News Extract from BurmaWatch

Via Lexis Nexis
AAP NEWSFEED

                                       January 10, 2000, Monday

SECTION: Nationwide General News; Overseas News

LENGTH: 114 words

HEADLINE: ASIA: Burma grants father access to jailed Btitish activist _2

BODY:
Burma Mawdsley 2 Rangoon (reopens)    David Mawdsley said his son had not tempered his views in the face of his continuing
imprisonment.

"He has made absolutely no concessions," he told the Times newspaper.

"The jail authorities are in absolute fear of James. He is so positive, so strong, and I am so proud of him."

Mawdsley said he had given his son his full support when he decided to return to Burma last year.

"For quite some time I discussed at length with him different ways of doing it," he said.

"But James is a very determined, honest, decent young man. Once I realised he wasn't going to be dissuaded, I went with him and
supported him all along."

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH

LOAD-DATE: January 10, 2000