BurmaNet News: January 27, 2000

=========== The BurmaNet News ===========
January 27, 2000
Issue # 1448

Noted in passing:

''The gunmen put their weapons down and then the Thai troops came into
the room and took them away. All of us were still on the floor. After a
few minutes, we heard more shooting.''
    Krittaya Uleenoi, a Thai girl, aged 11.
    (See NATION: GOVT DENIES PRISONERS 'EXECUTED')

=========
Headlines
=========

International--

ICFTU-APRO: "KATHMANDU DECLARATION"-- TRADE UNIONS HAVE A PRINCIPAL ROLE
TO PLAY RESTORING BURMA DEMOCRACY

NATION: GOVT DENIES PRISONERS 'EXECUTED'

BANGKOK POST: IT WAS THEM OR US, SAYS CHUAN

BANGKOK POST: SOME HAD THEIR HANDS UP

BANGKOK POST: AUTOPSIES TO CLEAR DOUBTS OVER IDENTITIES OF RAIDERS

SYDNEY MORNING HERALD: WITNESS SAY BURMESE WERE SHOT IN COLD BLOODED

ASIAN AGE: "DID KAREN REBELS SURRENDER?"

AFP: THAILAND WARNS EXILED STUDENTS TO BEHAVE

UNITED NATIONS: COMMITTEE ON ELIMINATION OF DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN
CONCLUDES CONSIDERATION OF MYANMAR REPORT

CHIN NATIONAL FRONT: CNF DOES NOT COLLECT TAXES IN INDIA
===

Editorial--
WASHINGTON POST: TERROR IN BURMA

BANGKOK POST: A CRY FOR HELP FALLS ON DEAF EARS

NATION: RAID RAISES MANY, MANY QUESTIONS

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 INTERNATIONAL
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

ICFTU-APRO: "KATHMANDU DECLARATION"-- TRADE UNIONS HAVE A PRINCIPAL ROLE
TO PLAY RESTORING BURMA DEMOCRACY

LABOUR FLASH
No. 861, Tuesday, January 25, 2000
BY ICFTU ASIAN AND PACIFIC REGIONAL ORGANISATION, SINGAPORE

BURMA
	Trade union leaders and representatives of international and
intergovernmental organizations, participating in an International Trade
Union Conference on Democracy for Burma, Kathmandu, January 20-22,
adopted a "Kathmandu Declaration" stating that the trade union movement
has a principal role and obligation to play in the restoration of
democracy in Burma.

	The Conference jointly organized by the ICFTU Asian and Pacific
Regional Organisation (ICFTU-APRO) and the International Trade
Secretariats (ITS) considered action strategies in three working groups,
namely trade union development, economic and political sanctions and
lobby/publicity work. The Conference outlined the leading role of trade
unions in exerting political and economic pressure on the military
junta.

	Addressing the Conference, ICFTU-APRO General Secretary Noriyuki Suzuki
assured unstinted cooperation and support to the democratic forces in
Burma, including the Federation of Trade Unions, Burma (FTUB), in their
relentless struggle for the restoration of democracy in Burma.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
NATION: GOVT DENIES PRISONERS 'EXECUTED'
January 27, 2000
PRIME Minister Chuan Leekpai led the government's vigorous defence
yesterday of the swift, deadly raid on the Ratchaburi Hospital which
left 10 Burmese minority gunmen dead and freed hundreds of their Thai
hostages, amid speculation about summary executions during the
operation.
Witnesses' accounts and some evidence suggested that some of the
terrorists could have been shot after they surrendered. But Chuan denied
that extra-judicial killing was practised and vowed to clarify all the
government's actions to the public.

''In situations like that, there is no time to surrender,'' Chuan said.
''They were not asleep or tied up when the troops moved in. They were
carrying their weapons, and if the troops had been slower, the question
would have changed to why we sent our men to die.''

Chuan admitted that there could be ''some questions'' about the
operation, adding ''but I'm ready to answer them all''.

Government spokesman Akapol Sorasuchart yesterday denounced media
reports of possible summary execution of the Karen hostage-takers as
''misleading'' and demanded sympathy for the commandos who risked their
lives. He pointed out that the raid took place after the guerrillas
repeatedly rejected the government's condition that they surrender.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sukhumbhand Paribatra insisted, sarcastically,
that the Thai troops, in the commotion and high-stakes situation, could
not pause to say hello to the gunmen, shake their hands and ask if they
wanted to surrender.

Akapol condemned the Khao Sod newspaper for publishing pictures of the
bodies of the gunmen, stripped to their underwear, and thus sparking the
conjecture of extra-judicial killing. ''Nowhere else on earth can these
kind of offensive images be published on a newspaper's front page,'' he
said.

But it was some witnesses' accounts that fuelled the speculation.
Krittaya Uleenoi, 11, recalled that Pre Dah (the group leader) was about
to set off his grenade when the Thai commandos started sweeping in, but
hostages begged him not to.
''I pulled his arm and pleaded with him not to do it. All the others
were making the same plea. He looked at me and put the grenade down,''
she said. Afterwards, about 50 other hostages who were in the
outpatients room screamed out the window to the Thai authorities:
''They've surrendered, they've surrendered.''

''The gunmen put their weapons down and then the Thai troops came into
the room and took them away. All of us were still on the floor. After a
few minutes, we heard more shooting,'' she said.

There are still bloodstains, partially covered by sand, in the room on
the second floor of another section of the hospital where reportedly
most of the terrorists were killed. There was no physical evidence of
fighting as everything in the room was intact, except for what appeared
to be bullet holes in the wall about 30 centimetres above the ground.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
BANGKOK POST: IT WAS THEM OR US, SAYS CHUAN
January 27, 2000

Rebels weren't shot dead in cold blood
Yuwadee Tunyasiri and Ampa Santimatanedol
The prime minister yesterday defended the commandos who killed all 10
rebels in a Ratchaburi hospital raid on Tuesday against criticism their
actions were inhumane.

"It was either them or us," Chuan Leekpai said. The commandos had to be
quick and sure if their mission to end the 22-hour hostage crisis was to
be successful. As the rebels were all carrying guns, the assault team
had to act fast or they might not have survived.
"The rebels were not asleep or tied up when we went in there," the prime
minister said. There were reports some of the rebels had surrendered,
but were still shot in the head after being ordered to undress and kneel
down.

Mr Chuan said this was not true.
The human rights issue was only raised because the crisis ended without
a big loss of Thai lives.

Had any of the commandos been killed, questions about whether they had
acted cruelly would not be asked, he said. "Had our men been killed, I
would have been asked why I had let them die," Mr Chuan said.

He insisted that the government needed to think about the safety of the
special commando force, which comprised police and military personnel.
He ruled out claims that the operation was inhumane and that some of the
rebels had surrendered. The prime minister said that as he understood
it, the rescue operation had to be swift.

There was no time for the rebels to surrender.
The use of force was necessary after authorities tried unsuccessfully
through peaceful means to resolve the crisis, leaving the rebels with no
time to surrender.

The government wanted to save every life, he saidThe situation would not
have ended in tragedy if the rebels had agreed to surrender in the first
place.
Criticism came after a witness said the commandos had over-reacted and
that they shot some hostage-takers in the head without caring about the
safety of the people in the hospital.
The rebels did not deserve to die because they were polite to the
hostages and did not harm anyone, the witness said.

The rebels did not seem prepared to fight back, she said.
Mr Chuan said people should look on the positive side as the mission
ended swiftly with no loss of the lives of the hostages.
"This was not an easy thing to do, but because it appeared easy the
success of the operation might have been overlooked," he said.

Mr Akapol said the commandos were trained to shoot in the head as the
rebels may have been wearing bullet-proof vests.
The bodies were stripped because their clothes had to be kept as
evidence. He also denied they had marks on their wrists made by
handcuffs. The commandos had tied electric cable around their wrists
when they lifted the bodies to check if there were grenades underneath
them.

"This is normal procedure," he said.
The rebels were not forced to kneel and then shot in the head in cold
blood.

He also confirmed none of the dead rebels had been from Maneeloy camp.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
BANGKOK POST: SOME HAD THEIR HANDS UP
January 27, 2000

Some had their hands up
We could not take chances, says officer
Some of the God's Army guerrillas were shot dead after they had raised
their hands in surrender, a special forces officer who took part in the
mission said yesterday.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, the officer said it was necessary
for the troopers to shoot despite the fact that some of the
hostage-takers had surrendered.
"We didn't know whether there were any more guerrillas hiding somewhere
who might shoot at us," he said. "Besides, it was a life for a life at
the time. If we didn't shoot them, they would shoot us." The officer
from a Lop Buri-based special forces unit said he had shot dead a
guerrilla who had raised his hands. He was not sure the rebel had really
meant to surrender.
"At a range of 10m, I did not miss when I aimed at the head," he said.
The officer was one of 48 troops from Lop Buri assigned to storm the
second floor of the out-patients building where six or seven guerrillas
were holding hostages. The raiding party was ordered to shoot anyone
armed.
Some of his men might have shot dead a few guerrillas who surrendered
after having told them to take off their shirts for a quick search for
weapons and explosives. In such a case, the decision to kill was made by
the individual troopers, he said.
"I had no time to keep watch or to issue orders because each was given a
special assignment and had to accomplish it quickly and pull out
immediately. There was no time for us to strip the guerrillas down to
their underwear or to see how they were killed," said the officer.
Some of the guerrillas were shown in Khao Sod newspaper yesterday
stripped to their underwear, one with his hands tied behind his back.
Special forces personnel had not stripped them, he insisted, suggesting
that was the work of other units that arrived afterward to scour the
area for hidden explosives.
A police paratrooper, however, suggested the dead guerrillas were
stripped by provincial officials for the purpose of medical examination.
Pol Col Preecha Boonsuk, superintendent of the air support unit of
Naresuan camp, denied his men executed the near-naked guerrillas.
"We didn't have time to order people to strip. We had to accomplish our
mission quickly and then pull out," he said.
An army source said the operation encountered an initial problem because
a blueprint of the hospital was not available until about 10pm on
Monday.
However, the map which was obtained lacked detail of the various rooms
on the second floor where most of the hostages were held.
The source also said the special forces unit was not sufficiently
equipped with ammunition, thunderflashes, stun grenades and shotguns.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
BANGKOK POST: AUTOPSIES TO CLEAR DOUBTS OVER IDENTITIES OF RAIDERS

January 27, 2000

Police deny others died in operation
Yuwadee Tunyasiri and Ampa Santimatanedol
Post-mortems will be conducted on the 10 God's Army guerrillas to clear
confusion over their identities.
Authorities refused to open the white shrouds containing the corpses,
sparking speculation the bodies were not those of the hostage-takers.
Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai said the rebels would be identified soon.
One, however, had been confirmed to be Beda, also known as Preeda or
Nui, who took part in the seizure of the Burmese embassy in October.
Pol Gen Pracha Promnok, the national police chief, said Pol Maj-Gen
Chalermchart Sitanond, deputy commander of Region 7, would oversee the
post-mortem examinations.
Police would first ask ethnic Karen living in border areas who suspected
the 10 rebels may have been their relatives to help identify them.
It was not certain if Johnny, or Kyaw Ni, another Burmese dissident who
took a leading role in the embassy occupation, was also among the 10, he
said.
Pol Gen Pracha denied rumours the special force that raided the hospital
had killed some other people and misled the public into thinking they
were rebels.
Akapol Sorasuchart, the government spokesman, said the bodies were kept
at a secret place and had not been cremated or buried as reported.
Pol Maj-Gen Chalermchart said the bodies were kept in the shrouds to
lessen any feeling of revenge that the God's Army may feel at seeing
their fallen comrades.
Doctors at Ratchaburi regional hospital will today be asked to check the
bodies again to clear remaining doubts.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
SYDNEY MORNING HERALD: WITNESS SAY BURMESE WERE SHOT IN COLD BLOODED

Thai hospital siege,27 Jan.2000
by Craig Skehan,Sydney Morning Herald Correspondent,in Bangkok
The Law Society of Thailand has called for an official investigation of
claims that ethnic insurgents from Burma,who had taken hundreds of
hospital patients hostage,were summarily executed.

The Thai media have quoted witnesses as saying the hostagetakers were
killed in cold blood after special forces stormed Rathburi Provincial
Hospital in western Thailand on Tuesday morning.

The Bangkok Post quoted an unnamed hospital official as saying " the
insurgents were ordered to strip and kneel before they were each shot in
the head."

The Thai military andb police have maintained that " all 10 insurgents
were killed while the hospital was being stormed."

However,the president of the human rights committee of the Law society
of Thailand,Mr Somchai Homalor,said yesterday that all of the bodies
should be the subject of a forensic examination.

"The office of the Attorney General should require an investigation
because these persons died in custody or as a result of actions by
officers who were on duty," Mr.Somchai told the Herald.

"This is what the law says should happen."
Mr.Somchai ,who is also the secretary-general of the human rights
organisation Forum Asia, said government officials had released few
details of how the deaths occoured.

Police on Tuesday afternoon displayed the bodies of the 10 dead
insurgents wrapped in sheets.At least 5 of the corpses were stilll
bleeding from the head and there is no sign of bleeding from wounds
elsewhere on their bodies.

There were reports in Thai media that all of the bodies were later
buried by Thai authorities in unmarked graves.
While most of the insurgents were from the ethnic Karen" God's Army",an
unconfirmed number have been linked to Burmese student democracy
activists in volved in taking hostages at Burma's Bangkok embassy last
October.
Public opinion in Thailand is running strongly in favour of the decisive
action ordered by the authorities,and comments by senior official and
members of the government suggest that there is unlikely to be any
detailed investigation of wether the insurgents were summarily executed
as a warning to would-be terrorists.

Mr Somchai,speaking on behalf of Forum Asia,said he was concerned that
the Thai government was being pressured into" becoming an enemy of
ethnic nationalities".
"It would not be good for Thailand to dance to the tune of the Burmese
regime, that would lead to a further spread of Thai side of the border."

Burmese political activists said that the Thai 9th Infantry had allowed
Burmese soldiers to use Thai soil in launching attacks against God's
Army in recent weeks,and mines laid by the Karen guerillas to deter such
collaboration had killed four Thai soldiers.
There is a widely held views that this led to the Thai military's
decision to shell God's Army positions and to the subsequent
determination to punish severely those who occupied the hospital at
Ratchburi.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
ASIAN AGE: "DID KAREN REBELS SURRENDER?"

"The Asian Age" Newspaper
Date-January 27, 2000.

Bangkok, Jan. 26: Thailand has defended the dawn raid by commandos which
ended the 24-hour occupation of a hospital by heavily-armed Myanmarese
rebels in a sustained hail of gunfire on Tuesday.

 None of the hundreds of patients, relatives and staff inside when the
black-clad troops stormed Ratchaburi Hospital was injured despite the 40
minutes of heavy gunfire. But all 10 insurgents from God's Army, an
ethnic Karen rebel group, were killed either during 0r, as some
eyewitnesses suggested, soon after the assault.

 The Thai government is facing embarrassing questions about how the
intruders managed to cross the border, seize a bus and reach Ratchaburi
without being stopped by the police, despite being dressed in military
fatigues and laden with weaponry.

 Adding to the controversy, some of the freed hostages have suggested
that some of the raiders died, not in the heat of battle but were shot
dead afterwards.

 Several hostages said they saw some of the rebels trying to surrender.
"I saw one taken by commandos out of the room where I was hiding with
his arms up holding his gun above his head", said a woman who had been
visiting a relative when the hospital was seized at 7 am on Monday.
 Other said they saw a gunman injured and unable to move unassisted.

 The Thai Prime Minister, Mr. Chuan Leekpai, said the authorities had
not wanted violence, but it had been unavoidable. " As long as our
neighbours still have problems and refugee still cross (into Thailand)
we may not be able to avoid facing this sort of problem", he said.

 "These people have conflicts with the Myanmar Government. We are in a
difficult position because they were forced out of the border area
adjoining our territory".

 The head of the Thai National Security Council said the only way to
prevent a repeat was to speed the resettlement in third countries of
thousands Myanmarese dissidents living in Thailand. The regional police
commander, Lt. Gen Anant Heamathanong, said all the
rebels died during the assault, and that none have been "executed". Nine
died initially and one later on, he said.

 Six hours after the siege ended, their bodies were laid out an entrance
tied up in heavy white cloth.
 Four or five had heavy bloodstains around the head and nowhere else.
The decision to attack was taken only after negotiations failed, said a
Foreign Ministry spokesman. "We tried our best to be reasonable, but it
failed. This is a clear message from Thailand that we won't tolerate
terrorism," said Don Pramudwinai. "They (God's Army) might not be the
most ferocious group, but when you are dealing with terrorists you have
to aim for the maximum result. We hope never to have this sort of
incident again".

 God's Army is lead by 12 year-old twin boys with supposedly invincible
powers. It is a splinter group of the Karen National Union, which has
been fighting for autonomy from Burma for 50 years.

 Hostages said they were never threatened and when the firing stated
some rebels told them to lie down and get out of harm's way.

(Telegraph Group Limited, London, 2000)

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
AFP: THAILAND WARNS EXILED STUDENTS TO BEHAVE

Agence France Presse

January 26, 2000, Wednesday

BANGKOK, Jan 26

 Thailand on Wednesday delivered a stern warning to exiled Myanmar
students living in the country following the bloody end to the hostage
siege at Ratchaburi hospital.

Interior Minister Sanan Kachornprasart told students they could face
legal action if they made trouble.

"Anyone who misbehaves will be taken away and detained," he said, adding
that Thailand was still committed to helping refugees with cases
grounded on solid human rights concerns.

Up to 2,000 exiled students registered with the Nations High Commisioner
for Refugees (UNHCR) live in Thailand and have had an uneasy
relationship with the authorities in recent times.

One student was detained by police on Tuesday after he expressed unease
about the killing the 10 hostage-takers in a raid which ended the 24
hour siege, Sanan said.

After a siege at Myanmar's embassy in Bangkok last year, in which
several of the Ratchaburi hostage takers were involved, Thailand
announced it planned to send the 2,000 students to third countries.

Most of them are living in a detention camp at Manelooy, near
Ratchaburi, which has been the scene of unrest several times in recent
months.

Beijing is coordinating with UNHCR over sending students abroad.

Thailand is also home to 100,000 refugees who have fled fighting between
insurgent groups and the Myanmar junta.

The government also last year launched an operation to deport around a
million illegal workers, most of which were from Myanmar.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
UNITED NATIONS: COMMITTEE ON ELIMINATION OF DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN
CONCLUDES CONSIDERATION OF MYANMAR REPORT

BurmaNet Editor's note: The Convention on the Elimination of all
forms of Discrimination Against Women is a United Nations treaty to
which Burma is a party. At the CEDAW committee meeting in New York
The Burmese government representative presented their report on
compliance with the CEDAW Convention, and was questioned by the CEDAW
committee members. The questions, responses and final report are
available on the web on three pages:
www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2000/20000121.wom1159.doc.html
www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2000/20000121.wom1160.doc.html
www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2000/20000126.wom1166.doc.html
===

COMMITTEE ON ELIMINATION OF DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN CONCLUDES
CONSIDERATION OF MYANMAR REPORT

[For the full text of this report, go to:
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2000/20000126.wom1166.doc.html]

The detention of Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi could be
misconstrued as a deliberate attempt by the Myanmar Government to
discriminate against women, the representative of Myanmar told the
Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women this
afternoon as it discussed that country compliance with the Convention on
the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women.
He said it was untrue that Aung San Suu Kyi was under house arrest. She
was currently free to attend social functions and even meet with
diplomats in Yangon. However, she had been restrained in 1989 and had
not been allowed to participate in the 1990 elections. Furthermore, he
said, upon the lifting of that house restraint in 1995, she had begun to
threaten the Government with utter devastation unless it entered into
dialogue with her political party.
Other members of the Myanmar delegation dealt with aspects of its
compliance with the Convention in areas including education, health,
trafficking and prostitution of women, violence against women and
marriage.
Aida Gonzalez Martinez of Mexico, Committee Chairperson, said Aung San
Suu Kyi's living conditions demanded the world's attention. The
Committee was also concerned about the living conditions and human
rights of various ethnic groups in Myanmar. They should all be able to
live in peace under the law.
Several experts also expressed concern about Aung San Suu Kyi. One said
that due to geographical inhibitions and lack of information, it was
difficult to know exactly what might be happening in a country. However,
as far as she knew, the Nobel Prize was usually awarded to nationals of
a country for their achievements in the area of peace. If the Committee
took up the situation of Aung San Suu Kyi, it was also its duty to
pursue it, particularly its humanitarian aspect.
The Committee will meet again at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow to begin its
consideration of the combined second and third periodic reports of
Burkina Faso.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
CHIN NATIONAL FRONT: CNF DOES NOT COLLECT TAXES IN INDIA

General Headquarters, Chinland

 Statement on Myanmar rebels deposing illegal tax collections in Mizoram
by Chin National Front

 Chin National Front (CNF) is fighting hand in hand with other
nationalities in Burma against illegal government of military regime of
Burma in order to restore democracy and human rights and establish
federal union. As so, CNF always respect human rights, oblige
international laws and sovereignty of other states and give high
priority to have good relation with other
 countries especially to its neighboring countries of India and
Bangladesh.

 As Chin National Army (CNA) is the arm wing of CNF, CNA are guided to
respect and follow strictly human rights, international laws and
sovereignty of others states by CNF. Further more, CNF enacted codes of
military conduct
 based on Geneva Convention to be followed by CNA.

 CNF is surprised to read the news that Home Ministry of India accused
CNA as collection of illegal taxes from transporters and businessmen in
Mizoram State which was written in "The Hindustan Times" on January 3rd,
2000. As
 mention has been already made in the above, CNA follows and respects
international laws and sovereignty of the other states, CNA never
collect any tolls or taxes in other soils including Mizoram State. CNF
would like to
 announce especially to the people of India that the news heading "
Myanmar rebels deposing illegal tax collections in Mizoram" is totally
wrong information.

 Now, the military regime of Burma (Self-style State Peace and
Development Council) is despair for how to continue holding the power
because of more and more pressure from every corner. The regime is
trying to crack down by any means against pro-democracy activists who
base in neighboring countries lest the pressure is lesser. In order to
have confusion and misunderstanding
 on us by the people of Mizoram State and India, the military regime is
spreading terror news in India. Therefore, CNF would like to request the
People of Mizoram and India to keep alert on the activities of military
regime on India's soil and appeal people of India not to allow the
military regime to do such dreadful things in India's territory.

 Date : 6th January 2000
 Central Executive Committee

 Myanmar rebels depositing illegal tax collections in Mi ZORAM

 Aizawl , January 3.MYANMAR REBELS working mainly for the Chin National
Army (CNA) were depositing huge amounts, illegally collected as tax
money from Chin independent State, at their Mizoram- based " information
centre " ,
 Home Ministry said today.

 A note by Ministry said self styled Sergeant Pawnge of the CNA had
depositedRs.30000 at the organization's Azawl - based "information
centre" on December 15 last year.

 According to note, the Chin Rebels, fighting for sovereign State within
Myanmar , were collecting tax mainly from transporters and businessmen
operating near the Indian border .

 The tax money was mainly being used to buy weapons to sustain their
fighting against the military junta of Myanmar . '' Part of the money is
also being used to bring out until - Government literature" a senior
Home Ministry official said.

 (UNI)The above news was originally written by the national papers of
The Hindustan Times" on January 3rd 2000.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
 EDITORIALS
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
WASHINGTON POST: TERROR IN BURMA

January 27, 2000, Thursday, Final Edition

IT SEEMS TOO bizarre to admit of rational explanation: a terrorist
organization of fundamentalist Christians in the jungle of Southeast
Asia, calling itself God's Army, led by twin long-haired, cigar-smoking
12-year-old boys who proclaim themselves invulnerable to bullets and
land mines. The group burst into prominence this week when it briefly
seized control of a provincial Thai hospital, before being routed by
Thai commandos. Little is known of the boys, who apparently did not
participate in the attack; perhaps their appeal can never be explained.

But the circumstances giving rise to such terrorism are easily
understood; ultimately responsible is Burma's brutal regime, which
practices a kind of state terrorism all its own. The Burmese generals
have driven more than 1 million people (out of a population of 47
million) into exile in neighboring Thailand. According to a recent field
survey led by Johns Hopkins University's Dr. Chris Beyer and others,
these people took refuge across the border to escape the regime's
widespread practice of forced labor, the burden of corrupt officials
demanding money and labor, and equally corrupt military commanders who
steal food, livestock and land. Some refugees interviewed by the team of
public health workers were political dissidents or their families who
had been imprisoned and tortured before fleeing; others were apolitical
families who simply could not survive in such a harshly repressive
climate.

Many migrants are virtually enslaved in sweatshops by exploitative Thai
employers. Others camp out in the jungle, hounded by Burmese and Thai
soldiers alike. The twin brothers of God's Army are said to hail from a
village that Burmese soldiers burned after raping women and killing men;
such abuses are widespread enough to make the legend plausible.

None of this excuses the terrorism of God's Army. Aung San Suu Kyi,
Burma's Nobel Peace Prize-winning democratic leader, has consistently
rejected violence as a tactic against the regime that keeps her under
house arrest. Among other consequences, the hospital seizure will hurt
legitimate Burmese dissidents who have found shelter in Thailand and the
courageous Thai officials who support them.

But it is also true that Burma's difficulties, including the problems
that spill into neighboring Thailand, will persist as long as the
brutality of its junta does. The United Nations needs to appoint a
special envoy to make clear to the generals the urgency of dialogue with
Burma's democrats, who after all won an election (never honored) 10
years ago. Japan and Burma's Southeast Asian neighbors should redouble
their commitment not to invest in Burma's murderous regime. And the
generals themselves should devote less effort to pointing fingers at
others and more to curbing the terrorism they practice against their own
people every day.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
BANGKOK POST: A CRY FOR HELP FALLS ON DEAF EARS

Sanitsuda Ekachai - Bangkok Post 27 January 2000

When misery from military atrocities in our neighbouring country spills
over to threaten our national security, what should we do? Help the
victims or side with the oppressors?If we choose to turn a blind eye to
the kind of tyranny that we ourselves would never tolerate, then we have
some serious soul-searching to do.

The siege at the Ratchaburi hospital by a group of Burmese rebels is the
latest in a string of problems afflicted upon Thailand as a result of
longstanding political oppression and ethnic cleansing in Burma. And
because of Thai complicity.

Deforestation. Drug trafficking. The influx of illegal labour. A new
wave of communicable diseases. A rise in crime. And now terrorism. These
national security problems are the end product of military oppression in
Burma. Yet, we blame the lambs instead of getting the wolves.

Prolonged civil war in Burma has sent hill people fleeing to safety in
Thailand, leading to deforestation on our side of the border. The Thai
authorities' standard response is blanket eviction, which often affects
our
own indigenous hill people.

Some ethnic groups in Burma use drug money to oil their war machines as
part of their political self-determination effort. If you think this is
distant reality, check the drug problem in any school near home.

It's the ordinary people who suffer most from unending civil war and the
state's systematic oppression which perpetuates poverty and gross
violations of human rights.

Millions of refugees from war and poverty have fled across the border in
search of safety and hope even though many end up living a dog's life in
Thailand's sweatshops and brothels.

But whenever the problem of illegal workers is brought up, the real
oppressor is never blamed. Nor the exploiters-the Thai and foreign
investors who prosper from modern slavery. Only the victims are
condemned-for stealing jobs from Thais and for threatening public
safety.

In the Ratchaburi hostage drama, the terrorists' pleas exposed the Thai
military's role in cornering them so they had to resort to violence.
Heavy shelling had killed hundreds of civilians and the refugees had
been refused
humanitarian aid.

But few paid attention to their desperation as terrorism is
unacceptable. And terrorism fans the Thai public's ethnic prejudices and
fervent nationalism-exactly what warmongers want.

Why? If peace and democracy in Burma would help significantly reduce
Thailand's national security problems, what has kept our policy-makers
from working for reconcilation in Burma? Diplomatic constraints? Fear of
interfering in another country's internal affairs? Or is it just money?
The
Thai authorities insist they cannot get tough because Thai fishing
operations depend on Burmese waters. But fisheries money is nothing
compared with underworld bounties.

Timber money. Drug money. Human trafficking money. These are bottomless
sources of cash for powerful, well-connected people on both sides of the
border. That's why Thai accomplices believe the status quo in Burma must
stay intact and rebellions kept in line. Forget the people's misery.

Our authorities love to talk about Thailand's need to join the
borderless world in order not to be left behind. But, like it or not,
the influx of foreign labour, new diseases and terrorism are the other
side of the
globalisation coin.

We must stop viewing the border problems through nationalist eyes, but
as they really are-the result of political oppression within and
economic imbalances without.

Only when justice and equity prevail, domestically and internationally,
will the oppressed not need to use violence to fight back.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
NATION: RAID RAISES MANY, MANY QUESTIONS

 IMAGINE a group of young guerrillas, brave yet
soft-hearted and naÔve, if not downright foolish. Their base has been
bombarded by both Thai artillery and
Burmese troops. In the crossfire, many of the fighters and innocent camp
civilians are injured. There are not enough doctors to treat them, and
medicine is running low.

 Desperate and angry with the once-friendly Thais, a band
 of young men decide to embark on a high-risk and
 poorly-planned mission. They arm themselves heavily,
 cross the border into Thailand and hijack a public bus.
 After some argument among themselves about their
 destination, they finally select the sprawling compound
 of the provincial hospital of Ratchaburi.

They were wrong to do it and then did it wrongly. Their
seizure of the hospital violated not only humanitarian rules, but the
terrorist manual itself. Hostages were not tightly  supervised as the
gunmen tried to spread their control to the many buildings. Government
spies managed to sneak  in and mingle with the fledging terrorists and
their  hostages, setting the stage for the gang's deadly downfall.

When government troops swept in before dawn, it was all
over quickly -- 10 young bodies were carried out in
blood-stained shrouds shortly after the sun rose.

Details were sketchy and somewhat contradicting. What
appeared certain was that few guerrillas were prepared to
fight. Some, according to hostages, were shot after
shouting their intention to surrender. No hostage was
harmed.

Now, imagine you are Manoon Waewtapthep. Your
78-year-old mother suffers from diabetes and is in
Ratchaburi Hospital for treatment. Doctors say she is all
right and can be released within a few days. Then 10
terrorists come storming in with rifles, bombs and
hand-grenades. In the middle of the protracted
commotion, the old woman is suddenly gripped by severe
chest pains, but the doctors have either run away or are
being held captive. She dies.

Three other patients died during the 22-hour siege and
some others nearly did. One boy was left unattended after
an operation, but he managed to hang on and was saved
by quick action once the gunfire ended and the smoke had
cleared . A pregnant woman went into labour while in
captivity, which could have been a tragedy but for a group of nurses who
arranged for her to be sneaked out to
safety.

Put yourself in Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai's place.
Your soft approach toward five Burmese students who
seized the Burmese Embassy last October to highlight
their plight and their opposition to the regime at home
becomes a ''damned if you do, damned if you don't''
situation. You let them go, expecting them and their peers to at least
show appreciation for what you did. After all, they have captured world
attention and are getting away safely. But no, there is little hint of
appreciation of kindness and it turns out your tolerance only served to
magnify their senseless aggression.

Next, they take a hospital. Hundreds of lives hang in the
balance. You cannot let them go this time, and they will not surrender.
They give you no other choice but to act in a way which you hope ends
the hostage situation quickly, and at the same time, deliver a chilling,
unmistakable message. Your compassion has been taken for granted, after
all.

These were the clashing perspectives that came to a head
in the inevitable tragedy that materialised on Tuesday
morning.

While few people questioned the need for Thai troops to
have attacked, controversy was developing over the
manner in which some of the gunmen were killed. Some
news reports quoted witnesses as saying a number of the
terrorists were shot after giving themselves up or were
under arrest.

Khao Sod yesterday published pictures of the dead
gunmen, who were stripped to their underwear. Witnesses
who entered rooms where some gunmen had been killed
found no bullet holes in the walls. And most of the slain
were shot in the head.

Much evidence suggested some of deaths were
extra-judicial executions. But the government insisted such an
assumption was unfair, because the gunmen were not ordinary criminals
running for their lives with a mere gun or knife in a secluded alley.
They carried assault rifles, hand grenades and had planted powerful
bombs in the area, and nobody knew if someone held a remote control that
could blow up the whole complex.

''In situations like that, there is no time to surrender,'' Chuan said
yesterday, leading the government's collective defence of the
shoot-to-kill action. ''They were not asleep or tied up when the troops
moved in. They were carrying their weapons, and if the troops had been
slower, the question would have changed into why we sent our men in
there to die.''

Government spokesman Akapol Sorasuchart pleaded for
sympathy for the commandos who risked their lives to
save the hostages, none of whom were hurt in the
commando operation, while Deputy Foreign Minister
Sukhumbhand Paribatra insisted that such a rescue could
not be done in a half-hearted way. Most of all, the gunmen had been
given a chance to surrender.

''Under such circumstances the commandos couldn't say
'hello' to the gunmen, extend their hands and ask if they
would like to give themselves up,'' Sukhumbhand said.

There were accounts of a close call, in which a guerrilla
was planning to detonate a bomb but heeded his
hostages' pleas in the last second, and of remarkable
selflessness in which gunmen told their hostages to lie
down when the government forces began closing in.

''They told us to get down when the troops came nearer,'' a woman told
the BBC. ''No gun was turned against us. We
persuaded them to give up, and I saw some laying down
their weapons or holding their rifles aloft.'' She said the commandos
told Thais to leave the room through one exit and the gunmen the other.
Nobody was killed at that
moment.''

Somchai Homla-or, president of the Human Right
Commission and secretary-general of Forum-Asia, called
for an investigation into the 10 deaths at the Ratchaburi
hospital, saying extra-judicial killing after the
hostage-takers laid down their weapons was against both
Thai and international laws. While calling the gunmen's
seizure of the hospital unacceptable, Somchai said the
government should make it clear to the world community
that all humanitarian principles were respected in the
crackdown.

The human rights lawyer said that according to Thai law
the corpses of the terrorists had to be sent for an autopsy at the
Institute of Forensic Medicine, and the Office of the Attorney-General
should make an inquiry into this case, to bring the fact to the public.

''Some people may think that problems can be solved by
using violence, without respecting the law and human
rights. But in fact, this wrong operation will add more
problems and more violence, while the real problem has
never been settled,'' he said, accusing the Burmese
government of being the real cause of the raid.

To advocates of the Thai troops' operation, the same can
be said to the ''freedom fighters''. Violent means can never be used to
promote a noble ideology or support the
struggle of the innocent. Once the line had been crossed,
the distinction between good and evil became
dangerously blurred.

Faster, stronger and able to send millions
of emails in one click: the new Topica site!
http://www.topica.com/t/14