history. Thus the label 'Cultural
Revolution' is a total misrepresentation, as there's no such one, and surely
no need for such a one.

Myanmar's history of a thousand years faithfully recorded in the Glass Palace
Chronicle and other authentic writings by native and foreign historians had
witnessed Myanmars unified under strong kings into a consolidated empire for
three times: the first Myanmar Empire under King Anawrahta (1044-1077) the
Second Myanmar Empire under King Bayint Naung (1551-1581) and the Third
Myanmar Empire under King Alaung Phaya (1752-1760). The fourth unification
resulted with the Panlong Agreement in 1947, leading towards total
independence from the British rule in 1948.

In the Independence Declaration, the nation was proclaimed to world as
'Pyidaungsu Myanmar Naing Ngan Daw (The Union of Myanmar).

The "Burma" created by the British was definitely a misnomer.

Author : Ba Than