The New Light of Myanamr ( Sunday,

Subject: The New Light of Myanamr ( Sunday, January 9, 2000 )

The New Light of Myanamr ( Sunday, January 9, 2000 )
1. Foreign Heads of State and Government send felicitations to-Senior General
Than Shwe
2. Efforts for developing and flourishing of traditional medicine gaining
momentum Yangon Traditional Medicine Hospital (50-bed) opened
3. Secretary l attends ceremonies to conclude 11th Pahtan recitation at
Khaymayama Nunnery Sarthintaik
4. No 2 BEHS in Thanlyin gets multimedia teaching centre
5. Minister inspects gem mining blocks in Monehsu Gems Land
6. Minister looks into development in Kyaukpadaung
7. Child of debtor taken hostage
8. 30 Kyunsu NLD members resign of their own accord
_________________

1. Foreign Heads of State and Government send felicitations to-Senior General
Than Shwe

The following are messages of felicitations from Foreign Heads of State and
Government sent to Senior General Than
Shwe, Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council and Prime Minister
of the Union of Myanmar, on the occasion
of the 52nd Anniversary Independence Day of the Union of Myanmar.

>From His Majesty, Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of
Brunei Darussalam:

Your Excellency,

On my own behalf and on behalf of the Government and people of Brunei
Darussalam, it gives me grate pleasure to present to Your Excellency, the
Government and people of the Union of Myanmar, my warmest congratulations on
the auspicious occasion of the Independence Day of the Union of Myanmar.

I am very pleased to note that the relations between our two countries have
continued to develop from strength to strength. I wish that this will be
maintained and further enhanced in the future for the mutual benefits of our
two countries and peoples;

Finally, I send Your Excellency my personal best wishes for your continued
good health and happiness as well as for the continued progress and
prosperity of the people of the Union of Myanmar.

>From His Excellency Mr Aleksander Kwasniewski, dent of the Republic of Poland:

On the occasion of the National Day of the Union of Myanmar I have the honour
to convey personally to Your Excellency my congratulations and best wishes
for the people of Myanmar.

I hope that the coming year will bring further comprehensive development of
your country and well-being to its people.

>From His Excellency Mr Petar Stoyanov, President of the Republic of Bulgaria:

On the occasion of the National Day of the Union of Myanmar-Independence Day,
please accept on behalf of the Bulgarian people and on my own behalf, sincere
greetings and wishes for well-being and progress of the people of Myanmar.

2. Efforts for developing and flourishing of traditional medicine gaining
momentum Yangon Traditional Medicine Hospital (50-bed) opened

YANGON, 8 Jan - A ceremony to open Yangon Traditional Medicine Hospital
(50-bed) of.the Department of Traditional Medicine of the Ministry of Health
was held at the hospital on Ngahtatgyi Pagoda Road in Bahan Township this
morning, addressed by Secretary-1 of the State Peace and Development Council
Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt.

Minister for Health Maj-Gen Ket Sein formally opened the hospital.

Then, the Secretary-1 formally unveiled; the stone plaque of the hospital.
Director-General of the Department of Traditional Medicine Professor Dr Kyaw
Myint Tun presented a commemorative pennant to the Secretary-1.

After the ceremony, the Secretary-1 and party inspected the hospital.

The main building A of the hospital is 96 feet long and 40 feet wide and the
building B, 160 feet long and 40 feet wide, and they are two-storey
reinforced concrete buildings.
____________________________________

3. Secretary l attends ceremonies to conclude 11th Pahtan recitation at
Khaymayama Nunnery Sarthintaik

YANGON, 8 Jan - Ceremonies to conclude 11th Pahtan recitation and
Theragu-napuja Thabin and to offer nun-robes were held at Khaymayama Nunnery
Sarthintaik on Aung Chan Tha Ward 1 in Thanlyin Township, Yangon Division, at
9.30 am today, attended by Secretary-l of the State Peace and Development
Council; Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt.

Then, Secretary- 1 Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt and party received the Five Precepts
from Bhaddanta Sirindabhivamsa.
Afterwards, members of the Sangha recited the parittas.

The Secretary-1 and party presented offertories to the members of the Sangha.
Then, Secretary-l Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt presented 120 sets of nun-robes to Daw
Sanda Marlar for the Nunnery.

Secretary-1 Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt accepted the donations.

Secretary Sayadaw of State Sangha Maha Nayaka Committee Abhidhaja Maha Rattha
Guru Abhidhaja Agga Maha Saddhamma Jotika Bhaddanta Kumara delivered a
sermon, followed by sharing of merits.

After the ceremony, officials offered ?soon? to members of the Sangha.
____________________________________

4. No 2 BEHS in Thanlyin gets multimedia teaching centre

YANGON, 8 Jan - A ceremony to open a multimedia teaching centre was held at
No 2 Basic Education High School in Thanlyin Township this morning, attended
by Chairman of Myanmar Education Committee Secretary-1 of the State Peace and
Development Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt.

The Secretary-l formally unveiled the signboard of the multimedia teaching
centre.

The Secretary-l and party observed skill demonstration of students at
listening section, demonstrative media section, reading section, moral
section, domestic science and painting rooms and art studio.

Headmistress Daw Than Than Chit reported on opening of multimedia teaching
centre at the school for all-round development of students and teaching of
subjects of international standard according to education promotion
programmes, rooms included at the teaching centre and benefits.

Chairman of School Board of trustees U Tin Shein reported on leadership of
District and Township Peace and Development Councils for all-round
development of students and the opening of multimedia teaching centre and
cooperation of the well-wishers.

The Secretary-l presented K 500,000 donated by Myanmar Education Committee
for No 2 BEHS in Thanlyin to Minister for Education U Than Aung.

The Secretary-l and Minister U Than Aung accepted K 50,000 donated by Yangon
Division Peace and Development Council, K 1.5 million by U Sein Lwin-Daw Phyu
Phyu Khaing (SL Group), K 500,000 by Myanmar International Thilawa Terminal
and K 755,000 by other well-wishers.

The Secretary-1 then signed in the record book.
Next, the Secretary-l, members of school board of trustees, members of PTA,
the Headmistress, teachers and students had souvenir photo taken.
_________________________________

5. Minister inspects gem mining blocks in Monehsu Gems Land

YANGON, 8 Jan - Minister for Mines Brig-Gen Ohn Myint, accompanied by
officials, arrived at Loihsaukhtauk area in Mongshu Gems Land on 6 January.
The minister inspected gems mining blocks there.

Meeting private entrepreneurs there, the minister told them to abide be
Myanma Gems laws, and orders issued by the Ministry and to ensure worksite
safety.

He later met personnel of Geological Surveys and Mineral Exploration
Department and gave instructions.
___________________________________

6. Minister looks into development in Kyaukpadaung

YANGON, 8 Jan - Minister for Progress of Border Areas and National Races and
Development Affairs Col Thein Nyunt, accompanied by Director-General of
Development Affairs Department and officials, inspected construction of
Sonkone-Natkanle road being undertaken by Kyaukpadaung Township Development
Affairs Department, which will link Meiktila with Myingyan, in Kyaukpadaung
Township on 6 January.

The minister gave instructions on the building of the road.

Minister Col Thein Nyunt then inspected the tube-well in the township.

The township executive officer reported to the minister on the water supply
system for 18 villages and wards.

The minister gave instruction; on water supply.

The minister and party met town elders at Kyaukpadaung Township Development
Affairs Department Office in the afternoon.
__________________________________

7. Child of debtor taken hostage

YANGON, 8 Jan - Three armed men, who took a 10 year-old girl hostage in
downtown yesterday afternoon, were arrested by security personnel led by
officers of Directorate of Defence Services Intelligence and regional
security units and battalions in cooperation with Myanmar Police Force
members in a few hours.

The kidnappers were Mala (a) Archun, a timber trader, and two accomplices.
At about 2.30 pm on 7 January, Mala (a) Archun and accomplices went to U Kyaw
Myint, of 13, 126th Street, Thabyegon Ward, Mingala Taungnyunt Township, told
him to repay his debt owed in buying timber.
As they did not succeed in trying to get back their money from U Kyaw Myint,
took his 10-year-old daughter Ma Thiri Kay Khaing as hostage.
Mala (a) Archun shot the girl?s mother Daw San San Win, who tried to stop
them from taking her daughter, in the abdomen with a 38 revolver. Daw San San
Win was taken to the emergency ward in hospital.

The culprits took the girl to the apartment on the first floor of No 111,
Shwetaungdan Street, Lanmadaw Township. After they had tied up the girl and
kept her in custody, they contacted the girl?s father and demanded the debt
as a ransom.

Soon after receiving the information on the matter the security personnel and
MPF members surrounded the apartment and talked them into solving their
problem according to the law, warning them to surrender.
Around 7 pm, the security 7 personnel raided the apartment. They rescued the
girl unharmed and arrested the trio.

Action is being taken against them for hostage taking and unlawful possession
of fire-arm.

8. 30 Kyunsu NLD members resign of their own accord

YANGON, 8 Jan - Thirty members resigned from National League for Democracy of
Kyunsu Township, Taninthayi Division.

Thirty members of Kyunsu Township NLD, Taninthayi Division, of their own
accord, resigned by sending letters of resignation to Kyunsu Township
Multiparty Democracy General Election Commission Office and the party
concerned on 17 November 1999 as they no longer wished to participate in
party politics of NLD.

WEATHER

Maximum temperature on Jan 7-1-2000 was 33.6 °C (92°F)
Minimum  temperature on Jan 8-1-2000 was 21.5 °C (71°F)

To view with photos browse at -     http://www.myanmar.com/nlm