Blair praises Gurkhas (r)

<bold><underline>The Truth

</underline></bold>The British Gurkhas and Thai troops are restoring
peace in war torn countries, like Gurkhas in Kosovo and Thais in East
Timor.  Their peace making process make their country proud and the
soldires understand the value of peace and human lives.  Also they get
some knowledge back from the foreign countries.  In the host country
people look at them as peace makers.  These soldiers gained respect from
the local people and they are proud of themselves.

But in Burma, military leaders expands the army from 300,000 to 400,000
to oppress its own people.  The Burmese soldiers have no rights to show
the world that they also want peace and willing to help people because
their leaders are afraid of sending them to another country as peace
makers.  Why?  because they do not want the Burmese soldiers to know that
restoring peace and helping unarmed civilians are nobel causes, but
killing and torturing innocent people are not accepted by international
norms and it is a crime against humanity.  The Burmese generals do not
want their soldiers to learn about other countries which suffered ethnic
cleansing because Burmese soldiers are doing it in their own country
conducted by its leaders.

Htun Aung Gyaw

At 01:04 AM 12/29/99 +0900, koko wrote:

>Friday, 24 December, 1999, 07:01 GMT

>Blair praises Gurkhas

>       Gurkha soldiers on patrol inside Kosovo

>The prime minister has praised Britain's Gurkhas, saying the decision to
double their pensions was to give them and their families "a better
future".

>His comments came after the announcement that the British Army was set
to double pension allowances for the Gurkhas from April 2000.

>      Few fighting forces are more respected for their courage, grit and
sheer professionalism than the British Gurkhas

>      Tony Blair

>The Ministry of Defence said a review of pension arrangements for
Gurkhas recruited into the army from Nepal had recommended a minimum 100%
increase.

>Writing in The Mirror newspaper, Tony Blair said: "Few fighting forces
are more respected for their courage, grit and sheer professionalism than
the British Gurkhas.

>"The men who served alongside them during the Second World War in Burma
can testify to that. And more recently the Gurkhas have played a leading
role in restoring peace and stability not only to Kosovo but also to East
Timor."

>An increase in the allowances for the much feared fighting force had
been long forecast.

>Armed Forces Minister John Spellar said: "We are doubling the pensions
for all retired Gurkhas. For some of the older retired Gurkhas, the
increases will be even higher.

>Easing inequality

>"Nepalese Gurkhas have been part of the British Army for nearly 200
years. They are proud to serve with us, and we are proud to have them.