CNA-More women taking up engineerin

Subject: CNA-More women taking up engineering courses at Ngee Ann Polytechnic

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BF5C9D.9F5A9D80

Channel NewsAsia
Monday, January 10 10:05 PM SGT=20
More women taking up engineering courses at Ngee Ann Polytechnic
More women are taking up engineering courses in Ngee Ann Polytechnic, =
and some have even beaten their male counterparts to emerge top in their =
class.=20
Last year, the enrolment of female engineering students in Ngee Ann =
Polytechnic hit a record high of 23 percent.=20

Electrical engineering students, 20-year-old Yang Xuan and 22-year-old =
Win Nu Nu Win are just two of them making up this increase.=20

Both foreign students, they had not only excelled among the ladies, they =
even outshone the guys to become top students in this largely male =
dominated field.=20

Win Nu, who is from Myanmar, scored 6 distinctions and 1A in her last =
semester examinations.=20

She attributed her success to her sense of curiosity.=20

      Said Win Nu:
      "When I was young , whenever I see all the electrical appliances =
just as TV, video and computers, I want to know how they work and how =
they develop."=20

Another electrical student Yang Xuan, from China, also had a perfect =
score of 6 distinctions in the last 2 semesters.=20

      Speaking of her success, Yang Xuan has this to say:
      "It's much harder for me to understand the theorem compared with =
the male students so I need to extra hours to study...Maybe someone =
spent one hour for the tutorial, I will spent 3 to 5 hours."=20

Just as hardworking is Singaporean Tan Cai Yun, one of the top female =
students in Mechanical Engineering.=20

She was one of 18 female students awarded the Motorola Awards for =
outstanding academic results.=20

      Said Tan:

      "I've to work hard for it sometimes I even have to think like a =
guy how they think, how they are going to solve those problems."
    =20

According to Ngee Ann, courses like shipbuilding and offshore =
engineering have also seen the female enrolment go up to one third of =
the cohort last year.=20

While other polytechnics, like Singapore Polytechnic, have not seen a =
similar increase in female students over the last 5 years.=20

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BF5C9D.9F5A9D80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>Channel NewsAsia</B></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>Monday, January 10</B> 10:05 PM SGT =
</DIV>
<H2><FONT color=3D#800000 size=3D4>More women taking up engineering =
courses at Ngee=20
Ann Polytechnic</FONT></H2>
<DIV>More women are taking up engineering courses in Ngee Ann =
Polytechnic, and=20
some have even beaten their male counterparts to emerge top in their =
class.=20
</DIV>
<P>Last year, the enrolment of female engineering students in Ngee Ann=20
Polytechnic hit a record high of 23 percent.=20
<P>Electrical engineering students, 20-year-old Yang Xuan and =
22-year-old Win Nu=20
Nu Win are just two of them making up this increase.=20
<P>Both foreign students, they had not only excelled among the ladies, =
they even=20
outshone the guys to become top students in this largely male dominated =
field.=20
<P>Win Nu, who is from Myanmar, scored 6 distinctions and 1A in her last =

semester examinations.=20
<P>She attributed her success to her sense of curiosity.=20
<P>
<TABLE bgColor=3D#99ccff border=3D0 cellPadding=3D3 cellSpacing=3D0 =
width=3D"100%">
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD><FONT face=3Dhelvetica, size=3D3 arial, sanserif><B>Said Win=20
      Nu:</B><BR>"When I was young , whenever I see all the electrical=20
      appliances just as TV, video and computers, I want to know how =
they work=20
      and how they develop."</FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<P>Another electrical student Yang Xuan, from China, also had a perfect =
score of=20
6 distinctions in the last 2 semesters.=20
<P>
<TABLE bgColor=3D#99ccff border=3D0 cellPadding=3D3 cellSpacing=3D0 =
width=3D"100%">
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD><FONT face=3Dhelvetica, size=3D3 arial, sanserif><B>Speaking of =
her=20
      success, Yang Xuan has this to say:</B><BR>"It's much harder for =
me to=20
      understand the theorem compared with the male students so I need =
to extra=20
      hours to study...Maybe someone spent one hour for the tutorial, I =
will=20
      spent 3 to 5 hours."</FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<P>Just as hardworking is Singaporean Tan Cai Yun, one of the top female =

students in Mechanical Engineering.=20
<P>She was one of 18 female students awarded the Motorola Awards for =
outstanding=20
academic results.=20
<P>
<TABLE bgColor=3D#99ccff border=3D0 cellPadding=3D3 cellSpacing=3D0 =
width=3D"100%">
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD><FONT face=3Dhelvetica, size=3D3 arial, sanserif><B>Said =
Tan:</B><BR>
      <P>"I've to work hard for it sometimes I even have to think like a =
guy how=20
      they think, how they are going to solve those=20
  problems."</P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<P>According to Ngee Ann, courses like shipbuilding and offshore =
engineering=20
have also seen the female enrolment go up to one third of the cohort =
last year.=20
<P>While other polytechnics, like Singapore Polytechnic, have not seen a =
similar=20
increase in female students over the last 5 years. =
</P></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BF5C9D.9F5A9D80--